PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday John Zorn!!!!

R_of_G
September 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Today, Sept. 2, is the birthday of composer/musician John Zorn.

I cannot overstate how much admiration I have for Zorn. First and foremost, he is a brilliant composer. As a bandleader, Zorn's projects are among the most interesting and experimental I've ever encountered. Naked City, Masada, Electric Masada, Bar Kokhba, Cobra, the bands he assembled for The Gift and The Dreamers albums, Emergency, etc... All of Zorn's bands are comprised of some of the best musicians on the planet, and he gets the most out of them. He also happens to be a damn fine sax player.

Zorn is the master. His music may not appeal to everyone, though I think the catalog is so vast and so varied that given enough listening time, everyone will find something which appeals to them.

Happy Birthday JZ! I anticipate each new project like a kid at christmas.

tot_Ou_tard
September 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Time to play Zorn & drive my wife crazy.

You know those address stickers that you get free in the mail from groups wanting your donations? My wife sticks them on the CD's that I have bought that she hates.

My Zorn collection is fully stickered ;).

R_of_G
September 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
That's hilarious Tot.

My wife wasn't crazy about Zorn at first either, especially as her earliest introduction to him was the thrash-jazz of the Naked City 'miniatures'. However, she loves The Gift and The Dreamers, and has started to see what it is I see in Electric Masada. After this many years, she's come to love most projects that involve Marc Ribot.

By the way, The Dreamers came with a sheet of really cool stickers. You should order it and start putting those stickers all over her cd's. A little sticker revenge a la Zorn.

tot_Ou_tard
September 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
By the way, The Dreamers came with a sheet of really cool stickers. You should order it and start putting those stickers all over her cd's. A little sticker revenge a la Zorn. That's a perfect idea, except that I like everything that she likes.

She doesn't put the stickers on to be mean, only to warn herself not to make the mistake of playing that one ever, *ever* again!