View Full Version : Someone mentioned Jimmy Page

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM
and it made me think on this clip

cKUyHpoWnT4&NR=1

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Haha! :rotflmao: Skiffle is awesome!

Do many people here know what Skiffle is?

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm kinda glad Jim didn't pursue a career in biological research.

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Haha! :rotflmao: Skiffle is awesome!

Do many people here know what Skiffle is?

Ya, I was reading my Beatles history book the other day and was reminded again, of how John and Paul met, when John was playing Skiffle at essentially a church/neighborhood festival/bazaar.

I had seen that Page vid before but forgot. Nice catch Strummy!

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Whoa! Here I was, I just thought it was some kid who was also named Jimmy Page and people were watching it in a sort of 'Huh huh. . . His name is Jimmy Page, too' - sort of way like if there was an R&B band named 'Cradle of Filth' or something. . . And it actually is Jimmy Page!

On a similar note, just last night I was talkin to this dude outside a pub in Cheddar about this and that. He is visiting the area, and said that where he lives, he's right across the street from Robert Plant.

'I see him walking around quite often. A bit of a ponce, really. . .' he said.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Wot's a ponce then? Is that anything akin to a Percy? :)

thearabianmage
August 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Wot's a ponce then? Is that anything akin to a Percy? :)

Percy? :confused:

A ponce is. . . well. . . I'm not sure how to explain it. According to dictionary.com, it's a 'campily effeminate male' i.e. 'Look at that man walking down the road swinging his hips like some sort of ponce!' or in a context similar to the word 'sissy' - 'Oh, you ponce, it's just a spider. . .'

It's context sometimes also refers negatively to a person's wealth, i.e. 'Look at him, with all them gold chains. Ponce.'

So, back to what that dude said, 'Plant is a bit of a ponce'. . . Well, Robert Plant is very clearly effeminate in the way he carries himself on stage (or at least on the 'How the West Was Won' DVD)

And he's rich.

Of course he's a ponce :D

Still a great singer, though

Tone2TheBone
August 31st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah Bob's a great guy. I kinda figured that's what a ponce was but thanks for the detailed explanation. :)