PDA

View Full Version : Odd sounding G string

Duff
September 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
I have a couple guitars that have odd sounding G strings. When you pluck all the strings in order the G string just doesn't seem to fit into the pattern of sound even though they are perfectly tuned G strings.

The sound they make is kind of dead sounding, not ringing like the strings next to them. This is confusing. My new Cherry Burst strat does not sound anything like this. The G string rings right in order with the other strings.

I can't figure it out and I am almost positive that I changed out one of the G strings with a new one and it still sounded dull.

How would the nut cut affect this sound? Should I try raising up the string by putting a little super glue in the nut groove and letting it dry? The slots are not pinching. The bridges are fine. The G strings sound dead.

Maybe tomorrow I'll pick up a G string and try it on one of the guitars that sounds this way, or even get a whole new set of strings.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? When I fret it with my finger it rings correctly. It's just open strumming where it sounds off.

Thanks in advance for help with this perplexing problem,

Duffy

markb
September 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
If we're talking about the open string tone it's the nut. Either the break point isn't a clean edge or the slot is cut at the wrong angle. If you mean when fretted, I'd suspect a bad string. If you're talking about acoustics, I've found that Gs tend to go bad first for some reason (this could just be me, of course).

thearabianmage
September 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
If you are having trouble with G strings, I'd switch to boxers :D

I've noticed this too, how the ring is different than other strings.

I'm not sure about the dull part, but what my G strings tend to do is sound out of tune when they are perfectly in tune. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is somewhat natural (I can't remember why), although I could be mistaken.

Hope that helps.

Duff
September 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Any other observations or comments are appreciated.

Duffy

M29
September 3rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
I would think it is the nut or the saddle. There is nothing between here and there unless you are talking about fretting and then there are the frets the saddle and your finger.
I have had intonation issues with the G string which some have said a wound G string does not have that problem and I notice that most G strings on acoustics usually sound fine.

Like Mark has mentioned the breaking point on the nut could be the problem. If this is not correct you can get dull sounds, buzzing, sitar like sounds and on.
Also make sure both screws on your saddle are touching or resting on the bridge plate evenly.

IMHO of course:D

M29

wingsdad
September 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Duffy,
You say your new Cherryburst Strat's OK, but haven't specified what kind of guitars are having the dead G string problem...:confused:

So, going blind, I'll throw out a couple of 'if it's this...' notions
Could be the nut slot thing, or if it's a guitar with a locking nut, then it's a similar situation. If the problem is on a Strat type with string trees, check the angle of the tree holding the G string...it needs to be paralel w/ the nut.

ShortBuSX
September 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Im gonna say its the saddles, if those 2 feet arent hitting equally, one will vibrate/rattle...Id bet thats what it is.

player
September 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
personally use 0.18 round wound G strings on my guitar(s)never had that problem but hope yours is a simple fix/adjustment

Duff
September 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
How do you get wound G strings? Do you buy them separately or do you get a certain set? I like the wound string sound.

Let me know dude.

Thanks,

Duff

markb
September 3rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=619&ID=1&Class=AABA

Daddario 10s with a wound 3rd.

TS808
September 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
That happened to me one time too only with the D string...I found my guitar only did that with GHS Nickel Rockers....any other string was fine, but with the Nickel Rockers, my D would always sound dull. There would be literally no sustain.

Duff
September 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Maybe it was just my state of mind, but I have heard it before not sounding like it fits into the rest of the strings. Next time I encounter it I'm going to check these things you guys have suggested.

Duff

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
G-strings drive me nuts...I've got to try wound G's.

ShortBuSX
September 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Im starting to think this is 'strat-itis'...I dont know which pickups youve got, but if the pole pieces are raised, your pickup height could be affecting the resonance of that string, it could also make tunning and intonation difficult as well.
Lower your pickup and see if that helps.

marnold
September 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Im starting to think this is 'strat-itis'...I dont know which pickups youve got, but if the pole pieces are raised, your pickup height could be affecting the resonance of that string, it could also make tunning and intonation difficult as well.
Didn't think about that, especially if he's got vintage stagger pickups. Good call.

Spudman
September 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Good call. :AOK: Try backing the pickups down toward the body a bit.