PDA

View Full Version : Squier Deluxe strat weight...

golfcartconspiracy
September 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows the weight on these guitars... they're basswood, so I understand they should be light. Anyways, just wondering what the difference will be between this one (which is on order), and my current Epi Les Paul. Thanks

-GCC

duhvoodooman
September 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows the weight on these guitars... they're basswood, so I understand they should be light. Anyways, just wondering what the difference will be between this one (which is on order), and my current Epi Les Paul.
I would guess somewhere in the 6 - 7 lb. range. If you have a typical solid mahogany Epi LP, that will generally be up in the 9 - 10 lb. range. So about a third lighter.

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Good question. Unfortunately I don't have a scale that will measure accurately so I couldn't tell you exactly. It doesn't seem any heavier or lighter than any of my other Strats. I don't know if that helps or not but what do pounds matter?

golfcartconspiracy
September 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Okay, that helps a lot, I've just been wondering if there will be a noticable difference between it and the LP (which can feel a bit like a bag of bricks quite frankly)... I'm looking forward to a lighter electric!

-gcc

thanks guys!

Katastrophe
September 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Use a wider strap on the LP. It'll help distribute the weight a bit better on your shoulder, and won't feel like a bag of bricks... I think you'll find the Squier, with its contoured body and lighter weight, to be more comfortable than an LP.:AOK:

Oh, and welcome to TheFret!:pancake:

marnold
September 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
I've found that guitars made of basswood can vary greatly in weight. My old Charvel Model 7 weighed a ton. My Fender is feather-light. My Floyd is somewhere in between--about the same as an alder strat.

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
If you compare the Strat to a Les Paul it is much lighter than the LP for sure and like Kat says "more comfortable." They are nicely curved and happily rest against your body.

golfcartconspiracy
September 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys, I'm really getting excited for my strat now! I just talked to my shop, and their going to contact Fender tomorrow to see what the hang up is (I've been waiting over 2 months now). So yeah, I'm looking forward to having an alternative to my LP...

-gcc

Duff
September 3rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Which strat are you getting, out of curiosity? There are so many.

I'm sure you will be happy with it. The Deluxe is a basswood and it's highly regarded around here. My Cherry Burst might be basswood. Having some difficulty finding out exactly what it is: I've been told everything from Agathis, to Alder, to Basswood. The grain is really nice though, looking a lot like a maple grain.

Waiting to hear which Strat you are getting,

Duff

golfcartconspiracy
September 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Duff,

I've ordered the Pearl White Metallic Deluxe Strat... I've always wanted a white strat with a maple board... I think it must be a "Jimi" thing!

Spudman
September 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM
My Cherry Burst might be basswood. Having some difficulty finding out exactly what it is: I've been told everything from Agathis, to Alder, to Basswood. The grain is really nice though, looking a lot like a maple grain.

If we could see a picture we might be able to tell you what it is.:poke:

It's not basswood or agathis and Squier has said that their see through finish guitars are alder.

markb
September 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
If we could see a picture we might be able to tell you what it is.:poke:

It's not basswood or agathis and Squier has said that their see through finish guitars are alder.

And then again it could be veneered like my 90's "Ash" strat.

Spudman
September 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
And then again it could be veneered like my 90's "Ash" strat.

They don't do that on these.

ShortBuSX
September 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM
They don't do that on these.

Come on, really?
They do it on MIM's and MIA's ...but not on a Squier???

I bet you pull the pickguard and it looks like this:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2053.jpg

The only way Id believe that is if it showed matching.

[edit]hmmmm, kinda looks matched just above the trem.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/guitars015.jpg'
Which ever...she sure is purdy!:master:

Spudman
September 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
The back looks similar to the front. They didn't cheat on these.

ShortBuSX
September 4th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The back looks similar to the front. They didn't cheat on these.

Yeah so does mine...your pic looks really nice, but it is hard to tell, is it matched? Is that the seam just above the trem right there at that pickguard screw?
I dont consider a veneer or matching "cheating"...but I dont think a one piece body(if thats what youre suggesting) would be very realistic, or econmoical and from what I was told 1 piece alder bodies are unusual as the wood stock is too small.

Spudman
September 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Both of mine are 3 piece bodies. They did a nice job of matching grain. Not perfect but there isn't a stark contrast between pieces like there is with some of the Rondo SX stock clear finishes.

When I got the one pictured I was so impressed that I immediately got another one and like it even more. It just has a bit more mojo and a couple of scratches and bumps (lightly reliced:D ). It seems to resonate just a little more than the first one.

When they quit making these they'll become a sought after model just for the body alone in my opinion.

tot_Ou_tard
September 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I don't know if that helps or not but what do pounds matter?
Good question.