PDA

View Full Version : Americans, is it really this bad?

Robert
August 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Don't take it the wrong way guys! :)

fJuNgBkloFE

Rick Mercer has done a hilarious job here too about USA and Canada :bravo:
seYUbVa7L7w

sumitomo
August 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yep I knew they were putting drugs in the water.Sumi:D:rotflmao:

Bloozcat
August 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Well, the second video seems to be half spoof, half real, but the first video is definitely real. It's scary how little the average American knows about anything outside of their own little worlds.

The dumbing down of America is real...

hubberjub
August 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
That's pretty much the way I view the average US Citizen.

Algonquin
August 29th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Congratulations Canada on becoming part of North America! :bravo:

aeolian
August 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm American and I know Toronto is not the capitol of Canada, it is that city where those people wear those funny hats! :messedup: What is the name of the place? I'll be back after I Google it.

Algonquin
August 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm American and I know Toronto is not the capitol of Canada, It isn't? :confused:

:canada: :greenguitar: :smile-us:

tot_Ou_tard
August 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yup, the average American on the street knows very little.

just strum
August 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I think it's a cheap shot. You could ask people in the middle east or Asia questions about Canada or US, South America, and you would get a similar mix. They release the clips of those that don't know.

I can't believe you people think Americans and Canadians or people of any country are dumb. Not every one is going to know about the world events.

This is sort of political, where is policeman Spud when you need him?

Spudman
August 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I agree. I think Americans are not that bright. The video is a good representation of 'average' America. Jay Leno proves the point with his Jaywalking segments too.

Name a country that starts with "U." Come on. How bright do you have to be to get this one?

I don't think this is political at all but more of a social reflection.

just strum
August 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
shame on all of you.

Robert
August 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
It's just for fun, Just Strum - not intended to say anyone in particular is dumb. If I was asked questions like that with a camera in my face, I would probably say some hilarious things too. Nothing political meant here either.

just strum
August 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Robert, I understand the video is for fun and I agree with the camera in your face theory. I am expressing my opinion about the comments here. Just stating my opinion that I am disappointed in the noted opinions. It's a case of the train makes a stop and every one jumps on.

In my opinion it is sad. As for political, when you comment about what country to go to war with or bomb, what countries of the axis of evil, I would say it is a little more political than asking "is anyone watching the convention" and then stating just say yes or no. The politics is not the intent, but the politics is part of the presentation.

I'm done, I won't go on anymore to clarify my stand.

Algonquin
August 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
The second clip is from 'The Mercer Report' Rick's show is very satirical, and he pokes fun at many, (mostly Canadians) in a light hearted fasion. I love the show!

Growing up in Southern Ontario, we would get Buffalo TV Stations like WKBW with Irv Weinstein's 'Eye Witness News, and WIVB (We're for Buffalo) on a simple antenna (No cable or Satelitte). We got Commander Tom, and Rocketship Seven... I guess only US Folks in the Niagara region might remember those.

This gave us an advantage for learning about US culture. We learned about US Parliament and History through Schoolhouse Rock.
mEJL2Uuv-oQ
ofYmhlclqr4

I've spoken with a lot of American friends and acquaintances that through no fault of their own, never had the opportunity to learn about Canadian culture... because it was just not available to them the same way it was for us.

ted s
August 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
yep, Commander Tom, Schoolhouse rock, the electric company..
but we all know a triangle has 4 sides, not one..

Rocket
August 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I've spoken with a lot of American friends and acquaintances that through no fault of their own, never had the opportunity to learn about Canadian culture...
Hmmm... I'm intelligent enough to know an oxymoron when I see one.

sunvalleylaw
August 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Being from western WA, and having visited up in British Columbia, I was exposed to some Canadian culture growing up, but very BC oriented. I always got the impression that much of the country would be quite different. BC was not that far off from the Seattle area really, people wise, as I recall. Driving patterns were a little different, but . . . ;-)

Funny clips. We could always learn more about places other than our own. I was more knowledgeable myself in my college days, but as you enter the work-a-day, parenting, family life, it is easy to become less aware.

TS808
August 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't think Americans are "dumb", I think it's two issues. One being a sense of "apathy" in our society about certain things, where people just don't care to follow politics or national news.

Also, in some major urban areas such as Detroit and our nation's capital, the high school dropout rates are at or above 50%. Much of the curriculum in schools has changed a great deal over the years too and it's become too politically correct. A good example: in one school, a teacher was forced to take down a copy of the Declaration of Independence from the classroom bulletin board because it contains the word "God". If you can't teach certain things because some find them "offensive" then we're really handcuffing our educators.

thearabianmage
August 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
It has to be said, some of those comments are pretty funny :D

But I've already seen the first video plenty of times, as friends of mine over here like to taunt me with it.

I'll say this, being American, having lived there and seen it from the inside, then moved out of America and seen it from the outside:

You get dumb people, ignorant people, buttholes, and bums anywhere in the world you go. America. England. Uzbekistan. Japan.

Just the same as you get geniuses, cool people, and cultured people anywhere you go, America included.

Were those really the only people they asked? Who edited that video? I bet there were at least a couple correct answers, but that would go against the intention of the video, so <chop> there they go.

