PDA

View Full Version : Beer Fest

just strum
September 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Anyone ever attend this. I would think Marnold and Shiner would have their own booths.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26444402/

Robert
September 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
We can start our own? Meet at the border. :D

thearabianmage
September 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hey, if y'all want some good beer, come to England. I live in a pub, we got bitter, lager, ale, cider, Guiness, spirits, liqueurs. All on tap (out of steel kegs.)

Drinks are on me :beer:

luvmyshiner
September 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Strum . . . I want to be buried there.:master:

tunghaichuan
September 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Anyone ever attend this. I would think Marnold and Shiner would have their own booths.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26444402/

I've lived near Denver for 15 years, but have never gone to the GABF. Sadly, I had to give up beer a few years ago for health reasons. I used to home brew, too. :cry:

tung

luvmyshiner
September 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Sadly, I had to give up beer a few years ago for health reasons. I used to home brew, too. :cry:

tung

Tung, that's the saddest thing I've ever read.:cry:

sumitomo
September 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
I've lived near Denver for 15 years, but have never gone to the GABF. Sadly, I had to give up beer a few years ago for health reasons. I used to home brew, too. :cry:

tung

Tung I know the feeling I used to love my mirror pond ale or becks until 5 yrs ago,we had to part ways but I have an 8 yr old and I need all the extra energy I can get these days.Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
September 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hey, if y'all want some good beer, come to England. I live in a pub, we got bitter, lager, ale, cider, Guiness, spirits, liqueurs. All on tap (out of steel kegs.)

I am so there mate :beer:

Jimi75
September 4th, 2008, 01:42 AM

Mage, I still get nightmares when thinking of my time in Cambridge UK and the beer we were served *lol*

Just kidding...there's some good beer all over the world for sure, but I had the best beer at the München Hofbräuhaus - I know this sounds klischee, but once you tried it you will love it :-)

marnold
September 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'd rather go to just about any of the other choices rather than the GABF. I've never been there, but from talking with those who have, it is WAY overcrowded and they give you about a thimble full of beer at each place. I also don't like how the megabrewers use their medals in the American Light Lager "style" as if that means anything significant other than "our bland, flavorless, off-yellow liquid is marginally better than your bland, flavorless, off-yellow liquid." I'd much rather go to the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. I hear that's just crazy good.

And Mage, if you've got a place nearby where they serve Real Ale, I'm SO there.

piebaldpython
September 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Jimi,
I spent 6 weeks in Saarbruecken Germany earlier this year and I can more than vouch for what JIMI says. BEER to die for. BTW, food and desserts to die for too. Oh my God, what we didn't eat. Of course, the lack of preservatives in the food means that your body breaks it down quickly and probably the reason why I didn't come back to Philly looking like a blimp. lol
Saarbruecken on right on the border with France and the cultural interchange is prevalent in the food and drink, much to my glee. ahhah

sunvalleylaw
September 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I am a beer afficianado as well, and I would likely prefer the fests Marnold mentions and also the smaller fests in the Pacific Northwest, than CO. Not that I would walk right by and not go in if I was in the neighborhood. ;)

I learned the Hofbräuhaus song in my high school German class in 9th grade, and have always wanted to attend THE Oktoberfest though. I would love it! I am always looking for a good Oktoberfest during that season, wherever I am. Would love to join you one day Jimi. :beer:

Also would love to visit 'Mage on the way across the pond. I love me a good Imperial Pint, though technically, it is the Irish beers I prefer, from what I know now. I would need to be properly "educated". :beer:

thearabianmage
September 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
München Hofbräuhaus . . .

They do serve some rubbish over here, it's got to be said. But there is some good stuff too :D

Isn't Hofbrauhaus the oldest brewery in Germany? That's pretty cool - I'm not a beer man myself (wine and Jack for me) but I'd love to try a half of that. :AOK:

:beer:

thearabianmage
September 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
though technically, it is the Irish beers I prefer, from what I know now. I would need to be properly "educated". :beer:

You can get a Master's in Alcohol here in the UK. Ireland is all about Guinness from what I know. Each region in the UK has their own traditional ales, beers, etc. which are all good in their own right, so anywhere you go you'll get some good drinkins. But a cold pint of Irish Guinness is said to be unequalled.

And I hear Germany has some stonkin' good beverages!

ShortBuSX
September 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
But a cold pint of Irish Guinness is said to be unequalled.

Yeah, like an ice cold glass of tobacco spittin's *barf*

New Castle is about as dark as I go.

warren0728
September 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM
But a cold pint of Irish Guinness is said to be unequalled.
i'm not a huge beer drinker...but i do like a nice pint (or two) of guinness! :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
September 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Ah man, and I have been so impressed with your opinions and insights of late, ShortBuSX! You really need to be enlightened in this area. LOL! :beer:

thearabianmage
September 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Newcastle Brown? I have to say that I have never tried it, but considering some of the bottles we have in stock have dust on them, I'll stick to Guinness :D

Each to their own :beer:

marnold
September 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Newcastle is a classic British brown ale, but since they insist on packaging it in clear bottles 99% of the ones I've had have been skunked to high heaven. I loves me a good Guinness, but it ought not be cold. Cool.

ShortBus, if you REALLY want your head to cave in, I'll have a good Imperial Stout with you sometime.

thearabianmage
September 5th, 2008, 06:43 AM
And Mage, if you've got a place nearby where they serve Real Ale, I'm SO there.

This is the Southwest. Real Ales, beers, ciders especially. You won't find any better cider than here in good 'ole Somerset - or Zummerzet as the locals call it.

I think my pub even has a few Real Ales. . .

And if you want a good bitter pint straight from the barrel, you got it!

