PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' sentimental 'bout the blues

helliott
September 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Here's a recent creation, lots of blues and some borrowed. For those too young to recall, as in not as ancient as me, the melody at the end is from a big band classic called Sentimental Journey. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

http://www.box.net/shared/ib74mjxmz4

marnold
September 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Very nice, helliott! I enjoyed it a lot. Got the ol' toes tapping.

mrmudcat
September 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sounded good brother!!!

Suggestions........Encore??:rockon:

Oh yea need the setup info ..amp /axe:AOK:

sumitomo
September 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Man that is good playing and great Tone there,I second Muds request on setup,Good job. Sumi:D

helliott
September 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Sorry, dudes. Half the time I'm lucky if I remember I have pants on, never mind gear used.
On this one, the whole family pitched in. One rhythm track is my Strat, the second chunkier one is the PRS. Bass is courtesy of a Yammy 5-string, and the melody (lead and harmony) is an Epi Sheraton.
Eppi went through the Mesa (clean, fair bit of gain), both rhythms through the old Line 6 Flextone (Fender settings, both pretty clean), bass through the Boss 1200 recording deck effects (called Stadium Bass in this case.)
Mic'ing was all over the map. Mostly close mic'd with a bit of room thrown in.
Crappy drums courtesy Mr. Boss programmers.

SuperSwede
September 2nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Nice one (as always) Helliot :)

aeolian
September 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Very nice playing indeed!

I can't find anything to criticize with the song or your playing, but I do have some questions. I thought the recorded sound is bit muffled. I have a nice amp which sounds very nice, but when I tried to record it before I couldn't get either the clarity of the sound or the ambiance onto 'tape.' I'm wondering what I did wrong, and whether it is happening with your recording too. Another very minor sonic thing with your song is that I find all the guitars a little too much crowded in the mid frequencies. But that may just be me and my ears.

Final verdict: two thumbs up :bravo:

warren0728
September 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
more great stuff!! :bravo: :beer:

ww

Jimi75
September 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Great playing, great track. The PRS sounds pretty good. That was definitely something different.

GREENMACHINE
September 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Wicked Helliot! Great job!

helliott
September 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for listening and the input. In hindsight, it does sound a bit muffled, though it was fine in the cans. Maybe I could EQ my way out of that. Someone with more expertise than me, which is nearly everyone, might have a suggestion. I've noticed this problem before, but tracked it to my problems getting an equal recording between cans and monitors, which are just old Yorkville PA speakers.
Thoughts?

Algonquin
September 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Sorry I missed this one Howie. I think it's excellent as always, but I understand the difficulites between technician, and musician. My take is to plug on as musician, as your recordings skills are very good, and will only progress more as time goes by. I'm waiting for the day when I'm as proficient as you are with the mike and tape :master:

helliott
September 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks all. Yes, the only choice is to keep plugging, and someday, maybe get the golden ring sometime. Thanks for listening.

Vihar
September 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
That sounded great, Helliott! reminded me of fun tunes of Steely Dan, which is a good thing. :dude:

oldguy
September 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Just got a chance to listen.......... good job, Helliott! That rocked, and the ending was cool...... I remember "Sentimental Journey"..... good stuff indeed.
Thanks for sharing, I liked it mucho.:AOK:

FrankAxtell
September 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Man that is some sweet blues playin'...I hear that old Humble Pie vibe goin' on. Rock On!:bravo: