PDA

View Full Version : Holy! Two Rock Amp - Mayer/Bonamassa

Jimi75
August 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I found this by coincidence and don't know if you saw these amphs before. Don't look at the prices of these jewels - I could never afford it - but listen to John Mayer how great he plays in this short clip on the Two Rock - he's really a very bedowed musician. In the "Have you heard" section there's a post with a Bonamassa live video and I discovered a Two Rock top in his set up, too. To me this is the best amp I heard in a long long time.

iSM3FL7zUdw

Here's another great demo of this amp:
gfXUb1g1xLA

Still there's only few videos on the tube if you enter "two rock amp".

:AOK:

street music
August 30th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Sounds good Jimi, I'll never afford one either but I like to hear the good stuff.

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Yes, Two Rocks are well known by those who worship before the Dumble altar (as Meyer does). Great sounding stuff, but way above my tax bracket.

Unfortunately, you also need to get a guy with OCD to continually adjust the knobs so that they are "just so."

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Unfortunately, you also need to get a guy with OCD to continually adjust the knobs so that they are "just so."

What's up with that. I would have smacked his *** into the wall and tell him to keep his f'ing fingers off my amp. I think that might be a case of "I can't play guitar, so I'll just mess with these knobs". Funny thing is, when he made those "have to have" hairline adjustments, the sound never changed.

Oh, but I agree nice amp - or should I say amps (I went to the site). But like so many here, this is as close as I am going to get - they don't even have a dealer in Ohio.

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I have been noticing them a while, mostly since trying to find live Mayer clips online, and seeing the recent DVD. The opening and closing scenes with him on some hill overlooking L.A. with a big body jazz Gibson and a Two Rock amp (and a line 6 delay/looper) is really nice to listen to and watch.

EDIT: That is a nice clip of what John is doing with his hands to study. My instructor is going to help me deconstruct some of his stuff and try to get into it, at least on an "easier" song like Gravity. Thanks for posting the clip!

Jimi75
February 13th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Found this old thread of mine....
Funny to read me writing "I could never afford one of these". Guess what I play now, hahaha.
Totally love my Two Rock - am glad to see that even back in the days I was already amazed by it :-)

tjcurtin1
February 13th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Funny - took me a while to realize how old the thread was! I was thinking, wow, Mayer looks awful young! Interesting thinking about all the past Fretters represented there... the heyday.

stingx
February 13th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Awesome amp and I remember this original post.

By the way, I LUSTED after a Lionheart after hearing THIS particular demo of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_4NVoZp1U

You gotta have what you gotta have!

Spudman
February 13th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Funny to think, John Mayer is now using PRS amphs.

Jimi75
February 14th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Mayer really became a flag in the wind. Somehow the PRS stuff doesn't look right in him ;-)
Thumbing through old threads brings back good memories. This board was so alive and vivid, the contact among us all was kind and personal...I wish one day this place will be like it was back then.

tjcurtin1
February 14th, 2017, 06:40 PM
+1!

Spudman
February 14th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Thumbing through old threads brings back good memories. This board was so alive and vivid, the contact among us all was kind and personal...I wish one day this place will be like it was back then.

I haven't been gigging so my sharing enthusiasm has waned. Been doing other things, but ya, I hear what you're saying.

tjcurtin1
February 15th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Was wondering about that, Spud. Seems that you used to play out a good bit...

Spudman
February 17th, 2017, 08:05 PM
Was wondering about that, Spud. Seems that you used to play out a good bit...

Sure did gig quite a bit.
I live in the most un-hip college town I've ever been to. No music scene. My last band mates moved away, and the pickings are pretty slim here for musicians too. Most players are either still stuck in the 70s or 80s or all about the doom drop tuned guitar. Not much available in the way of 'artists.' (sigh) Someday though. I play a lot at home with a Digitech Trio +, but I really miss musical interaction - and kicking ***.

tjcurtin1
February 17th, 2017, 09:25 PM
A college town with no music scene??!! What's up with that? It must be a divinity school...

Spudman
February 19th, 2017, 01:27 PM
A college town with no music scene??!! What's up with that? It must be a divinity school...

LDS community. Cops cracked down on DUI and killed the night life.

Robert
February 19th, 2017, 04:50 PM
So more drunk drivers will improve the music scene? Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stingx
February 20th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Lol

Spudman
February 20th, 2017, 01:57 PM
So more drunk drivers will improve the music scene? Nice.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's non-sequitur.

People are not going out for fear of being pulled over regardless. The police got over vigilant and that left a bad taste in the mouths of those who do like to go out and support live music. Has nothing to do with being a 'drunk driver.'

Robert
February 20th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Ok I see what you did there. The fear of getting pulled over diminishes the activity of the music scene. Correctamundo? Still seems a bit strange though. If you are sober, why fear the checkstop? Will a checkstop ruin your fun later at the music scene? This sounds like the police is to blame for why the music scene is dying. Sorry for being so difficult... remember - I'm Swedish.