PDA

View Full Version : Video Lesson 8-28-08 - Time and Rhythm

mark wein
August 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hey there!

This is not my typical lesson this week...I am doing a small batch of lessons to cover some of the important parts of my book for the folks who are working from it but don't have an instructor...for those who don't have the book, don't feel left out as I have the appropriate pages in PDF form for you to download without having to buy a book...

This first one is on defining and feeling time in music. I have a second video lesson already shot with some rhythm exercises and if I have a little extra time in the next day or two I might post that one as well :)

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=96&Itemid=35

Have fun and let me know what you think...this really is a departure for me...

Jimi75
August 29th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hello Marc,

Thank you very much for this lesson. I think it is much easier to understand music when you can handle the measures and know approximately what the music rhytmically looks like when written down.

What helped me a lot was buying milimeter paper and drawing all different kind of measures and rythms in it. Staring from 1/4 to 1/32, drawing typical rhythm shapes that everyone uses and knows - our former drummer helped me a lot here. Then I picked a Song I knew very good, printed out the notes not the tablature and tried to read the rhythm along.

mark wein
August 29th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Hello Marc,

Thank you very much for this lesson. I think it is much easier to understand music when you can handle the measures and know approximately what the music rhytmically looks like when written down.

What helped me a lot was buying milimeter paper and drawing all different kind of measures and rythms in it. Staring from 1/4 to 1/32, drawing typical rhythm shapes that everyone uses and knows - our former drummer helped me a lot here. Then I picked a Song I knew very good, printed out the notes not the tablature and tried to read the rhythm along.

No problem!

So were you drawing the rhythms proportionally on the paper?

Jimi75
August 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
No problem!

So were you drawing the rhythms proportionally on the paper?

Yes. I took 4 quarters that in themselves consisted of 4 quarters so I was able to draw in the rhythms. I started with just the qaurters and as soon as I understood what was going on, I started seperating them further and further.

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Mark,

Nice video. I have not been keeping up with your lessons and admittidly have been doing a hit and miss with your lessons while working on other lessons. So instead of using building blocks I found myself a drift with nothing related to the next lesson.

I think I almost have to start at the beginning and move through rapidly until it gets to the point where the challenge sets in. Then from there stay on a steady course.

mark wein
August 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Mark,

Nice video. I have not been keeping up with your lessons and admittidly have been doing a hit and miss with your lessons while working on other lessons. So instead of using building blocks I found myself a drift with nothing related to the next lesson.

I think I almost have to start at the beginning and move through rapidly until it gets to the point where the challenge sets in. Then from there stay on a steady course.

Thanks!

The various lesson series should stand on their own, although if I think you need to have something under your belt before doing a lesson I try to mention and link to the material in each lesson. Starting at the beginning and going chronologically wouldn't hurt, though :)