PDA

View Full Version : A different approach. . .

thearabianmage
September 2nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hey y'all, I thought I'd make a contribution to this portion of TheFret with a bit of unusual advice aimed at people who improvise or perform, or just want to try something different. Well, really, this is that kind of advice that, with the right mind, can be applied to anything. Not just guitar. But it's always good to learn stuff like this through familiar media before expanding.

This advice stems from the Chinese philosophies of Taoism (or Tao Teh Ching). And for the police: No, Taoism is not a religion. There are no central figure-heads, gods, or deities, nor is there dogma that must be followed. It's just 81 ancient Chinese poems about life, or 'Tao' (literally 'The Way').

Have you ever been asked to do something that you had no idea how to do? I'm sure everybody has at some point or another. How did it turn out? Sometimes, we actually do a good job. It's called 'beginner's luck'. Why is that? How does beginner's luck work?

When you did that task, you had no precedent. You would have had to take it one logical step by one logical step at a time. You would have had to react to your surroundings.

Once complete, you are proud you've done a good job and try to do it again, but this time, it's not so good. Why?

Probably because you tried to copy what you did the first time. You had a precedent for how to complete it. Instead of logical steps, it was 'what I did last time'. Instead of reacting to your surroundings, you tried to control them.

The problem with this is that you were a different person the first time you did it than you were the second time around. We are constantly changing as people. The Joe who started typing this sentence is a different Joe that finished typing this sentence, because the second Joe has the added experience of having typed the sentence and this affects the way he thinks which changes him as a person.

Another reason: If you are looking for it, you will not find it.

We, as humans, are very conscious of ourselves - thus our sentience. We think about what we say, what we wear, where we go, when we eat, how we look. In fact, we think about almost everything. But sometimes this type of thought, so familiar to us in our everyday lives, can hinder us, too.

How?

Sometimes, when an inexperienced player tries to improvise, they will find themselves struggling or 'lost for notes' so-to-say. This problem usually happens because the player is thinking about what to do instead of actually doing it. It's the same thing when an inexperienced performer gets on stage, and gets very nervous. They are thinking about not making mistakes so much to the point that they make even more mistakes. From there, it can go downhill, and fast.

What these people are doing when they thinking too much is inhibiting what should be naturally coming out. Or they are 'looking for it'. Most people would say that they just need to calm down. Even though that's right, I'll take it a step further. Empty your head. Clear your thoughts.

Here's a simple way to try this, even right now, if one so wishes. Relax. Listen. Listen to everything around you. Separate each noise from the next. Hear everything individually. Focus on each sound individually so you can only hear that sound, then move on to the next sound. Do this with all of the sounds you hear. Then hear them all as one.

Did you feel any calmer? Or did you feel any different at all? If you didn't, you might have been thinking about something. Anything. If you were thinking, then you weren't listening. Try again. Remember, if you are looking for it, you will not find it.

The last thing to remember, for now, is to learn how recognize this feeling of calm. When you feel it, you should know. But again, you can't think about it:

'It's like a finger pointing to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all that heavenly glory.'

Sound familiar? Yeah, he was a brilliant philosopher, 'Ol Brucey.

Summary: calm yourself, let it flow, don't cloud your mind with thoughts. Or, as Nike say: Just do it.

How does this help guitar playing? Well, that's what makes this unusual advice. I can't explain it, you have to discover it for yourself. If everybody could understand it at the snap of a finger, it wouldn't be so unusual. Anyways: 'Tao called Tao is not Tao'. If I could explain it simply, I'm probably not explaining it right.

I hope this wasn't too long or hippy-ish for everybody. And I hope it makes sense. If not, sorry I wasted your time :D It works for me, anyhow :beer: :rockon:

Cheers!

jpfeifer
September 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I like this advice. There is some truth to it, just letting it flow, and don't think too hard about what you're doing.

-- Jim

Jimi75
September 3rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
Hey Mage,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this down in words. Relaxing / calming down tips are always a good thing and I will try your method the next time.

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Pretty good stuff Mage.
Maybe in short...'there is only now.'

tunghaichuan
September 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
Excellent post, thanks for taking the time to write all that down.

I've long been interested in Taoism and other eastern philosopies.

I'd encourage you to read a copy of "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner. Werner is a jazz musician and he talks about fear-based playing: fear of sounding bad and fear of making a mistake as roadblocks to effortless playing.

I also like the writings of Eckhart Tolle, who wrote "The Power of Now" which is one of the most profound books I've ever read.