Welcome anytime! :AOK: :dude: :beer:

thearabianmage
September 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I think my pub even has a few Real Ales. . .

I've just gotten this confirmed: we have two Real Ales on tap: London Pride and Butcombe.

We've also got Guinness, Stella Artois, Beck's Vier, Castlemein XXXX, Boddingtons, and Blackthorn Cider on tap.

Anyone fancy a pint?

warren0728
September 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I've just gotten this confirmed: we have two Real Ales on tap: London Pride and Butcombe.

We've also got Guinness, Stella Artois, Beck's Vier, Castlemein XXXX, Boddingtons, and Blackthorn Cider on tap.

Anyone fancy a pint?

guinness for me thanks (not familiar with the others).... :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
September 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Anyone fancy a pint?

Over here, they set up a platter, or at one tavern I know, a ski with places for several test size (4 oz.) glasses. I would love one of those loaded with the ales on tap and a selection of the rest. I will skip the Stella, not my mug of beer, but would love to have the others.

thearabianmage
September 6th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I will skip the Stella. . .

Wifebeater not your thing? I don't blame you - it's rank. :puke:

Jackie D's ftw!

Right now there's a Real Ale festival in a village a few miles down the road. All local Real Ales, of course!

thearabianmage
September 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
guinness for me thanks (not familiar with the others).... :beer:

ww

Never heard of Boddingtons? Let me give you a little tip:

Buy a can of Guinness and a can of Boddingtons and have a nice pint glass on the ready.

Pour in the Guinness first (obviously tilting the glass)

Then put Boddingtons on top. Slowly, carefully, so it doesn't flow into the Guinness, just on top.

You have what's called a 'Black and Tan'

They are meant to be really nice.

I've yet to try it, though :thwap:

Happy drinkins! :beer:

warren0728
September 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Buy a can of Guinness and a can of Boddingtons and have a nice pint glass on the ready.

Pour in the Guinness first (obviously tilting the glass)

Then put Boddingtons on top. Slowly, carefully, so it doesn't flow into the Guinness, just on top.

You have what's called a 'Black and Tan'

They are meant to be really nice.
seems like a lot of work! might give it a try....though my guess is after the first one i'll resort to just drinking some boddingtons first followed by the guinness! :beer:

ww

thearabianmage
September 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I was talking to my momma about them (she used to drink them a lot) and she gave me the proper way to pour it:

1. 1/2 can Boddingtons
2. Very carefully pour 1/2 can Guinness
4. You should have a glass with Tan on the bottom and Black on the top.
3. Enjoy

The thing about the B'n'T is that the two drinks mix as you drink it (Guinness just wants to rise, so it stays on top and the Boddingtons flows underneath it as you tip the glass in your mouth)

The mix is the good stuff - but it's not the same as if you pour the Guinness first, then Boddingtons, then it just mixes in the glass. Bad times.

:beer: have fun! :beer:

sunvalleylaw
September 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM
In the pubs, they pour the Guiness from the tap over the back of a spoon bent to fit over the edge of the pint, and then it settles down to sit on top of the Harps or Boddingtons, etc. At least in the Irish/English style pubs over here. I find it very enjoyable when I don't want a plain stout. I would rarely drink Harp or Boddingtons etc. alone, I would typically go for some IPA or something instead.

just strum
September 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Beer Fest at the Shiner house

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Beer.jpg

Childbride
September 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
:D :beer: :D :beer: :D

thearabianmage
September 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
In the pubs, they pour the Guiness from the tap over the back of a spoon bent to fit over the edge of the pint, and then it settles down to sit on top of the Harps or Boddingtons, etc. At least in the Irish/English style pubs over here.

That's one of the more common ways - apparently there's an art to pouring B'n'T

I would rarely drink Harp or Boddingtons etc. alone, I would typically go for some IPA or something instead.

So you do know a few of your beers! :pancake: :dude: :beer:

Sorry Strum - I'll stop hijacking your thread now :thwap:

:beer: :D :beer:

just strum
September 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry Strum - I'll stop hijacking your thread now :thwap:

:beer: :D :beer:

that's alright, I didn't think the thread would go anywhere.

Who would have known there are beer drinkers here?

thearabianmage
September 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Who would have known there are beer drinkers here?

Surprise, surprise :D

just strum
September 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I guess this a good place to post this

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/mf_beer.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I "attended" a Real Ale festival in England once.

...they drunk me under the table & then brought out the real ale.

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I was talking to my momma about them (she used to drink them a lot) and she gave me the proper way to pour it:

1. 1/2 can Boddingtons
2. Very carefully pour 1/2 can Guinness
4. You should have a glass with Tan on the bottom and Black on the top.
3. Enjoy

The thing about the B'n'T is that the two drinks mix as you drink it (Guinness just wants to rise, so it stays on top and the Boddingtons flows underneath it as you tip the glass in your mouth)

The mix is the good stuff - but it's not the same as if you pour the Guinness first, then Boddingtons, then it just mixes in the glass. Bad times.

:beer: have fun! :beer:
Boddingtons is like creamy honey goodness in a glass

Babies would like it. It's like cotton candy

& when you add Guinness to that......

warren0728
September 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Boddingtons is like creamy honey goodness in a glass

Babies would like it. It's like cotton candy

& when you add Guinness to that......
ok...guess i'm going beer shopping tomorrow.... :beer:

ww

thearabianmage
September 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
ok...guess i'm going beer shopping tomorrow.... :beer:

ww

Make sure you have a pint glass, too. Preferably with a guitar on it, but anything will do :D

marnold
September 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Make sure you have a pint glass, too.
An Imperial pint, at that.