PDA

View Full Version : Frisell covering Sam Cooke

R_of_G
September 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM
This is one Frisell recently added to his live shows. It is "A Change Is Gonna Come" written and originally recorded by the great Sam Cooke. Frisell is a master of phrasing and tone.

I wish I lived in NYC right now because he is playing a 2 week run at The Village Vanguard. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ERNVIch888

Katastrophe
September 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Great selection, R of G! Mr. Frisell is certainly a phrasing / tone master.

Thanks for expanding my horizons. Any other artists that I should listen to that aren't so readily obvious?

evenkeel
September 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks for posting. :bravo:

I don't know much about Frisell's work. May be in danger of becoming a fan. :D Moseyed about in Youtube and listened to a few other clips. "Master of War" stood out.

Love his understated style, great phrasing and terrific sound.

R_of_G
September 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for posting. :bravo:

I don't know much about Frisell's work. May be in danger of becoming a fan. :D Moseyed about in Youtube and listened to a few other clips. "Master of War" stood out.

Love his understated style, great phrasing and terrific sound.

Absolutely. He did a version of "Masters of War" on a download only album (Further East/Further West) that is brilliant. He's done some other Dylan covers as well ("Just Like a Woman" and "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall") that are equally masterful. He's a great interpreter of Dylan's work.

As far as your burgeoning fandom, his work runs a wide range of styles, but a couple of albums you may want to start with might be "Good Dog, Happy Man" and/or "East/West". The latter is a double live album that really shows off the variety of Bill's talents (and contains the afforementioned "Hard Rain" cover).

Great selection, R of G! Mr. Frisell is certainly a phrasing / tone master.

Thanks for expanding my horizons. Any other artists that I should listen to that aren't so readily obvious?

I will definitely give that some thought Kat. Some people that come to mind immediately are Tim Sparks and John Scofield.

tunghaichuan
September 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions R_of_G.

The only BF album I have is Nashville, which is great if you like country. But it is light years ahead of most radio "country."

I have heard this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000002H6V/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1220740315&sr=8-2

and I remember liking it.

I'll have to check out the YouTube video when I get off of work, I'm not supposed to watch them at work.

I need to get more Bill Frisell for my collection.

tung

Absolutely. He did a version of "Masters of War" on a download only album (Further East/Further West) that is brilliant. He's done some other Dylan covers as well ("Just Like a Woman" and "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall") that are equally masterful. He's a great interpreter of Dylan's work.

As far as your burgeoning fandom, his work runs a wide range of styles, but a couple of albums you may want to start with might be "Good Dog, Happy Man" and/or "East/West". The latter is a double live album that really shows off the variety of Bill's talents (and contains the afforementioned "Hard Rain" cover).

I will definitely give that some thought Kat. Some people that come to mind immediately are Tim Sparks and John Scofield.

R_of_G
September 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions R_of_G.

The only BF album I have is Nashville, which is great if you like country. But it is light years ahead of most radio "country."

I have heard this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000002H6V/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1220740315&sr=8-2

and I remember liking it.

I'll have to check out the YouTube video when I get off of work, I'm not supposed to watch them at work.

I need to get more Bill Frisell for my collection.

tung

"Nashville" is definitely an outstanding country album.
"Before We Were Born" is way up there on my list of favorites as well (especially as it features some nice guest guitar work from Arto Lindsay).

"Good Dog, Happy Man" has much of the country-ish feel but has much more electric work from Bill. It also features the great slide and steel playing of Greg Leisz and outstanding organ work from my favorite B-3 player, Wayne Horvitz.

"East/West" has a little bit of everything. It was culled from live performances with two different trios. One disc is mostly electric and the other is mostly acoustic. Each has a wide variety of styles at play.

Another interesting one to start with might be the recent "Floratone" which Bill did with the amazing Matt Chamberlain on drums.

tjcurtin1
September 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM
He's made so many recordings...! One I stumbled on that gets lots of listens is 'THe Intercontinentals' which features a great band of different musicians, including african, brazilian and arabic, and a beautiful melding/blending of those musics. Really beautiful.

Also of interest/note are the 2 discs (maybe more?) he did with Ginger Baker Trio (with Charlie Haden). Then there's the ECM jazz stuff - and much more - with people like Kenny Wheeler, Lee Konitz and Dave Holland. Amazing musician, great sound - worth a listen, or two or three!

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2008, 09:03 PM
O yeah! Frisell is the shnizzzhijt or whatever the youngun's is saying.

R_of_G
September 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM
He's made so many recordings...! One I stumbled on that gets lots of listens is 'THe Intercontinentals' which features a great band of different musicians, including african, brazilian and arabic, and a beautiful melding/blending of those musics. Really beautiful.

That is, yet another, fabulous Frisell album. Frisell has a way of utilizing other musicians that is unique and well-suited to his playing.

Also of interest/note are the 2 discs (maybe more?) he did with Ginger Baker Trio (with Charlie Haden).

You're correct, there were two GBT recordings. Both of them are quite good, and the interplay between Frisell and Haden is phenomenal.

Then there's the ECM jazz stuff - and much more - with people like Kenny Wheeler, Lee Konitz and Dave Holland. Amazing musician, great sound - worth a listen, or two or three!

That's the thing about Frisell, he changes things up from project to project so that whatever kind of music you are into, there is something in his work that will appeal to you. The album with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones is a masterpiece. If you like old-timey bluegrass music there's "The Willies" and "Ghost Town". If you like Aaron Copland's american classical music there's "Have a Little Faith". There are the scores he did for the films of Buster Keaton (obviously in retrospect as Frisell is not that old). There's the music on "Quartet" which was written as the soundtrack for the animated "Far Side" cartoon (Frisell's neighbor and close friend is cartoonist Gary Larson).

In addition to all that, there's so much more as well. There's his presence in John Zorn's "Naked City" band. Now that is an entirely different side of Frisell, and a role not very many guitarists could have filled. There's his work on Dave Douglas' "Strange Liberation". There's the album he and Wayne Horvitz did with former Santana drummer Michael Shrieve called "Two Doors".

So much Frisell, and all of it is so damn good.

Jimi75
September 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Frisell is a great musician. He has got that special laid back way of phrasing and following the chords. Take a close look at the bassist in this video, around 2:40 you can see him feel the music, slightly slapping with his thumb on the body of his bass - great backing band.