PDA

View Full Version : Female guitarist's

M29
May 30th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Hello,

I was looking over some Jeff Beck vids on youtube and was intigued by Jennifer Batten. Also was curious about a string damper she uses.
Awesome player indeed!

Does this string damper dampen harmonics or something to make the tone more defined for leads or........Not sure what it actually does.

From what I could tell Batten played with M Jackson for some time. She sure fit in good with Beck.

Sorry if female guitar players have already been discussed, I cannot get the search function working for some reason.

M29

Katastrophe
May 30th, 2006, 03:29 PM
A string damper mutes open strings of a guitar when not in use. Jennifer Batten (who IS magically shredderiffic) does a lot of two handed tapping up and down the fretboard. So, say for instance Jennifer does a two handed tapping run on the high E. Slap the damper down, and if she happens to bump the B string while going up and down the neck it won't make a bone jarring note pop out and mess up a perfectly good solo. Fretted notes above the damper are unaffected.

Michael Angelo Batio (another shredder) has 'em on some of his guitars, too.

I used to take a sock and tie it around the first fret when practicing speed runs when I was younger as well for the same effect (although definitely not as cool looking).

There was a thread a while back that had some amazing girl guitar players on it here recently, but I don't think Batten was mentioned.:DR :R

Justaguyin_nc
May 30th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I must have missed the female thread to then... But, I guess about ten years ago or so Robert Plant had a (I was drunk at those times) Tall, long Blonde Haired pretty lady playing Page's part during concerts.. from what I remember she did it rather well and was much more pleasant to look at...This was during the time Page had the WhiteSnake singer with him.. I think Plant won out on this deal.. anyone know her name.. for the life of me I cannot remember...

Spudman
May 30th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Another thing the damper does is to prevent ghosting when she uses the guitar synth.

tremoloman
June 1st, 2006, 07:50 AM
Jennifer Batten is a really great player. Another female guitarist who impresses me is Lita Ford. I always figuerd she had the chops at The Go-Go's level, but I recently saw a concert from the mid-80s where she really tore it up. She's no JB, but still impressive.

Tone2TheBone
June 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM
Trem - she looks cuter with no makeup too. She's a late bloomer....she looks better now that she's older. >:) And yeah she can kick it on the axe.

Nelskie
June 1st, 2006, 06:57 PM
As long as we're talkin' ladies who know their way around a fretboard, let us not forget one of the absolute best . . . Bonnie Raitt! Not only can she totally bring it with some of the meanest slide guitar this side of Austin, TX, she has one of the most disctinctly beautiful and soulful female blues voices that I've ever heard. With (9) (yeah, nine) Grammy awards to her credit, and a long-standing reputation as a socially active, committed citizen, there is little doubt that her heart, and her music, are both in the right place. That, my friends, is where the real beauty lies!

But don't let me pull the wool over your eyes, gentlemen - Ms. Raitt is quite the looker herself. And a redhead to boot . . . ! Have mercy! ;)

Spudman
June 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM
This is the one for me. If she ever goes up for sale on Ebay....

A sweet little Swedish babe that kind of looks like Bonnie Rait a bit but can totally shred. Watch the 5mb home video. Cute!

http://lorilinstruth.com/music.php

SuperSwede
June 2nd, 2006, 04:24 AM
Thanks Spud! I had never heard of her before. Very talented guitarist indeed :)

Spudman
June 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Jennifer Batten is a really great player. Another female guitarist who impresses me is Lita Ford. I always figuerd she had the chops at The Go-Go's level, but I recently saw a concert from the mid-80s where she really tore it up. She's no JB, but still impressive.

I see and occasionally jam with a guy that used to be Jennifer's drummer until his alcohol consumption got the better of him and he left the group. Poor guy. Now he only makes $500 for 3 hours playing with bands in a nearby resort community.
So let that be a lesson to you kids........................whatever that means.:rolleyes:

tremoloman
June 2nd, 2006, 08:19 AM
Wow... thanks for that link! The chick can really rock! Her tone reminds me of Marty Friedman and Dave Mustaine from 'Hangar 18'. Great stuff!

Katastrophe
June 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Indeed, the woman can rock. I'm starting to think that Sweden is a nation of shredders, who are sent to different countries as Ambassadors of Fretboard Wisdom. If my band ever gets booked at a gig in that country, I'll politely decline, lest my already fragile guitar based ego be utterly distroyed by a ten year old in the audience requesting to sit in with the band.;)

Spudman
June 2nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Here ya go. Caution: have a towel or some device for dealing with saliva close at hand.
http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/metalqueens/index-.htm

I'm glad these gals weren't around when I was younger. I would have been embarrassed at my feeble attempts to kick a** when they can do the job quite well. My super studly guitarist ego surely would have talked me back into working at the car wash.

SuperSwede
June 2nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
I see and occasionally jam with a guy that used to be Jennifer's drummer until his alcohol consumption got the better of him and he left the group. Poor guy. Now he only makes $500 for 3 hours playing with bands in a nearby resort community.
So let that be a lesson to you kids........................whatever that means.:rolleyes:

Dont play with girls?

Justaguyin_nc
August 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Speaking of Ladies on a guitar... I just got the Muriel Anderson DVD " A Guitarscape Planet" ... I wanted to see a Harp Guitar played.. And she plays them well. http://www.murielanderson.com/ is worth the look see for acoustic guitar lovers..

Little of her BIO:

Widely respected as one of the country's foremost guitarists, Muriel Anderson is the first woman to have won the National Finger picking Guitar Championship. She is host and originator of the renowned
"Muriel Anderson's ALL STAR GUITAR NIGHT®" and founder of the Music for Life Alliance, to support music education in schools and grassroots programs nationwide. Muriel fell in love with the guitar at an early age and learned every style available to her, culminating in classical guitar study at DePaul University. She went on to study with classical virtuoso Christopher Parkening and with Nashville legend Chet Atkins. She has composed music since about age six, and has written music for guitar and strings as well as songs, solo compositions, choral and orchestral works.

warren0728
August 6th, 2006, 09:12 AM
i saw susan tedeschi at carnegie hall a few months ago...she plays some great guitar and i love her voice.

ww