PDA

View Full Version : David Lindley Live - Whew!

tjcurtin1
August 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Lucky for me I checked the listings at the nearby Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River, MA. the other day. David Lindley played solo there last night to about 80 people. We were sitting about 12 feet away from him, and what a show. He took you from laughter to tears to amazement. Great musician, great storyteller, great show - I was so glad I didn't miss it! He played all kinds of intstruments - Weisenborn lap guitars in several tunings (man, what a sound!), oud, another long-necked arabic instrument, and what I think was one of those Django-style oval-holed guitars, and did a huge variety of music. If you get the chance to see him, go - it's a real experience.

Robert
August 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I've seen him with Ry Cooder. Lindley is a great player, and unknown to many. Definitely worth checking out, everyone!

Algonquin
August 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Killer! Gotta love those Mercury Blues :AOK:

TAbbgSKUZB4

Steve206
August 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I had always heard the name, David Lindley. Mostly through the Jackson Brown connection. Then, a long time ago, I came across a record called, "El Rayo X".

That was all it took. Not one "hit tune" on the CD. Not one throwaway song either. The high pitched singing mixed with the blue eyed reggae rhythms, create a special place for David Lindley and his guitars and things.

Some of these guys just reaffirm how much fun and beauty can be available to us if we just look for it.

Steve

tunghaichuan
August 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
David Lindley is one of my all-time favorites. He used to come through Colorado quite a bit, but hasn't come anywhere near me for a while. I've seen him about 6 or 7 times live here. The first time I saw him was a show at the Denver Zoo. He always puts on an awesome show.

I remember checking out "El Rayo X" on vinyl from the public library back in the mid-80s. I heard "Mercury Blues" once and I was a fan forever. Since then I've acquired most of his solo recordings on CD, even a couple of rare imports that were only available from Japan back in the 80s.

Check out his web site:

http://www.davidlindley.com/

The price on his CDs is kind of steep at $20 each, but that includes shipping and he keeps all the profit; none goes to a record company.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I've seen him with Ry Cooder. Lindley is a great player, and unknown to many. Definitely worth checking out, everyone!
Cooder & Lindley? Cool Beans!

tunghaichuan
August 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM
One of my favorites, off of the Very Greasy album:

rpebrtsSSYY

tung

tunghaichuan
August 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM

You should check out his Lindley and Cooder Family album from the order page on Lindley's web site. It is a double CD but kinda pricey at $40. But a must have for a Cooder/Lindley fans.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
You should check out his Lindley and Cooder Family album from the order page on Lindley's web site. It is a double CD but kinda pricey at $40. But a must have for a Cooder/Lindley fans.

tung sliding drooOOOOOoooll :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I just checked out Lindley's discography & found out that he played on the Youngbloods Elephant Mountain. I wasn't aware of that.

Time to drag the ol' vinyl out.

Darkness, darkness...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418SQ6QVCRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I've always wondered if that was an elephant turd there in front of the wall.

Lessee...bread & jam...or...TURD?!?

tjcurtin1
August 30th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Wow - that's a combo I'd love to see!

markb
August 31st, 2008, 12:41 AM

tung

That's more or less the same show I saw in London (recorded in Vienna iirc). At one point someone from the audience asked if they were recording the proceedings and Cooder replied "do you think we should?". There was a collective gasp of astonishment from the audience (me included). One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

tot_Ou_tard
August 31st, 2008, 07:22 AM
A CBC radio interview with Cooder about Lindley.

feaWTdt_yw0