PDA

View Full Version : Before there was Quiet Riot . . . there was Slade

marnold
August 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
When I was in high school, my first exposure to Slade came with what I believe was their last big hit, "Run Runaway"
bHoPYLQvnQM

I knew that two of Quiet Riot's biggest hits were Slade covers, but I hadn't heard the originals until today. Thanks to the miracle of the YouTubes, I bring you:

"Cum on Feel the Noize" (this video also makes me ask the musical question, "Where can I get a hat like that.")
VLsw668PVyY

and "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
0gPulu85q04

Slade always seemed to be one of those bands that all the 80s bands credited with being an influence. Seeing them in their 70s glory makes the influence pretty clear.

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
"Cum on Feel the Noize" (this video also makes me ask the musical question, "Where can I get a hat like that.")

Locate the store that sells the vest and pants, and you will probably have located the hat.

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Locate the store that sells the vest and pants, and you will probably have located the hat.
& perhaps Slade.

just strum
August 30th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Funny, I never was a QR or Slade fan, but that got my feet a tappin. They weren't part of my generation and I really don't remember hearing much of them, although I was aware of them.

tot_Ou_tard
August 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
The Noize video doesn't work. Crazee is a rockin' good tune & it's great fun to watch Senor Chickenlegs with the platform shoes & satin jacket.

marnold
August 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Here's the direct link to the Noize video. I thought I tested it. For some heretofore unknown reason, embedding was disabled on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsw668PVyY

This version just seems . . . wrong. Yes, that is Oasis.
BnxtFtaL46w

marnold
August 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Here's an interesting "look back" on Slade.
wlcigkyK--o

tunghaichuan
August 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for posting those videos, they really bring back memories. I was a Slade fan back in the 80s. In fact, I think I still have a copy of "Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply" on CD. I always like "Run, Run Away."

Having been a headbanger back in the 80s, I was a Quiet Riot fan as well.

tung

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I forgot all about Slade. Thanks for reminding me!

markb
August 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM
I love Slade any time of year but Christmas :)

Spudman
August 31st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for posting those videos, they really bring back memories. I was a Slade fan back in the 80s. In fact, I think I still have a copy of "Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply" on CD. I always like "Run, Run Away."

Having been a headbanger back in the 80s, I was a Quiet Riot fan as well.

tung

Me too. Power Supply is one of my all time favorites but mine is on vinyl (big black plastic disc that won't fit into a CD player).

Noddy Holder is an icon in Britain and has written tons of great songs. I think they've put out over 20 albums. Wiki doesn't have them all listed.

ZMAN
September 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I saw them live back in about 1970. The venue was Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens. They were backing up Johny Winter if you can believe that. A packed house and LOUD. I wore ear plugs and was deaf for days after. Of course we were 6 rows from the front.
Ten years later you could buy a beer at a local bar and see Johny Winter.
Never thought much of Slade. All the jumping off amps and wierd costumes, even back then the looked pretty lame.

tunghaichuan
September 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Me too. Power Supply is one of my all time favorites but mine is on vinyl (big black plastic disc that won't fit into a CD player).

I did have the entire Black Sabbath catalog on vinyl. I still have most of them although I got rid of most of the Vinyl I had when CDs first were sold. Both my turntables are broken, so I don't even have anything to play the remaining 50 or so albums on.

tung

Slowhand
September 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM
There still out there sans Noddy Holder with a guy that sounds just like him.A bit sad that but I saw them a couple of times with noddy and on a good night boy could they rock:rockon:

stingx
September 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
There still out there sans Noddy Holder with a guy that sounds just like him.A bit sad that but I saw them a couple of times with noddy and on a good night boy could they rock:rockon:

Noddy doesn't need to rock out anymore. He collects nicely on the royalties for penning the tunes as does Jim Lea.

Tibernius
September 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
This version just seems . . . wrong. Yes, that is Oasis.

Then that's why it's wrong. Everything Oasis play is.

I think we should give the guy who pushed their guitarist off the stage in Canada a medal for services to music! :D

hagarfreak33
October 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I love Slade any time of year but Christmas :)
:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIJ9Yb-xwQ

hagarfreak33
October 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Run, run away is still on my imitation Ipod (Family dollar store brand)

Andy
October 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
I always liked slade, some of their unheard later 70's stuff really rocks.
I liked all the harder glam stuff like slade ,sweet,Trex,alice cooper...