PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night and Tom Waits

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I always liked Tom's music and found him entertaining. One of my favorite songs begins with this first clip.

sILtO6LAEq8

PV7bxC0UVMM&feature=related

C49H3aWdiK8&feature=related

evenkeel
August 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Good stuff Mr. Strum.

Love Waits, but truth be told I mostly know his stuff from covers. e.g.
Jersey Girl - Springsteen
Downtown Train - Rod Stewart
Heart of Saturday Night - Shawn Colvin

The Colvin cover is a particular fave.

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Good stuff Mr. Strum.

Love Waits, but truth be told I mostly know his stuff from covers. e.g.
Jersey Girl - Springsteen
Downtown Train - Rod Stewart
Heart of Saturday Night - Shawn Colvin

The Colvin cover is a particular fave.

Well it's safe to say his writing talents are better than his singing talents. His songs have been covered by a number of artist. However he seems to write most of his songs to fit his singing ability and it gives it character.

Funny guy too, I can't figure out just who is the real Tom Waits.

lX1qpcDchD4

Steve206
August 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I remember seeing him on an earlier Letterman show where he was asked what it was like to live in New York City.

He said that it was like floating on a cruise ship and the water being on fire.

Steve

PS: I really tried and could not see the ideas behind Swordfish Trombones or Frank's Wild Years.

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
:AOK: Big Waits fan here! :AOK:

You should all see the Jim Jarmusch film "Down By Law" which stars Tom Waits.

Obligatory train comment:

The Jarmusch film "Mystery Train" is also excellent.

Algonquin
August 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Waits is someone who I haven't thought of in a long time.
Thanks for posting!
Cheers :beer:

R_of_G
August 31st, 2008, 06:20 AM
Well it's safe to say his writing talents are better than his singing talents.

I don't personally find that to be true at all. I am as big a Tom Waits fan as you are likely to find (where do you guys think I came across Marc Ribot in the first place?). I think when you listen to the entire span of Tom's career it becomes clear how incredibly versatile that voice can be. Aside from the obvious preference I have for hearing a writer perform his/her own songs, Tom's voice is more than just the gravelly groan most people write him off as having. If you aren't convinced, put on the album "The Mule Variations" and listen to it from top to bottom. By the end, you will hear many many things that voice can do besides groan.

I should add that I do find his writing talents to be phenomenal. Quite frankly, I find him to be the best songwriter there is. His lyrics are richer and fuller than just about anybody else, and the music which accompanies his songs create the complete pictures of the universes in which Waits' songs exist.

I should also add that I think Rod Stewart's covers of his songs (he's done at least two) have been horrendous. Now there is a voice that is unpleasant and has no range whatsoever. Springsteen's "Jersey Girl" is not bad, but it's not quite Tom's. Can't comment on Colvin's version of "Heart of Saturday Night" as I've never heard it.

just strum
August 31st, 2008, 07:09 AM
R_of_G, I guess I should actually say that his voice doesn't have mass appeal. I've liked him since the first time I heard him which is probably back in the mid 70's. Back in the day when Cleveland was a leader in alternative radio play, Tom's music received a lot of airplay. I can not argue with a thing you noted in your post.

Another voice that I always enjoyed:

93xOeEr-USU

R_of_G
August 31st, 2008, 07:27 AM
R_of_G, I guess I should actually say that his voice doesn't have mass appeal. I've liked him since the first time I heard him which is probably back in the mid 70's.

Very true Strum, but the masses are morons and wouldn't understand a voice like Tom's anyway. :)

His voice is definitely an acquired taste, but once it's acquired, one starts to forget what it was they may not have liked about it in the first place. I have created many a Tom Waits fan out of friends. It's a matter of guiding them down the right path. There's so much out there of his that it can be daunting for someone to just jump right in. That's where I come in, as their tour guide.

just strum
August 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM
To those not familiar with Tom Waits, just google him.