I made some comments on those two books in this thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5212

I like this passage from the Tao Teh Ching:

76. Flexibility
A newborn is soft and tender,
A crone, hard and stiff.
Plants and animals, in life, are supple and succulent;
In death, withered and dry.
So softness and tenderness are attributes of life,
And hardness and stiffness, attributes of death.

Just as a sapless tree will split and decay
So an inflexible force will meet defeat;
The hard and mighty lie beneath the ground
While the tender and weak dance on the breeze above.

Source: http://www.chinapage.com/gnl.html#76

tung

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
I also like the writings of Eckhart Tolle, who wrote "The Power of Now" which is one of the most profound books I've ever read.

Likewise. That is how what Mage wrote hit me. All the concepts in the book echo what Mage said. Powerful book and the audio version of the book is great too just shorter.

warren0728
September 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
good post mage....feel free to right more on this subject....very interesting.... :AOK:

ww

sunvalleylaw
September 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
I enjoyed that too. I like those techniques and philosophies and can be pretty "Western Civ" in my thinking, esp. with my catholic school upbringing. Good thoughts!

thearabianmage
September 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Pretty good stuff Mage.
Maybe in short...'there is only now.'

Close, but still good in its own right. I would say that maybe in short: 'Just let go.'

Thanks y'all for the comments. There is plenty more where that came from.

Tung:

Looking at your name, I thought you might be interested in something Eastern. Those books you mentioned sound very interesting.

On the same subject, I would highly recommend a book called 'Zen Guitar.'

I read that book in one sitting - I don't do that often, considering my slow reading pace (I read at talking pace. I can, but don't like, reading quickly) - that says something.

Anyways, I hope that helps anyone/everyone. They are good methods, but they are only scratching the tip of the Taoist iceberg.

And it's not all just about Taoism, either.

I'll definitely do some more later. Right now I have to pack. I have just received the keys for my first apartment. 4 days to go until The Move.

Enjoy y'all, and remember: have fun!

:dude: :rockon: :beer:

thearabianmage
September 3rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Right,

So another quick lesson on this approach. Again, it's just as unusual as the others, and it may seem like I'm saying the same thing again, but sometimes, to fully understand something, you have to see it from different angles. Sometimes, many different angles.

Tao, in Chinese, literally means 'way' or 'path'. Way of what? Path to where?

Let me tell you the strange story of the bird, the fish, and the tree frog:

There was a fish who fell in love with a bird who was trying to catch him. The fish had asked the bird not only to spare his life, but to live with him forever. 'Where?' asked the bird, 'I can't swim, and you can't fly, and for either of us to do so would be absurd.'

The bird had a point. Trying to be something you are not is like a fish who flies, or a bird who swims.

The tree frog, on the other hand, was watching the whole thing from his home. He laughed hysterically at the thought of a fish that flies or a bird that swims.

See, the tree frog is a tree frog. He doesn't have sleepless nights worrying about being a bad tree frog, nor does he try to be the best tree frog. And he doesn't try to impress his buddy tree frogs. He just does what comes naturally to him as a tree frog, and he does it brilliantly. He doesn't think about being a frog, he just is.

Similarly, when you go to do something, should think about doing it right? Or think about doing it wrong? Or should you just do it and see what happens?

This is just one aspect of 'The Way' that Taoism refers to.

To understand this through another angle, try this:

1. Start off with your guitar in your lap.
2. Clear all of your thoughts.
3. Relax. Listen. Do just like I said in the first post.
4. Pick a random note on your guitar - any note (remember, if you think about it, then the process is ruined)
5. See where that note leads.
6. Let go.

What happened? How did it feel? Good? Bad?

Let me describe my first successful attempt at this:

The first time it happened with me, I had a backing track playing. I wasn't very good at improvising, but something was clicking that morning, I could feel it. I was listening to each part of track: the bass, the drums, the rhythm, and also the lead - but the lead was in my head. My head was so clear that I could 'hear' what I wanted to play before I played it. My eyes were semi-closed, so when I opened them, I looked at the fretboard and literally saw what I was hearing. I saw where the bends were, where the runs were, where everything was. It was all right there. So I did it. I just let go.

I think that's enough, for now. If this just gets too much, please say - I don't want to bore or confuse anyone or anything. Confusing someone would be the complete opposite of what I aimed to achieve by typing this up :D

If anyone happens to be really interested in this way of thinking, I would also highly recommend a book called 'The Tao of Pooh.'

