PDA

View Full Version : Newest song : 'Almost Country'

333maxwell
August 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well.. i've done it again.. I have demonstrated why some people shouldn't try Country music.. please remember if you throw the tomatoe's hard enough they WILL fit through the chicken wire, but there are starving kids out there so tossing them at me is like starving a child..

I present 'Almost Country'.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=676362&content=songinfo&songID=6846638

aeolian
August 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM
"Almost Country" turns out exactly right. You don't exactly have a country singer's voice with the sonorous baritone, instead you have kind of a JJ Cale rasp. Of course you know that and your vocals fit the kind of song you write. I really like the triple (or is it quadruple) harmony; I've always liked octave harmony (the group Squeeze does it well) which you did in this song. My complaint about typical country songs is that they all sound alike; and yours is a different kind of country, call it "Almost Country."

If anything, this song reminds me of some of Elvis Costello's country songs. Did you know he is an absolute fan of old style country music?

333maxwell
August 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
"Almost Country" turns out exactly right. You don't exactly have a country singer's voice with the sonorous baritone, instead you have kind of a JJ Cale rasp. Of course you know that and your vocals fit the kind of song you write. I really like the triple (or is it quadruple) harmony; I've always liked octave harmony (the group Squeeze does it well) which you did in this song. My complaint about typical country songs is that they all sound alike; and yours is a different kind of country, call it "Almost Country."

If anything, this song reminds me of some of Elvis Costello's country songs. Did you know he is an absolute fan of old style country music?

Thanks again for your time and your ear..

I must admit I don't know a lot about Costello.. save he wears Buddy Holly glasses, and did that song I think is called 'Veronica'.. I really like that lil song and always remember him by that.. very nice little tune he wrote there..

Steve206
August 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Maxwell,

I really enjoyed being surprised by things that are hard to explain. You are managing to keep at it and as long as you post them here, I will listen to them.

Thanks,

Steve

warren0728
August 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
very cool....not your traditional sounding country tune.... :bravo:

i really liked "island" too....love the uke/reso combination....gonna have to poke around your site a little more! :beer:

ww

333maxwell
August 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Maxwell,

I really enjoyed being surprised by things that are hard to explain. You are managing to keep at it and as long as you post them here, I will listen to them.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve.. your very kind.. as long as you keep listening, i'll keep posting.. well.. untill I finally get kicked out for being redundant! *G*

333maxwell
August 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
very cool....not your traditional sounding country tune.... :bravo:

i really liked "island" too....love the uke/reso combination....gonna have to poke around your site a little more! :beer:

ww

Hey Warren. thanks a lot man..

ya.. Island was one of those songs that wrote it's self.. I wrote and recorded that one the day Don Ho died.. it came together in about 2 and a half hours from start to finish.. and of course it has my 1960 Baritone Ukeulele in it.. I love that uke..

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
:AOK:Another off-kilter Maxwell fan here. :AOK:

You've got my cool 20 year-old son whistling.

333maxwell
September 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
:AOK:Another off-kilter Maxwell fan here. :AOK:

You've got my cool 20 year-old son whistling.Thanks for the thoughts my friend.. always glad to bring a whisle.