Here is Wikipedia that provides some information about his recordings, acting, and music writing for movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Waits

If you want to hear some of his music here is a MySpace

http://www.myspace.com/tomwaits

tot_Ou_tard
August 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Very true Strum, but the masses are morons and wouldn't understand a voice like Tom's anyway. :)

& we return to the train station ;).

just strum
August 31st, 2008, 07:53 AM

:rotflmao: I was thinking that when I read it. I just figured the train didn't run on Sunday.

evenkeel
August 31st, 2008, 08:01 AM

Any seats available???

tot_Ou_tard
August 31st, 2008, 08:10 AM
:rotflmao: I was thinking that when I read it. I just figured the train didn't run on Sunday.

Any seats available???

The train stops daily everywhere & has plenty of seats as it is 16 co-oaches long.

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 08:11 AM
I really like Tom Waits and his work, both writing and singing. I need to find some more clips, or a DVD.

tot_Ou_tard
August 31st, 2008, 08:16 AM
Tom Waits Glitter & Doom Press Conference

EOrG1r3S6ZA

As it is Sunday...a little Chocolate Jesus:

1wfamPW3Eaw

R_of_G
August 31st, 2008, 08:33 AM
I really like Tom Waits and his work, both writing and singing. I need to find some more clips, or a DVD.

Unfortunately, there are no DVD's (other than bootlegs). I have wished for years and years that he would put his concert film "Big Time" out on dvd, but alas vhs is still the only option. I cling to my vhs copy like a dear old friend.

However, if you are looking for an excellent audio example of the live TW experience, there is this show, the last show of the American portion of the 2008 Glitter & Doom Tour from the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA. It was originally simulcast on NPR so many quality versions are out there on the internets. Here is a link to one of them (scroll down for the downloads, but read the article as well).

http://stupidd.blogspot.com/2008/08/glitter-and-doom-tom-waits-in-concert.html

Also, Tot posted the press conference, there is also an "interview" Tom did with himself to promote this tour. Quite frankly, he's a better interviewer than most people who I have read interview him....

http://www.antilabelblog.com/?p=288

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys! :pancake:

just strum
August 31st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Here is a link to one of them (scroll down for the downloads, but read the article as well).

http://stupidd.blogspot.com/2008/08/glitter-and-doom-tom-waits-in-concert.html

I've been listening to this on and off since you posted it - great post.

R_of_G
September 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
I've been listening to this on and off since you posted it - great post.

Glad you're enjoying it Strum. I've been addicted to it for a bit now. I have some other shows from this tour, but none of this sound quality (as this one originated as an NPR simulcast). This is a prime example of Tom's power live, and the band he assembled for this tour is amazing (I started another thread on Omar Torrez, the guitar player).

evenkeel
September 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the post RG. Very, very good stuff.

FWIW I was not implying the covers of waits tunes were better. But like a lot of the masses I "discovered" Waits thru the covers. Same deal with Woody Guthrie, discovered him thru Dylan. Or Robert Johnson via Clapton. Jesse Fuller thru Tom Rush. Big Mama Thornton via Elvis. Chris Smithers via Bonnie Raitt.

The Colvin cover is striking to me as her voice is so different from the Waits growl. Totally changes the character of the song, just like Bonnies cover of Smithers "Love you/me like a man".

R_of_G
September 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM
FWIW I was not implying the covers of waits tunes were better. But like a lot of the masses I "discovered" Waits thru the covers.

That's cool evenkeel. I didn't read it that way. I just wanted to take the opportunity to make fun of Rod Stewart. :D I will have to find a copy of Colvin's cover and give it a listen.

sumitomo
September 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Tom Waits well he sounds like Popeye to me.I like it dont get me wrong now were is that wench Olive at Ugu Ugu Ugu Ugu Ugu Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
September 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Tom Waits well he sounds like Popeye to me.I like it dont get me wrong now were is that wench Olive at Ugu Ugu Ugu Ugu Ugu Sumi:D

You've nailed it Sumi!

9UjM9UI40jk