PDA

View Full Version : Meet Hanna

stingx
September 6th, 2008, 03:56 PM
http://stubble.org/assorted_images/hanna2.jpg

http://stubble.org/assorted_images/hanna.jpg

Unbelievable amount of rain dumping nonstop here. 6-8 inches of the wet stuff before 8pm tonight. I feel badly for those in known flood areas. I hope they have rafts.

M29
September 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Wow what an awesome view. That is one bunch of rain. What site do you get these images at? Is this Google Earth, NASA or something like that?

M29

Childbride
September 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
my mom lives in virginia. i know that as of last night she was battening down the hatches.

marnold
September 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
The remnants of Gustav unleashed its unholy fury on Northern Wisconsin this past week, dumping up to 1/2 inch of rain and causing $40.32 of improvements.

just strum
September 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM
We are sitting here in Ohio still bone dry. Well, that's not true because we did get a little rain last night and this morning, but it would be considered a mist by east coast standards. We could use about 2" to 3" of rain falling over a 3 or 4 day period.

Spudman
September 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The remnants of Gustav unleashed its unholy fury on Northern Wisconsin this past week, dumping up to 1/2 inch of rain and causing $40.32 of improvements.

LOL:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :D

That's pretty darn funny. Do you think you'll qualify for disaster relief?

By the way...what's rain?

piebaldpython
September 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
HANNA dumped most of her rain today West of Philly and then tonite veered over here and we got a pretty good wind-whipped rainstorm out of her. If the track had been about 75 miles East of what it was, the Jersey Shore would have had some SERIOUS beach erosion.

stingx
September 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Wow what an awesome view. That is one bunch of rain. What site do you get these images at? Is this Google Earth, NASA or something like that?

M29

Google Earth. Awesome app!

Childbride
September 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
mom said it ran through where she is quickly. dumped 6" of rain but no sustained winds/damage.

stingx
September 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Momma said knock you out :rotflmao:

stingx
September 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Wow! Back to beach weather. Beautiful, sunny skies and warm and humid again. Like nothing happened...

Bloozcat
September 8th, 2008, 06:24 AM
So far, we've been relatively fortunate...

We received 17 inches of rain in two days from TS Fay, and it hasn't completely run off yet, nor has the ground absorbed it either. Folks to the north of us received even more. The street in front of my house that was under 3-1/2 feet of water at the highest is still wet...because the water table is still just below the surface of the road and the water is still "sweating" through the surface. This from a "mere" tropical storm about three weeks ago.

All last week we watched Ike, not knowing what it was going to do. We were all pretty dismal about it as hurricanes that take Ike's track usually turn north before getting to us, or end up slamming into us...and a high pressure ridge wouldn't let it turn north. But, God has been looking out for us as Ike has taken an unprecedented WSW track through the eastern caribbean, and is now over Cuba with no projected threat to Florida in the forecast.

Still, I spent Saturday putting up my hurricane shutters just in case. If Ike had turned our way, it wouldn't have made landfall here until early Tuesday morning of this week (about 2 am). I would not have had the time to shutter the house after the weekend in that event as I would have been very busy at work until just before Ike hit, and I would have been back at work as soon as it was safe to drive right after the storm passed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those living along the gulf coast now from New Orleans to the central Texas coast. After Ike clears Cuba as a Cat 1 hurricane or possibly (hopefully) a TS, it's projected to strengthen and head NW or NNW.

Since they're already up, I think I'll leave the hurricane shutters for another couple of weeks...just in case...:o

stingx
September 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Seems to be an awfully busy season this year. Keep the hatches battened down :AOK:

piebaldpython
September 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
As HANNA was rolling thru Philly on Saturday around dinner time, she threw a spin-off tornado into Allentown (about 60 miles NW of Philly) and did some damage.

BLOOZCAT, I feel for ya buddy with all of your water. We were in New Smryna Beach (right on the beach actually) during FAY. We lucked out as we were in the EYE for 3 days while South of us got 25 inches.

evenkeel
September 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM
In Annapolis we had a bit of wind, some heavy rain but no huge issues. Downtown Annapolis floods with just the threat of rain, but even so it was a relatively minor event.

Seem like we got lucky, as areas to both the north and south got hit a lot harder.