PDA

View Full Version : Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

ShortBuSX
August 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I scored one of these today...I know nothing bout it yet.
I tried to use it, I got lucky for a minute, but I need to consult the instruction book before its useful.

Anybody else using one of these?
Any tips, tricks or advice?
For a newbie or advanced.

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I have one and do use it. I have tended to input songs I want to play with via the audio in and my iPod, then you can tap tempo the song to make the song play slower while you learn. I have also played chord progressions in using my left foot that I tap with to keep the tempo. I am not great at it, but you can get a loop in and jam with your self pretty easily. I went to a one night seminar at a store where folks demonstrated capturing sounds in time, one over another, to build rhythms, percussion, etc. and then play over the top. I have not been able to do that yet. Search for K.T. Tunstall on youtube and you will see some cool things that can be done. I bet you can search for some lessons too. Then it is just a matter of figuring out the inputs and controls. Your manual will help with that. Good score! It is a great tool that I don't utilize enough.

warren0728
August 30th, 2008, 05:50 PM
but I need to consult the instruction book before its useful.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just sayin'

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Here is one with good ideas, but a different pedal.

TGhU1y7VmbE&feature=related

ShortBuSX
August 30th, 2008, 09:38 PM
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just sayin'

Come on now...youre hardly a man if you dont just pull it(whatever it is) right out of the box and start twistin knobs, takin it apart, or just puttin it through the works. Instructions are a last ditch effort...if I dont run into obsticles, the instructions never existed.

But this needs instructions:thwap:
And Ive consulted them already, several times, but Im gettin the hang of it...but Im only scratching the surface, but I am playing songs like Born Under A Bad Sign and Im Tore Down, and Im actually able to make the leads sound decent...but I really got this to work on my timing, a metronome wasnt really workin for me and the blues shuffle.
I need to load up some songs or backing tracks...need to find a cable to do so, but I think I got one round here somewhere.

Ive read the manual a couple of times but cant figure out how to shut this thing off...do I gotta unplug it out of my chain everytime???

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Yep, you gotta unplug it from the chain, or if running it on AC power only, (advisable, it eats batteries), unplug the power cord.

ShortBuSX
August 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Here is one with good ideas, but a different pedal.

Thanks for the ideas...my buddy gave me a Dean Markly pup for my accoustic, so that gives me another option...and I kinda like the idea of banging out a beat on the top of the accoustic.

Ive seen a local guy who does a one man show on one of these and an accoustic...Ive seen him play the Beatles "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" all the way to "Carry That Weight" on this thing...I had to have one, its only just now that Im able to justify the expense(to mahself).

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Heck, I have seen guys earn way more than they paid for the same pedal doing bar/coffee shop gigs around town doing one man shows like that. I could not do that yet, but who knows? A way to support GAS maybe?

Spudman
August 31st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Cool that you got one of the RC20s. I really like mine and it is a great tool to get timing issues straightened out. It also is a great tool for creativity. Sometimes you just never know what is going to come out but it is usually fun and in time.

You mentioned "instructions". What is that? Is that like directions when you're driving? I can't do that. It just isn't manly. So what if I get lost a lot. It's fun.:D

I keep mine on an outlet strip and just use the switch on the strip to turn it and my other pedals on and off.

ShortBuSX
August 31st, 2008, 10:09 AM
You mentioned "instructions". What is that? Is that like directions when you're driving? I can't do that. It just isn't manly. So what if I get lost a lot. It's fun.:D

Thank you...although IM still consulting them:thwap:

I keep mine on an outlet strip and just use the switch on the strip to turn it and my other pedals on and off.

Yeah, Ive got my pedal chain and amp on a power strip, and Ive been in the habit of unplugging it after each use(after a topic round here from last year instilled some paranoia about how effective surge protectors are)...I just thought there was some other way of turning it off...the 'distructions' caution bout how to turn it off properlly, yet it doesnt really actually turn off unless you unplug it....lame!:whatever:

Anyways, I stayed up til bout 3:30 am last night playing with this...Im stoked! Im all bout anything thatll keep me playing for that long...to the point were I have no idea how late or what time it is...PRICELESS!!!:AOK:

I was looking around last night too, and Im a lil disappointed I couldnt find a community or forum on the 'inter-webs' for the Loopstation or for others like it. I just figured there had to be a place where people shared ideas, offered help, or inspiriation. I found the Boss forum....uber lame, "Im gonna buy this pedal" topics abound...no help.

Do either of yall use the optional footswitches?
I tried my Vox channel switching pedal and it seemed like it was/would work...but then one of the preset loops jumped out of nowhere at me(Im over this happening, BTW) and I had to shut it all down before I woke my roommate:thwap:

Seriously, could yall share some discoveries with me?
What kinda songs are yall playing on this...I could also use some ideas.

Anyway of tamming that tempo???? Still seems a lil fast...a knob would have been handy.

Spudman
August 31st, 2008, 01:55 PM
Check out Looper's Delight (http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html).

ShortBuSX
August 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I found that site earlier but didnt have a chance to fully explore it, and my first impression was it was more techno and hip-hop styles...but from your link I found this whole page of links and articles (http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/RC20XL/Boss-RC20XL.html)...so thanks for the link!:AOK:

When I get a chance I plan on recording some of those "play along" CD songs that Ive never really used, I think thatll help me get the ball rollin on this thing and give me a good idea about using longer loops vs shorter...Im kinda anxious to see if this "reverse" button will let me rewind a lil with a longer loop so I dont have to start all over if I choke or wanna learn a specific riff a lil better.

ShortBuSX
September 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM
I just loaded a few "play along" tracks and saved them into the presets...but now that Ive done this(and now that Im bout to sell my Vox AD30) will this pedal have any ill effects on my tube amp??? Suddenly Im kinda worried.:confused:

just strum
September 1st, 2008, 11:22 AM
Not apples and apples, but I have the Digitech Jamman and it has ill effects with my AD30VT (guitar>RP350>Jamman>AD30VT), but has no ill effect on my Valve Jr.

Spudman
September 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
The only 'ill effect' I can think of is if you try playing recorded tracks back through a distorted amp. That's going to sound like doo doo. The best way is to find a clean setting on the Vox and use a distortion pedal for the guitar and let the recorded track play into a nice clean amph.

ShortBuSX
September 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Not apples and apples, but I have the Digitech Jamman and it has ill effects with my AD30VT (guitar>RP350>Jamman>AD30VT), but has no ill effect on my Valve Jr.

I used it this morning on my Vox and she worked fine, but then again Im not running it through an RP either...but my Deville seems to be doing fine with the "play along" CDs in the background.

But Im kinda amazed at the similarities of the two loopers...I almost wonder how well this would work with the Boss?
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/0/9/1/499091.jpg

Does anybody have this one?
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/1/8/2/251182.jpg

marnold
September 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
That's going to sound like doo doo.
You guitarists and your technical terms!

aeolian
September 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've been curious about these things for a while and I have a few basic questions. The first one is: where in the chain does it go: is it guitar->loop station->amp? If it is, I guess that answers my next question: Can I have it record a clean guitar sound playing a chord progression, and then play a distorted sound over it? I take it if the chain is as I described above that would not be possible. Conversely, is there a way to do what I'm hoping to do? Will I need an amp with an effects loop to be able to do that?

I've seen both RC20s and RC2s come up in my local Craigslist every once in a while. Next time I'll pay more attention.

ShortBuSX
September 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
You can put it anywhere in the chain you like...although in the effects loop would be a great idea if youve got one.

Spudman
September 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
You guitarists and your technical terms!

It's got to be kept simple cause, well, they are guitarists ya know.;)

I've been curious about these things for a while and I have a few basic questions. The first one is: where in the chain does it go: is it guitar->loop station->amp?

I've found if it is the last thing before going into the amp then I have all the versatility of the pedals that come before it to alter what I play for the next loop or layer. ie: record a clean phrase then while that is playing add some distortion and Rotovibe to play a lead over the recorded phrase.

I haven't tried it in the effects loop yet.

ShortBuSX
September 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Oh, and BTW...if you buy one of these, you will be losing sleep!
I was up again last night until 2am...works @ 8am. :thwap:

ShortBuSX
September 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Im having a lil toruble figuring out this "tempo" "time signature" and "quantizied" stuff.
I pretty much got the tempo thing...you tap that...but how is this any different than the signature???

And BTW, Ive been studying the manual, but some of this stuff is still unclear.

tjcurtin1
September 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
My brother has one and has also had trouble getting a loop end caught exactly 'on time', and can't seem to get the 'auto-end' feature to work. Anyone figured this all out?