Yes, it's 'about' Winnie the Pooh, but it really is a good book. And just to say, I never read nor watched Winnie the Pooh as a child, and you don't need to know anything about Pooh to read 'The Tao of Pooh.' It may not seem very manly to some, but it really is good. Plus, real men don't need to worry about not being manly :D If you need further elaboration on that point, read the story about the fish, the bird, and the tree frog. Specifically the tree frog :beer:

Cheers

tunghaichuan
September 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Tung:

Looking at your name, I thought you might be interested in something Eastern. Those books you mentioned sound very interesting.

On the same subject, I would highly recommend a book called 'Zen Guitar.'

I read that book in one sitting - I don't do that often, considering my slow reading pace (I read at talking pace. I can, but don't like, reading quickly) - that says something.

My screen name is a bastardization of Dong Hai-chuan, who was the founder of baguazhang, a Chinese martial art with Taoist roots. Originally bagua wasn't a martial art at all; it was a framework of concepts that a martial artist could apply to an existing art to make it more internal, like taiji. Dong learned these techniques from an old Taoist, but never did say much more. The chief exercise is "walking the circle," which comes from an old Taoist mediation technique of holding a specific posture while walking the perimeter of a large circle. Later Dong's students developed their own techniques specific to bagua. In fact, the founder of the lineage that I studied was a Shuai Jiao (Chinese wrestling) expert. At the highest levels, there is very little striking, mostly throws. I've seen some speculation that Aikido borrowed some bagua techniques, but nothing really to prove that Ueshiba was ever exposed to bagua. Anyway bagua fighting is very evasive, and involves twisting and turning. Very Taoist in both theory and application. FWIW.

I have read "Zen Guitar" and enjoyed it very much. I got the sequel, "The Book of Six Strings," a while back but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

tung

tunghaichuan
September 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
'Mage,

[exersize snipped for brevity]

I would highly recommend Kenny Werner's book. The exercises therein are very much like what you've described. Included with the book is a series of guided meditations on CD.

tung

thearabianmage
September 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
'Mage,

[exersize snipped for brevity]

I would highly recommend Kenny Werner's book. The exercises therein are very much like what you've described. Included with the book is a series of guided meditations on CD.

tung

I was checking out the book on Amazon, and read one of the reviews for it:

''5/5 - 'Well done.'
An interesting read.
My enthusiasm for this book goes up and down.Does it really work ?I don't know but it's a pleasure trying to find out.The main message seems to be develop your technique and then allow your inner self/ subconscious to take over and this certainly fits with current theories of neurology e.g. Deborah Bull- the dancing body''

I find what I italicized very interesting.

Would you agree with that line?

tunghaichuan
September 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I was checking out the book on Amazon, and read one of the reviews for it:

''5/5 - 'Well done.'
An interesting read.
My enthusiasm for this book goes up and down.Does it really work ?I don't know but it's a pleasure trying to find out.The main message seems to be develop your technique and then allow your inner self/ subconscious to take over and this certainly fits with current theories of neurology e.g. Deborah Bull- the dancing body''

I find what I italicized very interesting.

Would you agree with that line?

I think it goes deeper than the quote indicates. To put it in Taoist terms: all living things come from the source, all living things go back to the source when they die. The source cannot described because it is not a *thing.*

Werner talks about connecting to the source. He says that most musicians recieve music from a tiny opening to the source. The goal is for the musician to become open so that the the music comes from a vast ocean in comparison. Technique is only a means to an end, the end is that the musician channels/filters music from the source. The musician is not playing the music per se, that is a construct of the ego.

This is becoming dangerously close to a religious discussion, so I won't say any more.

tung

thearabianmage
September 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Werner talks about connecting to the source. He says that most musicians recieve music from a tiny opening to the source. The goal is for the musician to become open so that the the music comes from a vast ocean in comparison. Technique is only a means to an end, the end is that the musician channels/filters music from the source. The musician is not playing the music per se, that is a construct of the ego.

Nice answer. I understand what you mean. This book sounds very interesting. When I move to London, I'm definitely gonna get it.

Speaking of technique being a means to an end, what are your thoughts on Alexander Technique (i.e. thought in relation to motion)? I mean, do you know about it, do you use it, etc.?

tunghaichuan
September 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Nice answer. I understand what you mean. This book sounds very interesting. When I move to London, I'm definitely gonna get it.

Be sure to let us know what you think. I've read it through twice now, and even dabled with the guided meditations, but it was hard for me to be consistant with it.

Speaking of technique being a means to an end, what are your thoughts on Alexander Technique (i.e. thought in relation to motion)? I mean, do you know about it, do you use it, etc.?

I had never heard of it. I'll have to find out more about it. Thanks for mentioning it.

tung