PDA

View Full Version : How To Take A Humbucker Apart

Bloozcat
September 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Ever wanted to change magnets or reverse the polarity of a humbucker pickup, but were a little reluctant to try it yourself?

Well, for those who've never had one apart, here's a good little tutorial on "how to."

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0069_humbkrcover.hzml?jrl=315403&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ts0069&clk=195805

Rocket
September 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
The problem is never taking things apart!

ShortBuSX
September 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Wow great info, I wish I had found that when I flipped the magnet on my Epi LP to get that Peter Green out of phase tone...but I did find this video very helpful and confidence inspiring.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BU74r2m8cJk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BU74r2m8cJk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mrmudcat
September 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Yep got my tip today in email form:beer:

marnold
September 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Wow great info, I wish I had found that when I flipped the magnet on my Epi LP to get that Peter Green out of phase tone...but I did find this video very helpful and confidence inspiring.
You do know that to put one pickup out of phase with the other that you just need to reverse the leads, right?

ShortBuSX
September 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
You do know that to put one pickup out of phase with the other that you just need to reverse the leads, right?

This is my second LP, the first was stolen before I was able to mod it. This ones a factory second I got for cheap, Id origionally planned a push/push pot for in and out of phase(I was gonna gut all the electronics of the first one)...so in replacing the stolen one I spent my mod money, so I flipped the magnet when I did the first string change. I didnt really have any fear flippin it, it had nut issues and was gonna see some shop time and I really wanted that out of phase tone...it was a learning experience(removing covers, wax potting etc.) and Im glad I did it, I think Id go the wiring route next time(or push/push).

Speaking of out of phase, magnet flipping and wiring, I researched the heck out of it before doing anything, it all seemed debateable, but I had read that flipping the magnet would sound slightly different than the wiring route...but then others said "out of phase is out of phase there is no difference". Ive got nothing to support either side, but I will say this, Id read Jimmy Page flipped the bridge magnet, as opposed the Peter Green flipping the neck magnet...and I gotta say I think mine(with the bridge flipped) sounds more subtle than the examples Ive hear where they flipped the neck.
A buddy of mine just did a pup swap and his are identical to mine(but un-altered), I think Im gonna get those and try it Peter Green style as well as the wired route and see which I prefer before spending $200 on new pickups, pots and wiring...just to be certain.
:whatever: