PDA

View Full Version : Concert Report - Crow and Carlile

sunvalleylaw
August 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM
So my wife really wanted to go to Sheryl Crow when she played Wed. in Boise. I am not a huge Sheryl fan, but it sounded fun to go to a concert with my wife so we went.

Sheryl's show was well done, she has a good lead guitarist with her, and a good rhythm guy who also plays mandolin. A lot of lights, glitz, glam and Title 9 catalog looking visuals. She has some really good songs, and the new one about the Gasoline is very entertaining. The band had a very "Stones" feel to it at times, but then would sound more indie folk rock at other times.

But the big surprise and delight to me was the Brandi Carlile band, who opened. They are from the Seattle area, and she was raised not too far from where I was. If you watch Grays Anatomy you have heard a few of her tunes, and her big hit from Grays was used by GM to advertise their biodiesel vehicles during the Olympics. Her CD is modern woman indie and has that "Grays Anatomy" sound shared by The Fray, Snow Patrol, etc., but a little more country indie. She writes some really nice songs. Very expressive and honest.

But her Live performance was a big surprise. Very engaging with the audience, lots of energy, good guitar from her guitarists, and amazing vocals on her part. She, and the band just plain rocked. She did excellent covers of Fortunate Son (i liked her vocal better than Fogerty's), and this cover of Folsom County Prison Blues:

Qxk1mV8eHU0

Rockin', in my opinion. The guitarists were playing big hollowbodies, the lead guy had a black one that looked like that Gretsch I am drooling over, but had a Dean-like headstock. Couldn't quite see what it is. In the above clip, he is the one playing lead on a strat. The full hollowbody assault was killer! Great tones.

Here also is on of her tunes that is on CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMk8CznRSwE&feature=user

(embedding disabled so link only)

And a country-esque one that she did as a spoof. You have to scroll to about 4:12 minutes to get to the set up for song I am referring too. Shows her vocal presence and sense of humor

nxkrNAfwwXI

Anyway, great live show. Worth seeing if you see she is coming your way.

sunvalleylaw
August 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
lckg-3V2TjI&feature=related

street music
August 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks Sun, Brandi is a good entertainer, I would love to see Sheryl myself. Sounds like you had a great time. I off now to catch one tonight.

Algonquin
September 3rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Love the FPB version she does!

Sounded like a great show :AOK: