PDA

View Full Version : Squire "Black Pearl"

Duff
September 2nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
My 20th aniv Squire I got free and modded with a black pearl pickguard and SD pickups plays and sounds awesome.

Just got finished playing it for some time and wow! What a cool sound. Nice strong output and really nice tone from all three pickups: SDs all, hot rail in neck, 'lil 59 in middle, and JB Jr. in Bridge. New pots and wiring and this is a real gem; a "Black Pearl".

Pictures are coming soon but they won't do justice to the sound.

I'm going to have to mic my cab and run it into my computer and figure out how to attach some clips to the Fret. I have two days off and plan on playing a lot. I play every night and notice that I'm getting better, but I'm sure you pro's out there won't be too impressed. I'm probably an intermediate but I have soul and rythym and a drummers time clock on auto timer. But my technique and knowledge is growing as time goes by because I take lessons.

Anyway, anyone looking for some great pickups might try that set up that I have for the sss strat: SD hot rail in the neck for a smooth and strong blues lead or rythym, the 'lil 59 in the middle for a real great middle pickup, and the JB Jr. for a strong bridge sound with great tone and more bite and twang than you would ever imagine from a JB. These are not like regular humbuckers, believe me. You'll see when I get the clips posted.

They are expensive pickups but most great pickups are. I have tried some inepensive GFS pups and probably will again, but this set up is incredible.

In an Affinity at that! I really like this guitar, as you can easily tell.

Thought I had to let you all know how this project is turning out. I wanted to use three distinctly different but compatible pickups in the sss combination that would work well in switch positions two and four. I called the SD tech and got his input. He suggested this and said a lot of people are using it. So I now have a very very versitile strat that has some strong output and an excellent variety of tones.

Because this guitar has had an unknown number of owners, players an it is from '01 or '02, it has a nice natural relic look to the ebony gloss black body. Waxed up nice it looks awesome with the new black pearl pickguard. So it doesn't look junky and it's a great guitar, although the average bystander wouldn't know it. The average drunk wouldn't either. But I do appreciate it and that's what counts.

This guitar exists. Pictures will follow soon.

Duffy

Spudman
September 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
You can also record direct with your RP.
Did you say pictures? Eh? :poke: ;)

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Did you say pictures? Eh? :poke: ;)
See that, Duff? I'm not the only one!! ;) :D

ShortBuSX
September 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I dont think I could possibly read another thing about em till I see em.:poke:

ShortBuSX
September 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
You know, it may have seemed like we were just joking about seeing pics...but everytime you post I keep wondering when were gonna see these pics?
Its like there is this wanton need now...youve kept us in suspense forever now, come on, show us whatchu got mang:poke:

M29
September 26th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Black pearl pickguard...all waxed up...lil 59, JB...ah huh...sounds like a real nice guitar there Duff...........:poke:

Duff
September 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I NEED to take some pics.

Duff

BluezOldy
September 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I NEED to take some pics.

Duff

Yes, you do! :D

just strum
September 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM
This is like the hot chick that a guy picked up after everyone left the party, but sitting on his bed is a brown paper bag - there was no hot chick:poke:

Katastrophe
September 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Pics, Duff.... Please?:D

Duff
September 27th, 2008, 01:29 AM
You guys are "Fretting" about these pictures like you hav some kind of obsession and even some of you are having delusions, imagining that I might actually be making this up.

"The Black Pearl" EXISTS! It is sweet, naturally relic'd in a very very unobtrusive way. It looks almost new! The new parts like the pickguard, SD pickups, and Fender lockers give it a very new look.

Man, it's been so long now I'll have to re-wax it up before I take the pictures. I do have some wax though, even though my new Newfoundland dog ate my guitar oil bottle. I have some great wax.

Even though it's raining I'll take some inside pictures tomorrow to remedy, to some unpredictable extent, the "Fretting".

Hang in there . . . I mean . . . be patient and tomorrow I'll take some of the "Black Pearl" and the "Amber Flame" Epi non burst LP plus top standard with flatwounds and Seymour duncan '59 in neck and JB in Bridge.

Duffy

just strum
September 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/sleep.gif