PDA

View Full Version : Members with 0 posts..

SuperSwede
May 29th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I saw that we had a lot of members that has 0 posts... Perhaps we should delete those after a while so that the members list will be more accurate.

Robert
May 29th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well, they could always come back and post one of these days. I'll think about that suggestion though.

Tim
May 29th, 2006, 09:05 AM
What about programming the computer to delete those members who do not post after 6months? Make sure you place a statement in the posting guidelines.

I also think you should make posting guidelines easier to find. I had a hard time finding it. Can you put it in the red banner along with User CP, FAQ, Member’s List, etc? With it being under “FAQ” a new member may not read it.

Just my thoughts.

SuperSwede
May 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Well, they could always come back and post one of these days. I'll think about that suggestion though.

If so, they could easily register again...

Justaguyin_nc
May 29th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Some may just enjoy reading and learning ... And as Robert mentioned.. come back some day to post... Im on a few forums that I just read and never post.. ( no that does not mean Im gonna quit posting here so don't ask..lol) would hate to think they would delete me because I didn't post enough.. I would just find another place and they would lose out on that ONE good post from me in a year or so...

Tim
May 29th, 2006, 02:25 PM
What about programming the computer to delete those members who do not post after 6months?

On second thought ... maybe after one year.

Myles
May 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM
You have to realize that just because there is a 0 in posts beside someone's name doesn't mean they aren't socializing with other members. This number does not track the private messages that these users use to contact fret members. Some people really just enjoy reading and would rather ask someone a personal question (especially since they have no fear of public scruteny this way) rather than voice their questions, concerns or comments to the general public.

Now while these introverted types are likely the minority on the boards here, we aren't about to not let them experience the fret how they see fit. Also, you can't downplay the fact that people are more likely to join a large community rather than a small one.

However, I would like to encourage any of you out there reading and a little hesitant to post to give it a try and you'll find that's incredibly addictive and fun!

blogan
May 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I did a quick look through the vBulletin online documentation. It looks like it's possible to prune users who haven't logged on for a while, say, a year. That would seem to be a more relevant criterion for deleting members.

SuperSwede
May 30th, 2006, 02:54 AM
That sounds like a good solution Blogan.

Vitalmyles, I can see your point but I must say that it would be a bad thing if we lured in people pretending that we had more active members than we have. Just my 2 eurocents...

Myles
May 31st, 2006, 01:29 PM
That sounds like a good solution Blogan.

Vitalmyles, I can see your point but I must say that it would be a bad thing if we lured in people pretending that we had more active members than we have. Just my 2 eurocents...
Agreed, but you'll notice that we now have the number of active members displayed so people won't be lured in by massive numbers like 114. I guess we'll just have to find another way to lure people to the fret, maybe I should start another account as Shania Twain.. hmm...

SuperSwede
May 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Hmm.. Shania Gain.. might work, why dont you give it a try Vital ;)

Spudman
May 31st, 2006, 02:01 PM
Free beer! always works. Or maybe try free gear and we can send out little plastic cogs to keep us covered legally.

SuperSwede
May 31st, 2006, 02:07 PM
Right on Spudman! Lets make this into one of those fine Free Fender sites! :D

blogan
May 31st, 2006, 04:05 PM
Did someone say Shania (http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=7484&postcount=40)?

I didn't realize FN displayed the number of members until vitamyles mentioned it. 48 active out of 114 total sounds pretty good to me!

Having a lot of members is cool, but I don't think being the next Harmony Central is a good goal. As Yogi Berra said, "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

SuperSwede
June 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Actually I had never seen that either... but I would of course never admit that...

Tim
June 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
How about "Free Ladies Night"?