PDA

View Full Version : Drums in Garageband

Robert
September 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Mac buddies - I learned today how to make my own drum tracks from scratch. Really cool! Nothing fancy though - I just figured out how to record first the bass drum, then the snare, then the hi-hat... and so on, all while the thing is just looping around. Then I go in and edit each note and quantize so it's all tight and sounds good. Adjusting individual volumes for each instrument is easy too.

It's also easy to switch the whole loop from, say a jazz drum kit to a pop drum kit. Fun and useful program, I do have say! :bravo: :beer:

sunvalleylaw
September 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Cool! I have to learn to do that for sure! I would love to create a good blues shuffle, a good basic rock loop, a loud and raucous grunge loop, etc.

Robert
September 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Learning to program basic drum grooves can help you play guitar better too - because you end up with a better understanding of the importance of timing.

ted s
September 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hey that's cool Robert !
Any thoughts about having a short demonstration video on Dolphinstreet ?

R_of_G
September 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Learning to program basic drum grooves can help you play guitar better too - because you end up with a better understanding of the importance of timing.

Cool Robert!

The last time I played around with GarageBand I was doing pretty much the same thing. Not only does it build up a better understanding of rhythm as you mentioned, I think it also really illustrates how complex drumming can be, and has really made me focus that much harder on what the drummers that I like are actually doing.

Robert
September 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hmm, good idea! I guess I would need some screen capturing software to capture what I'm doing in Garageband?

sunvalleylaw
September 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I am not sure how you capture the screen, but I would love to see that lesson. Even something just to get me started so I could then learn it as I worked it out. I think that would be tre' cool! (note almost unintentional drummer reference. ;) )

warren0728
September 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hmm, good idea! I guess I would need some screen capturing software to capture what I'm doing in Garageband?
static screen shots.... <apple> <shift> <f3> (at the same time)

ww

snoglobe
September 4th, 2008, 10:43 AM
static screen shots.... <apple> <shift> <f3> (at the same time)

ww

actually it's apple… shift… and 3… at the same time

warren0728
September 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM
actually it's apple… shift… and 3… at the same time
oops....your right....my bad.... :thwap:

ww

R_of_G
September 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM
There is also a free widget called Screenshot Plus which makes taking screenshots exceptionally easy. It allows you to capture portions of the screen if the whole screen is not what you need. It also saves all the screenshots as image files directly to your desktop for your use. I use it all the time for making instructional manuals and such at work.

Here's a link to the download...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/business/screenshotplus.html

Spudman
September 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Maybe this will help.
There are many in this series.
LppPU9beif8

Robert
September 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well guys, I'm taking about video capturing. I need to capture what I am doing in Garageband as video. CamStudio does this for Windows, but I am not sure about video capturing software for Mac. Perhaps this http://www.dplusplus.com.

jasongins
September 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Robert,

This costs money unfortunately, but it looks like it would do what you want:

SnapzProX (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/)

I've used the demo version of their screen capture demo for a few things and it worked nicely.

thearabianmage
September 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
If you guys are interested in creating drum loops, have you ever looked into Fruity Loops? They have a free demo (you can't save projects, unfortunately, but you can export them to use with other recording software)

Admittedly, it is a hip-hop/dance sort of program, but they also have real drum .wav's and you can program all your own beats in a pretty straight-forward way (remember, it's aimed at the contemporary hip-hop market. If they can use it, you definitely can) :D

I taught someone with no previous music software experience in half an hour how to make basic drum loops and within a day he had a full track recorded.

I wouldn't recommend their synths, though. . .

SuperSwede
September 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
+1 for SnapzproX.

Garageband is the best thing since sliced bread (with mayo and bacon and lettuce...mmmm I´m hungrrrry)

Actually there are quite a lot of really powerful features in GB, and you can add a lot of extra audio units (such as Guitar Rig, effects and even drum machines).