PDA

View Full Version : 4th string, 4th fret single buzz...?

poodlesrule
September 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Just got used Ibanez Artcore (local dealer) , and did not spot a buzz at 4thstring, 4th fret position.

Only buzzes on that fret...
Is it just a case of fifth fret being slightly high?

Possible fix, besides adjusting action..?

Note that the string are old, I did not have a chance to change them yet.

ShortBuSX
September 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Id say the nut slot on that string is cut just a little low...if it was worse it be closer to the nut like the 2nd or 3rd fret, you can test my theory by placing a small piece of paper under the string in that slot...a dab of glue, let it harden, would be a good temporary fix that could last a lifetime.

Spudman
September 7th, 2008, 09:32 AM
ShortB is talking about super glue to make that fix. You can also add baking soda to color the glue and help it harden. Just a dot of glue on some paper, sprinkle in some powder (or ground bone dust), dab a toothpick into the mix and put a tiny bit into the nut slot. Let it harden for 6 hours at least then re-cut your string slot.

If you are only getting a dead spot on that fret and no buzzing the rest of the way up then it's possible you do have a high fret 5. This will make the guitar completely worthless so send it to me and I'll strip it for parts.;) :D

warren0728
September 7th, 2008, 09:40 AM
If you are only getting a dead spot on that fret and no buzzing the rest of the way up then it's possible you do have a high fret 5. This will make the guitar completely worthless so send it to me and I'll strip it for parts.
that's what i like about you spud....always thinking of others! :poke: :rotflmao:

ww

just strum
September 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM
If you are only getting a dead spot on that fret and no buzzing the rest of the way up then it's possible you do have a high fret 5. This will make the guitar completely worthless so send it to me and I'll strip it for parts.;) :D

Another fretter going out of his way to help. The unselfishness and sacrifice just never end here at thefret.

poodlesrule
September 7th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah...nice, Spud's house must be full of puppies rescued from the pound!

TS808
September 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Just got used Ibanez Artcore (local dealer) , and did not spot a buzz at 4thstring, 4th fret position.

Only buzzes on that fret...
Is it just a case of fifth fret being slightly high?

Possible fix, besides adjusting action..?

Note that the string are old, I did not have a chance to change them yet.
Have you had the guitar set up yet? There could be a lot of possible reasons why this is happening.

It could be the nut, and it could also be the saddle height for that string. On my strats, if things aren't set up well enough, I tend to notice the buzzing more on the 3rd and 4th fret area. I would first look at the saddle height.

If you have a ruler that measures in mm or 32nds" check the height of the D string above the 15th or 17th fret and compare it to the other strings..is it lower??

just strum
September 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah...nice, Spud's house must be full of puppies rescued from the pound!

That could explain some pictures he's posted.

poodlesrule
September 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Have you had the guitar set up yet?
If you have a ruler that measures in mm or 32nds" check the height of the D string above the 15th or 17th fret and compare it to the other strings..is it lower??

Not setup done, just bought form a local shop.

Ibanez general manual found online spec says;
Solid and semi-acoustic: treble side 1.5 mm. bass side 2 mm, at 14th fret.

I will check in a while, as I had precision mechanics rulers around.
Sadly, I am not in the mood to fuzz that much on a fresh purchase :( which has return privileges , as throwing a bit more $$ gets me a new model at my door. I had read good things about Ibanez frets being quite good and durable, generally...

just strum
September 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Just curious, what's the name of the local store? If it is what you say it is, I'm not sure why they let it out the door.

TS808
September 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Just curious, what's the name of the local store? If it is what you say it is, I'm not sure why they let it out the door.

Exactly! How is it that guitar shops even let certain guitars sell without setting them up first or checking them for problems. Alot of the "mom and pop" stores around here offer a free set up with the purchase of a guitar....geez, whatever happened to those days??

ShortBuSX
September 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
[edit: opps wrong thread:thwap:

poodlesrule
September 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM

"Muddy" went to see the tech, who jumped right into adjusting the truss rod, cranked it up at least four times (!) without progress.
At that point, I just stopped the process, and tech proposed a fret dressing, taking x days... And that was game over, as I lost trust in what was proposed.
Muddy was refunded. Long live Muddy... happy strumming...!

Edit1; Strings were pooped out -- you would think he could have tried to put a new set...

Edit 2; I would have liked to hear "we need to adjust the t rod... why don't we keep it overnight to allow the neck to settle"

ShortBuSX
September 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
...jumped right into adjusting the truss rod, cranked it up at least four times (!) without progress.

...would have liked to hear "we need to adjust the t rod... why don't we keep it overnight to allow the neck to settle"

Did he ever take the time to let the tension off of the strings(first)???

[edit]NM, I guess he was letting tension off the neck(relief):thwap:
But still...Im just sayin...4 turns does seem a bit much.