PDA

View Full Version : Cool Cat Fuzz and Maxon SD-9

Robert
August 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Made a quickie on a lunch break earlier this week. I really like the Cool Cat Fuzz with a distortion pedal. I have not found a better distortion pedal than the Maxon SD-9 :AOK: .

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I wish I could spring for one of those SD-9s. Really different distortion pedal. I have to agree with you they're really cool. Someone told me that you can get a kit for one of those. Maybe I'll build one myself.

Robert
August 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
You should get one on eBay. This pedal is not leaving my pedal board. I can get a lot of different sounds from it too, by playing with the tone knob and gain.

It also works very well for rolling down the volume knob on the guitar - this way it gets very bluesy sounding. Still not quite like a tube screamer though - it sounds more "distortional" (hey I just invented a new word! :D)!

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I know I played one at a local shop one day when I was trying out fuzz pedals of all things. I spent more time messing around with the tones from that pedal than the fuzz pedals I was checking out. The pedal almost gets into fuzz territory that's why the shop dude suggested I try it too. That tone knob is the secret like you've said. It truly is a unique effect. I've been looking on Ebay for one and I'll I've seen lately are BIN items. All at full price.

marnold
August 31st, 2008, 09:45 AM
Only Robert would use the phrase "a quickie on a lunch break" to refer to a guitar video :)

Cool demo nonetheless.

Robert
August 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
Only Robert would use the phrase "a quickie on a lunch break" to refer to a guitar video :)

It's all about interpretation and imagination, my friend! ;)

ShortBuSX
August 31st, 2008, 11:18 AM
I've been looking on Ebay for one and I'll I've seen lately are BIN items. All at full price.

I dunno if you are aware of it or not...you can bid on BIN items...I think you may be surprised at the price you can actually get it for. Although I have seen alot of BINs that you cant bid on. *shrug* But I have gotten some great deals that way.

Mr Grumpy
August 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Back in the '80's when I had just started work and could finally treat myself to stuff I bought the original Ibanez SD9. I loved it but, stupidly, it got sold when I was giving up playing when I got married first time around. I now realise that was very, very stupid............... I'd love another but simply cannot justify the cost. I also had a Locobox spaceship flanger which I thought was the funkiest thing ever..

http://www.locobox.com/spaceship_flanger.jpg

These, along with the Red Fender US Bullet 1 I had (I'd love another one of these but prices are going up into US tele territory...) are my biggest ever regrets selling.

But back on topic - the SD9 was/is a superb and distinctive pedal.

Spudman
August 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM

You've got to have the coolest church around.:dude:

What is so different about the SD9 from say the DS1 or ZYS?

Robert
August 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Spud, it's hard to put in words. It's smooth, fat and versatile It's just a different sound than a tubescreamer - none of that hollow, mid-focused gain. It is probably closer to a DS-1, but I don't have one to compare to. Hopefully you can hear from my clips how it sounds different than those pedals you mention. Check this demo for a comparison too, using The Baja Tech Das Fuzz, Maxon SD-9, and the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-42.php

Did you like the tones, Spud?

Tone2TheBone
September 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM
The tone knob is more like a filter. It doesn't function like a typical tone knob. It changes the sound yeah but very dramatically. Here's the description from their website....

"Anther notable feature of the SD-9 is its tone control. While most other overdrives and distortions feature hi boost/hi cut tone circuits, the SD-9 tone control uses a low range boost/cut circuit for added bottom end. In addition, the SD-9's tone circuit features the JRC4558 IC chip, generally regarded as sonically superior to other op amp models. The combination of these two elements creates a pedal with more low-end punch than other distortions."

duhvoodooman
September 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Only Robert would use the phrase "a quickie on a lunch break" to refer to a guitar video...
Warren will be pissed, but I'll say it anyway:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are! (Even clergy!) ;) :rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
September 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM
From what I've heard of the Maxon SD-9 (and I've never played one) it sounds to me like it fills that space between mild-distortion overdrive pedals like the Tube Screamer and its innumerable derivatives & imitators (of which my ZYS is one, admittedly & proudly!) and outright distortion boxes like the Boss DS-1 or ProCo Rat. It definitely has a unique quality which apparently is largely due to it's rather unusual tone control circuit, as Tone referenced. Unfortunately, like several of these well-regarded vintage effects--the $170 Ibanez TS-808 being the prime example in my mind--it's way overpriced for what you get, IMO. I've reviewed the pedal's schematics in some detail, and it's quite a simple circuit, not a lot of components, and certainly nothing exotic or expensive in there. I can almost certainly guarantee that it costs no more to manufacture than, for example, a DigiTech Bad Monkey, and they go for $40 - $50! There's simply no justification for charging $150 for a mass-produced pedal of this simplicity, save the obvious economic one--people will pay it, because the effect sounds good and has a great reputation. And if you can find a used one in good condition for under $100, it's probably well worth it.

