PDA

View Full Version : 490T too weak?

LagrangeCalvert
September 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
I play my SG a lot. I gig with it, do all my practice with it, and pretty much kick the old lady (sorry jamie) out of bed and sleep with it.

That being said I can only say ONE bad thing about it:

I'm not too thrilled with the bridge pickup in it.... Its a faded gibby and its loaded with a 490T - and its weak - that has a weaker sound than the 490R, and I love that pickup.

I have a Paul, with a pearly gates in it but it also has 300K pots (vol. & tone.) so its a little rounder sounding than most....not to mention its got a single coil in the neck......I digress.

So my question is, should I switch this 490T out for a Pearly Gates, a pup I love..... or will it sound waay too bright with the 500K's that are in my SG...

Should I put some 300K's in my SG? I don't want to change the tone of my neck pup though.

Tone2TheBone
September 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Get a Duncan Custom 5 for the bridge. Or get a Gibson Classic 57.

hubberjub
September 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
I never cared for the 490 in my Les Paul. It always seemed to lack definition. I switched mine out for Dimarzio Virtual PAFs and haven't looked back. I have never thought of the Pearly Gates as an overly bright pickup. I think you'll be fine. You can always roll a little high end off with the tone control.

Plank_Spanker
September 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of the 490, either.

The Pearly Gates is a nice pickup and I think it will be fine with the 500K pot.

Brian Krashpad
September 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Get a Duncan Custom 5 for the bridge. Or get a Gibson Classic 57.

I have the Custom 5 in my LP Classic. :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
September 5th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have the Custom 5 in my LP Classic. :AOK:

Yes you do my friend! :bravo: :beer:

So what have you decided on LG?

LagrangeCalvert
September 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm going with a pearly gates....... I love how they sound.

I don't necessarily want to change the neck pup....I like its sound, but if I were to change it...... any suggestions my fellow fretters?

Plank_Spanker
September 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm going with a pearly gates....... I love how they sound.

I don't necessarily want to change the neck pup....I like its sound, but if I were to change it...... any suggestions my fellow fretters?

SD '59? That's one smooth pickup for neck positions.

Andy
September 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
This is probably a silly question but have you tried adjusting the pickup height? I mean between both pickups even?.

I only ask because you complained about it's weakness rather than it's sound/tone

LagrangeCalvert
October 2nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
This is probably a silly question but have you tried adjusting the pickup height? I mean between both pickups even?.

I only ask because you complained about it's weakness rather than it's sound/tone

Yeah I have tweaked and tweaked....but to no avail.

It still sounds thin and has less volume than the R........

Either way I just got a Pearly Gates for the Bridge and a Jazz for the neck....

Andy
October 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
good combo!