PDA

View Full Version : Pedal boards revisited

Tone2TheBone
May 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Last year sometime I picked up a powered "pedal board" from a local shop at a good price but got disillusioned with the flimsiness of the travel bag it sits in that I haven't used it at all. The reason being that my wah pedal was too heavy for the velcro and kept coming off inside the bag anytime I moved it anywhere. The wah pedal which came loose also dislodged my other pedals so thats why I "bagged" the bag. I know Rob uses a suitcase which sounds like a good idea since it's got a rigid top on it to keep things down inside. How else are you guys carrying your pedals? Any homemade ones out there? Any modified store bought cases like the ones from Home Depot or Harbor Freight? If anything I can still use the powered pedal base and put that inside a rigid case filled with foam. I'd like to hear any ideas you guys have.

Spudman
May 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
This is my main pedal board. I have others in the process of being constructed. I have way too many pedals.

I've been building my own boards since 1978. I use 1/4 inch plywood and Gloss black enamel paint. On this board I removed at least 2 screws from each effect and replaced them with longer screws and inserted them from the back of the board to hold the effects on. The only exception is the flanger where I used some plumbers strap. The row with the delay and tuner has another piece of wood to raise those effects up 1/4 inch higher. It makes it easier to hit the buttons when they are above the first row of pedals. In the future I may try using zip ties to affix each pedal as it would make it easier to switch out pedals in the future. Otherwise this one is solid. I can turn it upside down and nothing moves. I anchor both send and return cables just by tucking them partially under the board. The weight of the board keeps them in place so there is no accidental unplugging.

Everything is powered by the Boss loop selector and I carry it in a Samsonite hard suitcase that has a divider panel. I carry cords and ac adapters etc. on the side opposite where I put the pedal board so that no accidents happen.
Going to a gig is simple. Pedalboard and accessory suitcase in one hand, combo amp in the other (they balance) and a Fender deluxe double guitar gig bag with 2 guitars on my back.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/guitars018.jpg

Tone2TheBone
May 31st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Heck yes....this is what I am talking about! A nice photo included and everything. Great idea about the long screws behind the board holding your effects. If I do that my wah won't budge at all. Thanks for your description and photo Spud!