I'm aware, the real point is that the Average American is ignorant to the world outside America, but this is a stereotype just like 'all red-heads are ill-tempered'. I'm sure there were plenty of Americans here at this forum who watched that video and knew at least some of the answers, but what makes them any less Average American than their neighbor, and what is 'The Average American', anyways? Last time I checked, everybody was different.

It doesn't help that America has a world-wide reputation for ignorance, but if you block out certain facts, you can make anything be whatever you want it to be. Take abstract art, for instance.

But really: 'What religion are Buddhist monks?'

#1 - 'I dunno. . .'
#2 - 'Muslim. . .'
#3 - 'Buddhist monk. . .Buddhist monk. . .Buddhist monk. . .'

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ted s
August 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Nicely put 'bainmage .

t_ross33
August 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
It isn't? :confused:

:canada: :greenguitar: :smile-us:

No, silly. Toronto is the centre (note spelling) of the Universe

ted s
August 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I once met a guy from Kentucky who couldn't understand why I had a/c in my house.. :messedup:

Algonquin
August 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Congratulations Canada on legalizing VCR's! :bravo:

(We can tape Baywatch now!)

marnold
August 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not! But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!

Algonquin
August 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not! But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!
I coursely agree with the that which Marnold is pertaining to imply :confused:

Katastrophe
August 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
No, silly. Toronto is the centre (note spelling) of the Universe

Okay, if you're going to start typing in Canadian, I'll need a conversion chart, please.:poke: :D

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 06:26 AM
You get dumb people, ignorant people, buttholes, and bums anywhere in the world you go. America. England. Uzbekistan. Japan.

Just the same as you get geniuses, cool people, and cultured people anywhere you go, America included.

Yes, of course. But the original question wasn't whether there were buttholes in England (good God yes) or ignorant people in Uzbekistan (ditto) but whether the video was a reasonable representation of the American people's knowledge of the world.

Yes, it was edited for effect. A true representation would show all repsonses not just the funny ones, but it still contains a good amount of truth.

Oooops, gotta go. The Shame Train is leaving the junction for a country that starts with U.

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Yes, it was edited for effect. A true representation would show all repsonses not just the funny ones, but it still contains a good amount of truth.

And would you care to share the rest of your study, so all of us can see the facts in what you are saying?

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Yes, of course. But the original question wasn't whether there were buttholes in England (good God yes) or ignorant people in Uzbekistan (ditto) but whether the video was a reasonable representation of the American people's knowledge of the world.

It doesn't help that America has a world-wide reputation for ignorance, but if you block out certain facts, you can make anything be whatever you want it to be. Take abstract art, for instance.

Again, as you mentioned, they are edited for effect. But I do not see it as a reasonable representation of the Average American's worldly knowledge.

You want to convince me? I think a reasonable representation should consist 5 males, 5 females, from each age group from 10-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, 31-35, 36-40, 41-45, 46-50, 51-55, 56-60 - more people for larger age groups, less people for lesser age groups - the goal is to be representative.

You then have to find out how to mix in ethnic groups in equal numbers - or more appropriately, numbers more proportionate to their percentage of the over-all population.

Then work out the median income of the average household in America and get representatives from each (poor, average, affluent, wealthy) group.

Then, get in people of the representative religions of America (Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.)

Work in a proportionately equal mix of homosexual/heterosexual people.

Get all of them in a room and ask them these same questions, and that will give you a better representation of the views of the Average American.

The 'Average American' is a very ambiguous term that is very hard to define. If one wants to make grandiose claims, like 'How much does the Average American know about the rest of the world' - they best put in a damn better effort than simply asking people in the street.

:beer: Just my thoughts :beer:

This is good discussion, though. . .

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Again, as you mentioned, they are edited for effect. But I do not see it as a reasonable representation of the Average American's worldly knowledge.

You want to convince me? I think a reasonable representation should consist 5 males, 5 females, from each age group from 10-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, 31-35, 36-40, 41-45, 46-50, 51-55, 56-60....

But you would no longer have a clip, you would have a movie. Hmmm.

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
But you would no longer have a clip, you would have a movie. Hmmm.

But is it fair to say it would be far better representative of the Average American than asking random Joe's in the street?

---Edit---
America is a large country, after all. How can the knowledge of a few individuals fairly represent 300+ million??

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
And would you care to share the rest of your study, so all of us can see the facts in what you are saying?
Facts, I don't need no sticking facts.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2007-03-07-teaching-religion-cover_N.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------

Arabian Mage. I agree. I would love to see a serious study on this.

On the other hand, I don't see the need for shame in any comments in this thread so far.

By the way, my brother & sister are both fatheads of sorts, but my Mom & Dad are not. So it is not all about education as we went to the same high school.

There are people all over the world that don't care to learn about others, but that doesn't stop them from making false pronouncements as if they were the truth.

America is a large country, after all. How can the knowledge of a few individuals fairly represent 300+ million??
Hey, now you're having a go at polls! ;)

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM

It's still got to be said - this is representative of a small group of people.

