PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Show - cool equipm. - met Elvis's bodyguard

Jimi75
September 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Hello folks,
I went to a beautiful Elvis Show here in a theater. 2500 in the audience and they show will stay 8 weeks in our town. The show was built up chronologically (Elvis life) and after each period there was an anchorman who told something about this period in Elvis's life and he interviewed Sonny West who was Elvis's bodyguards No. 1 for 16 years.

The show was amazingly great and I met Sonny West during the showbreak - he's cool and very friendly guy. I didn't ask for an autograph or photo, I mean he was "only" the bodyguard, but it felt kinda cool meating someone who was close friend with THE KING :-)

The band was awesome. Has been a long time ago since I last witnessed such a tight and professional band. The guitar player had a fantastic sound and this is what I saw him playing:

Hughes & Kettner Statesman either 20 or 40 watt
Gibson L5
Ibanez Paula, Goldtop with P90s
Fender Telecaster, maple neck, yellow colour, white pickguard - looked exactly like the guitar in the Crossroads movie.

The combination of the Tele and the H&K amph made my heart beat faster. It was so good sounding...fortunately in the end of the month I have some days off (time to visit guitar shops) and the H&K is now the new no. 1 on my wishlist/gaslist.

As effects he used a standars crybaby, a volume pedal and a green overdrive which could have been the BAD MONKEY, didn't look like like a TS8 or TS9.

The sound was warm and very thick and this guy shot some brilliant lines.
He worked pretty much with the volume pedal, I saw him following song dynamics with it and pushing it for solos, then turning back - I think it showed the importance of having a volume pedal on your board, because this is the most underrated pedal.

To me it became clear once more how fruitful the songs were Elvis covered. All of his musical compagnions did a great job and creating such an orchestral sound is really an art.

You might like Elvis or not - which should not be the discussion here - but learning some of the songs shows how strong the songwriters were that composed such classics as "Suspisious Minds" or "If I can dream".

Greetz
Jimi75