PDA

View Full Version : Duffy: Never introduced myself I don't think.

Duff
September 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
I don't think I ever introduced myself.

I live in Central Pa., Amish country and a throwback in time about twenty years but it is cool in a way; but not many very good bands around. You have to travel.

I played drums for years and still do. When I retired, I'm 58, I bought my first decent electric guitar and amp and started taking lessons. I don't get enough lessons in but I practice every night, often falling asleep with the guitar across my chest. I have an amp at the head of my bed. I play several guitars and play a lot of different ones instead of settling in on one or two. They all sound super great. I picked out some nice guitars. All moderately priced but priceless to me. Right now I'm playing with my new Squire Standard Cherry burst sss standard strat and it is really nice. I am also playing tonight my free affinity strat that I hot rodded with SD pups; hot rail in the neck, 'lil 59 in the middle, and JB Jr. in the bridge - a combination recommended by the tech at SD and one I was thinking about because I like to use the neck for some smooth blues and the strings have more amplitude over the neck pup. Works great for me.

I am electronically inclined and enjoy working on putting in my own pups, etc. I am mostly a hobbist and sit in with some friends bands now and then. I learned drums from a pro friend of mine who is awesome. I also have a personal friend who collects vintage drums and has a small shop if you are interested in or have a pressing need for a certain hard to find drum part. I might be able to help you out. Give you his number, etc. Mention my name and you will get better than a fair shake, even though I'm not affilliated with him in any way other than as a friend. I know how old drum parts can be hard to find. Don't hesitate to call me. 570 764 5705 or at mjbolduc@dejazzd.com.

I have travelled around and have many muscian friends some of whom are semi professional and have played with major acts. I still enjoy seeing a great band in a small place and even some not so great bands in real small and even some super red neck places where you have to watch your step totally and it's easy to mess up and messing up could get you hurt in a hurry; cowboy type places. I mind my own business for the most part and don't drink, that helps. I prefer rock however and caught a hot local band in upstate NY just recently that rocked the house. Lots of super nice babes in there too if you don't mind me saying.

I enjoy playing the blues most especially both on the drums and on the guitar. I have the gift of God on the drums, know what I mean? I can play drums with no problem, figure stuff out without thinking. With guitar I am getting better, developing my ear significantly, but still need lessons and will probably never be as talented as I am at drums. Consequently, I just recently bought a set of three pro Conga drums on a close out at Dale's Drum Shop, Sonor's in beautiful sunburst, pro sizes: 12.5, 11.75, and 11.00. Might get a 9.75. They were a special deal at 100 +/- each including basket stands. This is a really good price for chrome trimmed approx. 3/4 inch thick wood stave conga drums. Buffalo skin heads. You should hear the tones. The set of three really supercedes the standard set of two you commonly see and you can play them late at night without disturbing anyone and you can really, really develop your rythym.

I found that my drumming experience has definitely helped me with guitar. I don't even have to tap my foot because I have an inherent time clock in my head that allows me to jump out of time and do riffs and stuff and still come right back in, in time. It is amazing and really messes up my instructor. I don't think he realizes it. Plus the rythym transfers over into strumming. Right now I'm developing a jam that I do that is kind of a metaphor of a big long freight train rollin out over the great plains at various speeds including very fast; if you have ever seen or heard a fast freight train rolling accross the great plains or midwest you know what I mean.

I remember the days when Elvis and the Beach Boys were beating out the
Beatles on the radio popularity contests: that didn't last long. I remember when Brian Jones was the leader of the Rolling Stones. I remember when Jimi Hendrix was rocking the house in NYC when a black man couldn't dring out of the same water fountain down South. I remember when Dwayne Allman revolutionized rock with the introduction of Southern Rock and Gregg Allman hitchhiked to NYC and went from pennilessness to fame and big money literally overnight: Dwayne Allman had connections in NYC as a studio muscian and they wanted to promote "the next big thing" Southern Rock and Gregg Allman became the keyboardist and lead singer against the wind so to speak. The producers didn't like brothers in bands back then. Lot of trouble I guess. They were wrong, eh? I remember when Led Zepplin broke all the stereotypes and when Bob Dylan culture shocked the Fold world going electric. I rember when Jethro Tull blew my mind and Chicago was super great and Blood Sweat and Tears had Al Kooper in it as the keyboard player and singer, get that album if you can: red label. That was a different Blood Sweat and Tears, believe me. I rember when you got lit and the whole world was going off like a roman candle and the sounds didn't sound the same but you could find ones like Dylan that would get your complete attention, and Elton John who just fit right between the wavelengths, smooth and in time. And the cops were out to get you, but they usually didn't know what they were looking for, ha ha. How'd that Buffalo Springfield song go: "There's a man with a gun over there, telling you that you gotta be ware . . . ." What was that all about? You had to live it. People don't know what it was like.

I always had an old funky guitar that didn't look any good at all and didn't even sound that great, but I tried my hardest to get an uneducated tune out of it. Had plenty of chances and friends that would have given me lessons but just didn't want to. What was wrong with me?

Today I love to take lessons and I definitely believe that you'll get a thousand times better a thousand times faster if you take lessons. I'm sure a lot of you all know what I mean. No man is an island so to speak.

I have a bunch of guitars I collected and amps, all fairly good stuff by my reckoning: a HRDx, a Delta Blues 15, a Blackheart head, V Jr. head. Epi V Jr cab, Epi So Cal cab, Vox pathfinder 15 and DA5, Fender Super Champ XD, Behringer GM110(excellent and cheap) from audioallies 98 US, no affilliation, Crate Flexwave 15R, Rogue 120 two twelve, Fender Rumble 100. Marshall bass amp MB30 (smooth). Various guitars that I will be posting pictures of due to good natured pressure from my fellow fretters and my latent laziness. I'm going to take some of them outside on my deck and get some nice sunlight pictures, the best light. I'm also going to figure out how to post some clips and share some of my raggeddy rock and rollin'. No harm done I don't suppose, unless you are a perfection fanatic; won't be finding it from me, I'm a rock and roller. And not that great of a one but I love it, so don't be too critical please. I'm just a dude with a fantasy, Mr. Fantasy I guess. But it's fun and there is a lot worse thing a dude could do.

Oh yeah, I also ride motorcycles, so that makes me even more of an undesirable outlaw. Got a nice '00 BMW Roadster, fast as you'd want to go and handles like a magic carpet.

So, that's a small window into my self. And I think this here crew is a great bunch of people with whom I hope to share many pleasant hours discussing matters of common interest and sharing information that we all need.

Thanks for being there for me.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa
mjbolduc@dejazzd.com

Pictures to follow very shortly. Some nice ones too.

tot_Ou_tard
September 1st, 2008, 04:24 AM
That was an fanatastic introduction Duff!

I thinks drums & bass are the key. I don't play them, but if I am listening to music live or on CD. I first try to lock in with my mind to the rhythm section rather than focusing on the guitar player.

Great life story too. What year did you hear Tull? I used to be a pretty big fan.

street music
September 1st, 2008, 05:47 AM
Welcome Duff, Rob has a great site here.

warren0728
September 1st, 2008, 06:23 AM
welcome duff....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

mrmudcat
September 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM
welcome

just strum
September 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM
Hey Duffy, great intro, I feel as if you are a family member (one that I still talk to). Very interest writing, being 54, you took me right down memory lane.

Robert
September 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks for that great intro! :AOK:
Welcome to this place!

evenkeel
September 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Terrific intro. Like others noted, a real trip down memory lane. I'm just a few years younger (55), semi retired, so lots of similarities.

Tot re: Tull. I saw Ian and the boys in NH in 70/71. St. Anselms College. A riot broke out when they cancelled the first show and tried to jam everybody into the college gym for the second show. Eventually they got things settled down and the show went on. Very scary.

Jimi75
September 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Welcome Duff, you will like this place!

:rotflmao:

luvmyshiner
September 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
Welcome aboard Duff!

Spudman
September 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM
Howdy Duff. Very nice intro. I feel like I've known you for a long time.;)

sunvalleylaw
September 1st, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Duff! Though I have been enjoying your posts already, it is great to get to know more about you. Nice intro! And I would love to hear clips. I am still pretty new, so one of the great things I like about this place is that a guy can post something that is not at all perfect, and it is still well received, with support and good suggestions. I would love to hear your good ol' rock n' roll!

Algonquin
September 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Good stuff Duff :AOK:
Cheers :beer:
David

wingsdad
September 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Howdy, Duff,

I'm not retired but we share the same age...and recollections of the bygone days of the music our generation came of age with.

You got me thinkin' of concerts I managed to catch while in college, from '68-'72 .... Nixon's first term, and it was the Dickens to pass from the age of 18-21+: the worst of times, the best of times. Tull opening for Led Zeppelin; Allman Bros., pre Fillmore East, opening for Chicago Transit Authority, before the 2nd album change.; B,S&T (I've got that Kooper album - "Child Is Father To The Man"...but by now this was David Clayton-Thomas 2nd album era) opening for the Chambers Bros. to be followed by Wilson Pickett.

But I am NOT one of the 73 Million who claim to have been at Woodstock.

Great intro, Duff, welcome. :dude:

piebaldpython
September 1st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Welcome DUFF, but you have been posting so long that we all knew you anyway. ahahhzhhahaha Anyway, your posts have spurred me to get a VOX DA-5 or VOX DA-15 very shortly. Thanks!!

scgmhawk
September 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM
Real nice introduction, Duff. :bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
September 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Tot re: Tull. I saw Ian and the boys in NH in 70/71. St. Anselms College. A riot broke out when they cancelled the first show and tried to jam everybody into the college gym for the second show. Eventually they got things settled down and the show went on. Very scary.
Yikes!

Was Aqualung out yet?
This Was, Stand Up, & Benefit were out. Add in 1972's Thick As a Brick & you've got some great music.

