PDA

View Full Version : Quirky Comedy

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have posted a lot of Monty Python, but I also love comedy that is just a bit off and a little bizarre.

Raising Arizona struck me that way as a young adult feeling the pressure to enter married life with its demands. Here is a favorite scene. Please feel free to add scenes from your favorite quirky comedies.

jOrDN21yoGk&feature=related

tunghaichuan
August 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Awesome, definitely one of my top ten favorite comedies.

Here's my favorite scene from my favorite comedy of all time.

9AFf0ysgNiM

The wife and I watch this one every Halloween.

Another fave:

1o0OEtn6rfc&feature=related

Sorry if this offends anyone but another fave:

zPGb4STRfKw

tung

I have posted a lot of Monty Python, but I also love comedy that is just a bit off and a little bizarre.

Raising Arizona struck me that way as a young adult feeling the pressure to enter married life with its demands. Here is a favorite scene. Please feel free to add scenes from your favorite quirky comedies.

jOrDN21yoGk&feature=related

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
No. 1 is classic! No. 2, I don't know but will have to check out, and No. 3, I love me some Monty Python!

ShortBuSX
August 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
"Awweeee yeeeaahhh...you know its that time...awe yeeeeah..."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3XhS80rwjIg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3XhS80rwjIg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tunghaichuan
August 31st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Office Space is funny to me in kind of a surreal sort of way. I worked in a place much like the corporation in the movie. The boss stereotype is dead on.

Monty Python flat out rules. :dude:

Oh yeah, yet another:

LKCZ8-ZAT88

Otto: "Apes don't read philosophy"

Wanda: "Yes they do Otto. They just don't understand it."

tung

No. 1 is classic! No. 2, I don't know but will have to check out, and No. 3, I love me some Monty Python!

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM
"Awweeee yeeeaahhh...you know its that time...awe yeeeeah..."

Whaa!???? LOL!!!! :D

And Tung, I almost forgot about Wanda. Good call!

marnold
August 31st, 2008, 09:32 PM
How many movies do you know that have hysterical opening credits?
QZJC5ORod7I

I tried to find a clip of "The Adventures of Martin Luther", a deleted scene from "The Meaning of Life," but sadly I could not find one on the YouTubes.

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 09:52 PM
LOL, Marnold, you know that I am a fan, and that would be probably my desert island comedy pick. I would love to find that missing clip too. Being taught by pretty open minded Jesuits about western European history, and comparative religions, that Martin Luther scene sounds hilarious.

just strum
August 31st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Office Space is funny to me in kind of a surreal sort of way. I worked in a place much like the corporation in the movie. The boss stereotype is dead on.

I still work at a place like that and I would love to pull that off. A couple of people here know what I am going through at work and they can understand the humor I find in that clip.

Algonquin
September 1st, 2008, 06:00 AM
Quirky you say...
0YwnAdT9I_o
It doesn't get much quirkier than this.

tot_Ou_tard
September 2nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
No. 1 is classic! No. 2, I don't know but will have to check out, and No. 3, I love me some Monty Python! Sun No. 2 is a classic too.

You've got to watch Office Space.

All the films posted so far are great (with the notable exception of Chicken Lady from The Kids in the Hall. I've always found her profoundly disturbing.)

I wanted to post the scene from Spinal Tap where Nigel is upset because the bread is too small, but I couldn't find it on youtube.

R_of_G
September 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Good call SV on "Raising Arizona". Easily one of my favorite comedies of all time. I think the Coen brothers are absolute comedic geniuses, and that movie went a long way towards shaping that opinion.

On a note tangential to Python (and I love Python thoroughly) one of my all time favorite films is Terry Gilliam's "Brazil". It could just be me, but I find this movie to be the height of hilarity.

marnold
September 2nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Here's one for our Scandinavian Fretters:
UAMq905xXWU

There are two others that always make me laugh, but I'm sure that they are likely to offend everybody in the world. If you really want to see them, go to YouTube and search for "Buddy Cole I'm Canadian" and "Kids in the Hall Running Free."

R_of_G
September 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Excellent choices Marnold!

The KITH were hilarious, particularly Scott Thompson. All of the Buddy Cole monologues were priceless, and "Running Free" is pure genius.

Possibly my favorite KITH bit was the two French-Canadian "furriers" who travelled from office to office in their canoe hunting for business suits instead of animal pelts. To this day, I cannot hear "Alouette" without thinking of them.

ShortBuSX
September 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
<embed FlashVars='videoId=78896' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

I needed the laugh today *shrug*

The embed doesnt seem to work, heres the LINK (http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=78896&title=movie-theater)

aeolian
September 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
"Raising Arizona" and "Young Frankenstein" are hilarious. I haven't got time to check out the other clips yet; perhaps later after work.

One of my favorites for quirky comedy (black comedy in this case) is Terry Gilliam's "Brazil."

t_ross33
September 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
:rotflmao:Lots of my favs showing up here. Here's more from the Cohens (they are slightly disturbed me thinks)...

NPjhEsZr8Nw