I'm not aware of anybody offering a full kit of an SD-9 clone, but you can buy a PCB for the effect from General Guitar Gadgets, and they give you the full bill of materials, schematic and an assembly drawing on their site. So if you can always make your own at a fraction of the price the "real thing" commands, assuming you have the necessary assembly/soldering skills and don't mind sourcing all the parts & components. Or you can find somebody who has that skill set.... ;) :D

Robert
September 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
No justification? You surprise me, VDM! It's all about perceived value, isn't it? And in this case, how good it sounds. The complexity (or lack of) of the pedal has little do to with it. I imagine expensive parts makes some pedals expensive, as well as the amount of time it takes to put them together. In end though, if customers think something is of great value to them, they'll buy it. Isn't that how our economy works? Like my Mac - it costs more than a PC but I perceive it to be of much better value (for me) - so I pay more - with a smile :).

Creators of high-priced items which takes little effort and money to create make good income!

I don't mean to read into this too much - just thought I'd raise these ideas for general food for thought. Maybe I should have started a new thread...:)

Back to the SD-9 - do you guys think it sounds great on the videos I've made with it?

duhvoodooman
September 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
No justification? You surprise me, VDM! It's all about perceived value, isn't it? And in this case, how good it sounds. The complexity (or lack of) of the pedal has little do to with it. I imagine expensive parts makes some pedals expensive, as well as the amount of time it takes to put them together. In end though, if customers think something is of great value to them, they'll buy it. Isn't that how our economy works? Like my Mac - it costs more than a PC but I perceive it to be of much better value (for me) - so I pay more - with a smile :).

Creators of high-priced items which takes little effort and money to create make good income!

I don't mean to read into this too much - just thought I'd raise these ideas for general food for thought. Maybe I should have started a new thread...:)

Back to the SD-9 - do you guys think it sounds great on the videos I've made with it?
Read again what I said, Robert, because I didn't say there was no justification. My exact words, bolded for emphasis:

"There's simply no justification for charging $150 for a mass-produced pedal of this simplicity, save the obvious economic one--people will pay it, because the effect sounds good and has a great reputation."

Things are worth what people will pay for them--that's a lynchpin of capitalism!! My point is that the SD-9 doesn't cost any more to build than many other pedals selling for a third of the price. But people pay it because the pedal sounds great and the word has gotten around over the years. Don't misunderstand me--I'm not knocking the pedal at all. I think that, objectively speaking, Maxon charges more for it than they need to. But if people are willing to pay that price, more power to Maxon for offering such a desirable product. They'd be crazy not to charge that much!

Me, I'm not wiling to pay that much, but then again, I can make my own. But I know that's not an option for many players....

And your SD-9 sounds very fine indeed! :AOK: :rockon:

Robert
September 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
They can be had for around 100 bucks on eBay - that is really not bad at all. It is definitely a step up or two from Bad Monkeys and similar pedals.

duhvoodooman
September 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Agreed! :AOK:

ShortBuSX
September 5th, 2008, 04:07 PM
"Anther notable feature of the SD-9 is its tone control. While most other overdrives and distortions feature hi boost/hi cut tone circuits, the SD-9 tone control uses a low range boost/cut circuit for added bottom end. In addition, the SD-9's tone circuit features the JRC4558 IC chip, generally regarded as sonically superior to other op amp models. The combination of these two elements creates a pedal with more low-end punch than other distortions."

Doesnt the ZYS come with that same OP AMP(among others)???
Or is the circuit really that different?

duhvoodooman
September 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Doesnt the ZYS come with that same OP AMP(among others)???
Or is the circuit really that different?
Yes, the ZYS does indeed come with a JRC4558D opamp, among others. That's the opamp that came in the original TS-808 and it has gained a rather mythical reputation for that reason. Personally I don't think there is anything particularly special about this particular opamp--it sounds good, but so do several others in that circuit. There are a couple I prefer to it in my own ZYS, notably the TI TLC2272ACP, which has a bit better transparency and note clarity, to my ear.