I made a point 5 minutes ago about America having a population of over 300,000,000 people. Not including Mexicans. Is asking 10 people, 20 people, even 1,000 people a 'truly representative' approach to diagnosing an entire society with ignorance?

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
On the other hand, I don't see the need for shame in any comments in this thread so far.

No, I don't think there is any shame here, either. This is all just good friendly discussion :beer:

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------

Arabian Mage. I agree. I would love to see a serious study on this.

By the way, my brother & sister are both fatheads of sorts, but my Mom & Dad are not. So it is not all about education as we went to the same high school.

There are people all over the world that don't care to learn about others, but that doesn't stop them from making false pronouncements as if they were the truth.

I must work with the only smart people in America because no one I work with seems to have difficulty identifying countries and the different parts of the world.

Oh, I should note that in addition to work, I am a member of this forum that contains a number of Rhode Scholars, but then again this is a mix of several countries, so the US might be excluded again.

BTW, what country begins with a "T" or an "A"?

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Here are two good questions to ask those around you given it's importance to our foreign policy right now.

Is Iran an Arabic country?

What language do they speak in Iran?

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Here are two good questions to ask those around you given it's importance to our foreign policy right now.

Is Iran an Arabic country?

What language do they speak in Iran?

Give me a break. If they don't know this, we can assume they are dumb Americans or dumb Canadians or dumb...

No

Persian

I think you are hell bent on proving people as stupid.

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Give me a break. If they don't know this, we can assume they are dumb Americans or dumb Canadians or dumb...

No

Persian

I think you are hell bent on proving people as stupid. You've certainly gotten the whole intent wrong, maybe a few smilies were called for, but I didn't think that you needed them.

They are good & important questions & are not intended to label people dumb in any way.

I've asked these questions of people & have been surprised to find that some think that Iran is an Arabic country.

Strum, I am not hell-bent on anything.

Half-bent or fully-bent or just bent in general that goes without saying, but hell-bent. Nope, that's not really part of my alien genetic makeup. ;)

All abooOOOOAAAaarrd.

It's time to move on.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2302021105_2325030be1.jpg

Spudman
August 30th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Why don't you folks just go conduct your own study? Get a set of what you feel are simple easy to answer questions and start polling people and for the next few weeks keep a tally of how they do and then fill us in.

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Why don't you folks just go conduct your own study? Get a set of what you feel are simple easy to answer questions and start polling people and for the next few weeks keep a tally of how they do and then fill us in. That is a good idea Spud, but I'm too busy as I've got a train to catch...

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I'll just file this under life is too short. By expressing an opinion or taking a different stand I feel as if I am being thought of as trying to stir something up. I forgot opinions around here are only good if they go with the majority or the rulers.

So life is too short.

So, what strings are the best for a guitar?

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Ok Strum, take a breath buddy. I do not think anyone intentionally disregarded your views. I think there has been some respectful discussion and disagreement. Your views are welcome as far as I am concerned. However, not everyone will agree with any one member's views.

The thread was really intended (according to Robert's statement) to be a bit funny.

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Ok Strum, take a breath buddy. I do not think anyone intentionally disregarded your views. I think there has been some respectful discussion and disagreement. Your views are welcome as far as I am concerned. However, not everyone will agree with any one member's views.

The thread was really intended (according to Robert's statement) to be a bit funny.

Steve, like I said earlier, I thought the video was/is funny, but it was the comments that I was responding to. It's really that simple.

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Why don't you folks just go conduct your own study? Get a set of what you feel are simple easy to answer questions and start polling people and for the next few weeks keep a tally of how they do and then fill us in.

Because sweeping generalizations aren't my thing :D

What I feel is simple and easy can be complex to the next person, but they may have an IQ 10 points higher than mine. So what does any of that mean?

There are many different types of intelligences and remembering the names of countries is only indicative of a couple. A thorough IQ test would be needed to prove that America is dumbing down, and giving a fair representation of 300,000,000 people a thorough IQ test is expensive in both time and money and is a lot of work, and for what? Squat.

That's why I'm not going to go around making sweeping generalizations about 300,000,000 people, but rest assured, if I did, I would do it right. :beer:

And Strum, sorry if I contributed to your feeling disregarded. :dude:

A good lively debate is healthy every now and again, isn't it?

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Because sweeping generalizations aren't my thing :D

What I feel is simple and easy can be complex to the next person, but they may have an IQ 10 points higher than mine. So what does any of that mean?

There are many different types of intelligences and remembering the names of countries is only indicative of a couple.

And Strum, sorry if I contributed to your feeling disregarded. :dude:

A good lively debate is healthy every now and again, isn't it? Very good points & I agree with all of them.

After all Germany was considered the most highly educated society just prior to WWII. Many could probably point exactly to Poland on a map.

Strum believes that the state of American ignorance has been greatly exaggerated & that is most likely true.

As usual with these things the truth probably resides in between

"O my God! The sky is falling" &

"What problem? There is no problem."

As far as Rulers of the Fret & opinions go Strum I have no idea.

I am not one of them.

You are certainly entitled to state your opinions as far as I am concerned.

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
You are certainly entitled to state your opinions as far as I am concerned.

Agreed. Opinions are meaningless if they are all the same.