ShortBuSX
September 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
My brother has one and has also had trouble getting a loop end caught exactly 'on time', and can't seem to get the 'auto-end' feature to work.

Somehow, luckily mine are ending on time, seamlessly.

I think youre talking about the "one shot"...I think you have to use the #11 bank for that...or maybe you mean the fade out feature? I havent had to use either of those yet.

Anyone figured this all out?

After doing some readin, seems like this is THE toy to have around here...but not really alot of conversation or sharing of ideas about it.
And it seems like most of yall are coming up on 2 years of ownership...

"...Im just sayin" :poke:

Spudman
September 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
After doing some readin, seems like this is THE toy to have around here...but not really alot of conversation or sharing of ideas about it.
And it seems like most of yall are coming up on 2 years of ownership...

"...Im just sayin" :poke:

I can never figure out what to say. I plug it in, turn it on and play away. I don't feel like there is any mystery except the creative kind. Sure you have to tap the off pedal in time to end phrases correctly but that doesn't seem to be too hard.

Probably the most difficult thing for me is getting the layers at the right volume. My tendency is to play too hard and then after 4 layers it's all just a noisy wash. Then I start over. IF I can master the layer volume thing I might get brave enough to go gig solo with it.

ShortBuSX
September 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
I reckon I wish somebody would say something like, "lay down a I IV V pattern, play this mode over this chord and this over another."

Just seems there are some killer lessons that could be done...but more importantly, LEARNED with a tool like this...I reckon Im just lookin for direction.

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
..I reckon Im just lookin for direction.

Just play Grasshopper. It will all come.

ShortBuSX
September 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Just play Grasshopper. It will all come.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...Ive been steady working on my rhythms by playing over backing tracks and I already see a major improvement.

I just figure after 2 years of use, maybe one of yall had a moment where it all came together, a light came on and ever since...

But dont worry future newbs...when that moment arrives for me, I'll post my secrets:AOK:

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...I just figure after 2 years of use, maybe one of yall had a moment where it all came together, a light came on and ever since...

I wish.:D

The looper is always an ongoing experiment for me. I'm more comfortable with it's functioning but I haven't gotten to 'ah ha' yet.

ShortBuSX
September 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
...but I haven't gotten to 'ah ha' yet.

Well Im 'ah ha" bound and I aint stoppin til I get there :rockon:

BTW, thanks Spud, youve been pretty helpful with this.:AOK:
(even if you havent given me any actual answers):pancake:

ShortBuSX
September 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I had some fun with this last night, theres tons of songs I know that almost have seemed pointless to learn without anybody backing it up...Radar Love is a perfect example, so I looped me playing the bass line on my guitar and then went on with the guitar parts over the top...there are a few short pauses throughout, that right pedal works nicely to cut it out for a few beats and then hit the left again and its back on...I thought it was pretty sweet....and it gave me a couple more ideas.

tjcurtin1
September 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Somehow, luckily mine are ending on time, seamlessly.

I think youre talking about the "one shot"...I think you have to use the #11 bank for that...or maybe you mean the fade out feature? I havent had to use either of those yet.

It's the 'auto quantize' that's supposed to make it easier to end your loop - it doesn't seem to work/do anything.

ShortBuSX
September 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Does he have the 20 or the 20XL?

I reckon thats all in the tempo setting, and that tempo setting I find confusing, but my loops are coming out seemless(so far)...so I dunno what to say...I hope others will chime in on quantizing, tempo and signature.

FWIW Ive been keeping the owners manual with me and studying it when I can.:whatever:

Also, Im so excited about this damn thing...Ive only had it 4 days and have already learned more than I had in the last 3 months. Ive got 3 songs, one solo and my time just about down on all of them...and Ive got somebody(actually something) to jam with! Flippin sweet...money well spent!:AOK:

Spudman
September 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Also, Im so excited about this damn thing...Ive only had it 4 days and have already learned more than I had in the last 3 months. Ive got 3 songs, one solo and my time just about down on all of them...and Ive got somebody(actually something) to jam with! Flippin sweet...money well spent!:AOK:

Amen. Improvement comes at a much faster rate than without one and your jamming buddy doesn't ever get tired of playing the same old thing. Priceless!