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post about yourself, Duff. Even though you've been here for quite a while, it helps the rest of us to get to know you & where you're coming from. Welcome, though you certainly don't really need one by now! You're already one of the gang. :beer:

And I like ya even better now that I know that you're one of the few Fretters older than me!! :eek: Not by much, though--I'll be 58 next b.d. That was a good walk down memory lane, with that list of old bands. I sure remember Kooper with BS&T, the ruckus that Zeppelin created when they first broke onto the scene, and the first time I heard Tull and the ABB. Good times.... :dude: :rockon:

oldguy
September 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Duffy!:)
Nice memories, btw. I'll be 54 in a couple of months, and I, too, have fond recollections of those days. Nice intro also.:AOK:

Duff
September 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
You know I don't think these so called writers really captured the essence of the seventies and late sixties with their renditions of what it was like.

For instance, watch "Born on the Fourth of July". That is a movie that tells it the way it WAS. No BS. That movie was right on time. It captured the classic vibe of what it was like to live then. Nam vets or just plain Army guys weren't respected at all, practically.

I was one of the last guys drafted. I had to fight my way thru protesters just to get into the draft building in Albany, NY. I hated getting drafted but it was something I decided I had to do and I had to fight my way thru the protesters. What a contradiction of realities. I hated the war, getting drafted, and the protesters that stole my shoe but finally threw it at me along with a few insults. It was a time of contradiction and F****d up polititions. Nixon was in then. I was one of the "unfortunate ones". I hated every minute of the service, even though it probably did me some good.]

Lately, since retiring, I let my hair grow; it's pretty long and will get longer if I don't have to have chemotherapy or something. I love my hair long now. I wear some conservative beads, some star ear rings. I want to do these things and I don't care what anyone thinks. Hippies weren't all bad people. I'm sure some were though, dirtbags, criminals, etc. But I'm proud of my generation. We opened up a lot of doors. Like Elton said introducing George Harrison and Ringo Starr in that Youtube of "While my guitar gently weeps": if it wasn't for these two none of us would be here. George and Ringo were hippies, archetypical hippies and I'm sure Ringo still is just like McCartney and I'm sure they are proud of it. I wonder how McCartney feels about being highlighted as "Sir" Paul McCartney. Plus, to make matters even more hard to understand, he isn't a typical "Sir" but is a conditional one; some sort of honorary "Sir" that they hand out in title only or some other limitation. Glad we got rid of all that Royalty discrimination stuff during the revolution.

Also, by the way, listen to that other Youtube of basically the same band playing the same song as a tribute shortly after George died. Well worth hearing Clapton's guitar weep. It weeps like I never heard it cry before and you know exactly who it's weeping for. Well worth looking at that Youtube. The government should leave Youtube alone. Like that SRV cover song he does with all the emotion: "Leave my girl alone". You can just feel the meaning of those words and you know they are dead serious.

Yeah that probably was the glory days of rock. Bands like Grand Funk Highway were considered bubble gum as well as The Guess Who. I saw the Guess Who back then for free accidentally: awesome, plain and simple - awesome, definitely not bubble gum. How about The Band? Bet we have a few Band fans here. They were one of the best band I ever saw live; also The James Gang was one of the best. Music had a lot of tone and musicality, for the most part; at least you could find a lot of it.

Today I like the Black Crowes for that combination of serious tone and musicality. But I'm not into it enought to know a lot of the great new bands like some of you guys are, like Spud for instance. He sent me some discs with some great music on it by names I for the most part didn't know exist. We have S*** radio stations here in this part of Central Pennsylvania but plenty of Amish buggies. Not bad people by the way but definitely different. Mostly very good people and hard workers. A lot of these extremist environmentalists would probably be graciously welcomed to join up with the Amish clans around here. They could put some of their environmentalist ideas to work and actually make the Amish way of life MORE environmentally sound.

Actually I'm an environmentalist and conservationist. Haven't used an ounce of fuel oil in the last three years. Strictly wood, and have a new Scandinavian wood stove called a Leyden. Burns for 18 hours and is very efficient and beautiful and 2300 dollars, country red porcealin. Opens like a fireplace too. I'm lucky in a lot of ways.

Had to put down my number one dog today: a yellow lab named Nala from the Lion king, 14 years old. Very peaceful animal, never been in a fight. Used to dive into those BIG ocean breakers chasing tennis balls, even in her old age. People would come from all over the beach to watch her. She will be buried in my back yard alongside two of my other dogs.

Currently am left with a great female Black lab named Nigella, which means black in Dutch with the feminine suffix. Nigel was a black lab male I had. The black Knight was probably named Nigel.

I probably shouldn't carry on to such great extent expounding upon myself. I'm proud of a lot of aspects of myself and am reluctant to talk about, "The things I used to do".

But you guys and gals are great. This is the best forum I've ever participated in, without any close competition. Every one is respectful and practices conflict avoidance for the most part, or at least couches their aggressiveness in a thick layer of harmless BS. I like that atmosphere. We can disagree, why not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Enough carrying on,

Best wishes and thanks,

Duffy

player
September 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
WELCOME Duff I know you will like it hereĀ®-Very well thought out intro. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
September 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Welcome Duff.

Love the soldiers (and sailors-- my dad was a career Navy man), hated the war.

I didn't throw no shoes at no one.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Mojo and prayers to you on that score.