The SD-9 has many similarities to the TS-808 circuit which my ZYS uses, but some very significant differences. There's the tone stage, which has already been mentioned. But the biggest difference, to my mind, is the clipping section. This has the biggest impact on the distortion character of the pedal, much more than the opamp, which primarily provides gain. While it does induce some distortion, too, it's what is used to clip the signal and where it's located that primarily determines the character and degree of signal distortion.

In the Tube Screamer and it's derivatives, the clipping section is in the signal feedback loop to the opamp. This produces a less severe distortion commonly called "overdrive" because it closely approximates the character of distortion arising from saturated or "overdriven" vacuum tubes.

The SD-9 uses the same kind of silicon diodes to clip the signal as the TS-808, but locates them differently. Instead of being in the feedback loop, they're run off the opamp output and clip directly to ground, producing a more pronounced and grittier sounding distortion. That's why the SD-9 is capable of significantly higher levels of distortion than the Tube Screamers.

OK, geek detour over....

Tone2TheBone
September 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I was thinking about all of the technical aspects of this pedal today wondering what it all meant. I've played the pedal many times but it's always remained a mystery to me. Bob you've given us the grand tour into how it actually functions. Thanks!

marnold
September 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Makes sense to me. As good as it sounds though, I agree with your original statement though that Maxon (and, indirectly, Ibanez) must be making a king's ransom in profit on these things. I can see true boutique effects being more expensive because they are usually hand-made and have no economies of scale. The Maxon/Ibanez ones aren't and do. Certainly they aren't the only ones that do that though.

Tone2TheBone
September 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think it would be dang cool to be able to have someone actually MAKE one of these Maxon SD-9s at less than the full price for one. One that incorporates switchable op amps, like the Zonkin Yellow Screamer can do, and a REAL 3PDT true bypass switch. Yeah that's what I think. :D

duhvoodooman
September 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
That would be pretty cool....

marnold
September 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I think it would be dang cool to be able to have someone actually MAKE one of these Maxon SD-9s at less than the full price for one. One that incorporates switchable op amps, like the Zonkin Yellow Screamer can do, and a REAL 3PDT true bypass switch. Yeah that's what I think. :D
If only we knew someone who would have the technical ability to do something like this . . .

Tone2TheBone
September 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
If only we knew someone who would have the technical ability to do something like this . . .

That very thought crossed my mind within the pass couple of days.

Tone2TheBone
September 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Did you like the tones, Spud?

Roberto, Tone here not Spud sorry...

But I've been looking at your SD-9 videos and what I would like to see is you doing one of just the SD-9 by itself with no other pedals in line with it. No Das Fuzz no Zonkin' no Bad Monkey nothing else. I know you like to mix and match with your pedals and the sound we're hearing might sometimes be deceiving?? :) I think there's one with just the SD-9 but the one I remember seeing was good and it sounded good but you played it a lot with the volume rolled back most of the time. Good for an overdrive sound demo but put that sucker in full blast mode man! Let's hear what that baby can do! With your playing and the SD-9 in double barrels gained cranked and guitar cranked THAT would be a classic SD-9 demo dude!

I'm listening to the Das Fuzz, SD-9 and Zonkin' comparison video and man I'm really digging the sound of the SD-9 in the middle section of the video. Were the other pedals hooked up with it at that time do you remember?

Robert
September 7th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks Tone, yes they were all hooked up together. I doubt it would sound any different if I took the other pedals out of the signal, but hey I can do it and we can find out.

Tone2TheBone
September 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Just another excuse to hear more of your SD-9 buddy. Thanks!

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Reposted yet again on Craigslist:

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/832452323.html

This is killing me! :D

tung

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Reposted yet again on Craigslist:

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/832452323.html

This is killing me! :D

tung

Umm.....so why don't you buy it? :)

Based on your highly technological posts I'd guess that you think this pedal is "worth it" huh? :beer:

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Umm.....so why don't you buy it? :)

Based on your highly technological posts I'd guess that you think this pedal is "worth it" huh? :beer:

I just emailed the seller, we'll see ;)

$100 seems to be a good price. If I don't like it, I can always move it later. :AOK:

Of course, this is the third or fourth time I've seen it listed on Craigslist in the last week. :confused:

tung

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I just emailed the seller, we'll see ;)

$100 seems to be a good price. If I don't like it, I can always move it later. :AOK:

Of course, this is the third or fourth time I've seen it listed on Craigslist in the last week. :confused:

tung

I've had really good luck with Craigslist. I recently sold the Free Fuzz from an ad I placed and I got an immediate response as soon as I posted it. Good luck on the SD-9 I hope you get it. Let us know.