PDA

View Full Version : New pedal board in progress

Spudman
September 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I've been toying with the notion of building a new (different) pedal board for some time now (ever since I got the ZYS and Tonebone Hot British pedals). This weekend I took apart my house pedal set up and arranged things basically how I want them and decided on a 2 tier 15"x24" size. I'm still waiting for one pedal to show up but I can use what I have until it does.

I'll be using CoreX2 cable and ends along with heavy steel male/male 1/4" pedal plugs.

The front/lower from right to left will be: Digitech EX7 Voodoo Man ZYS - Boss Power Supply Loop Selector - Boss BD2 - Behringer Clean Boost - (tier 2)- Tonebone HB -Arion Tuner - Delay -power outlet strip. This board will be flexible enough to easily add the RC20XL Looper off to the side when ever I need it and it will sit off the board. The only pedal from my old board that might make it on here is the Boss DD5.

All pedals will be attached via chain link plates. This will make it much easier than my old method of screwing longer screws into the pedals from the back of the board to change pedals. I'm off to the store now to get some screws.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/board2008.jpg

ted s
September 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Sounds pretty cool SpudSteve, but won't those clamps get in the way ?

Spudman
September 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Sounds pretty cool SpudSteve, but won't those clamps get in the way ?

Keeps people and drinks away for my pedals.:D Plus during breaks it's easy to play pantie toss.:eek:

Robert
September 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Have you ever considered a Pedaltrain? Would make life easier for you.

Spudman
September 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I've seen some of those and tried one and didn't feel that it was very sturdy. It flexed.

Robert
September 8th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Flexed? Man, you've got to get on that bike more if you're that fat! :eek:

Spudman
September 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Besides...I'd have to get an additional case to carry the pedal train right? This one is custom made to the size I want to go in my case and I can also put my extra buttons on it which I can't do with the Pedal Train for the grand total of $10 which is mainly for a new can of black paint and some little screws.

hubberjub
September 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I just ordered a Pedaltrain Pro to replace my SKB PS-45. I'm always looking for a better pedal alternative. I look forward to seeing your finished product Spud.

Robert
September 8th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I love my Pedaltrain. It makes the set up very tidy and space-saving. Hubberub will love his!

Spud, you can get a soft case for the Pedaltrain too. I have the hard case and it's heavy but great for rough treatment.

Spudman
September 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I have a nice Samsonite case already for this one. I don't do soft cases for a $1,000 investment.

I got the board painted today and chain links on most of the pedals. I need a few longer screws for a couple of pedals.

I'll get some pics up in the morning.

Spudman
September 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Got it painted and the switches mounted.

2 switches are latching with 1/4" female jacks. I can use these to run other stuff off the board. Sometimes I'll use 1 switch to connect to the bypass on the PA system so that I can turn off the delay or reverb.

The black switch is a momentary to control the tap temp function on the Boss DD5.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/board2008001.jpg

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
That is all going to fit in your Samsonite suitcase? Looks cool. I like you you are configuring it to fit just what you like.

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Please tell us how much it weighs once it's ready and done.

Spudman
September 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Please tell us how much it weighs once it's ready and done.

Do you want that in grams or ounces? Do you also want to know it's displacement value and how many cubic feet of greenhouse gases were created in building it?:whatever: :)

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yes to all the questions above. :D

Spudman
September 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yes to all the questions above. :D

See running messes with your brain.:poke:

This is a preliminary layout. The analog delay is being replaced with either the DE7 or DD5. The blank spot next to it get the foot switch for controlling the Looper RC20XL.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/board2008002.jpg

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM
How are those metal thingies attached to the pedals?

(I want that Ibanez chorus... :drool: )

Spudman
September 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
How are those metal thingies attached to the pedals?

(I want that Ibanez chorus... :drool: )

That's an analog delay you twit. :thwap: See what I mean about running. Tone has the Chorus already.

The metal thingies are bicycle chain link plates.

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ok, I want the delay then. :D Can always use more than one. It is very "The Edge" of me. :rotflmao: P.S. can you do a pic of how you had to bend the links for the Behringer? You just used longer screws on the Digitech as I understand. It looks great! Oh, pic of it ready to be buttoned up in the samsonite would be cool too. Then a vid of the gorilla throwing it around the house. :thwap: :bravo:

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
How do you attach the bicycle chain link thingies to the pedal thingy?
(see what happens to bicycle geeks - they mix up their biking gear with their guitar gear! :D )

Sweet Ibanez Delay then! :drool: Those go for a lot of dough these days I believe.

Spudman
September 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
How do you attach the bicycle chain link thingies to the pedal thingy?
(see what happens to bicycle geeks - they mix up their biking gear with their guitar gear! :D )

Sweet Ibanez Delay then! :drool: Those go for a lot of dough these days I believe.

You need to remove the screws on the bottom of each pedal then put the screw through the link and then reattach the screws. In some cases you might need longer screws for this.

Spudman
September 9th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Pretty much done now. I have a few ideas for affixing the wall wart power supplies either to an outlet strip or directly to the board. My goal is to only have 1 power (AC) cord to hook up and the output to the amp and input cable from the guitar. Fast easy set ups are a good thing.

The A/B switch my need to be turned sideways. I've already tried it and it works either way.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/board2008003.jpg

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Looks sweet! I have some plywood around and have ready access to chain links. I may "borrow" that idea. Thanks for the pics and thread!

ShortBuSX
September 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Looks like your AB is the same as the Boss one used with the Loopstation, hmmmm.

BTW your pedal board project has got me thinkin bout making my own...but suddently guitar cases are looking like great boards to me...thanks for the inspiration!
(now all I need is the money!):thwap:

hubberjub
September 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Pretty much done now. I have a few ideas for affixing the wall wart power supplies either to an outlet strip or directly to the board. My goal is to only have 1 power (AC) cord to hook up and the output to the amp and input cable from the guitar. Fast easy set ups are a good thing.

Have you looked into a Pedalsnake (http://www.pedalsnake.com)? The board looks good. Those bike chains are a great idea. Velcro works fine for me until I leave my board in the car when it's hot out. Oh that can be a sticky mess.

Tone2TheBone
September 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM
And the wah goes first...very good. Are the red and black tipped switches true bypass then? ;)

duhvoodooman
September 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Looking very good, Spuds! 'Specially that yellow one.... ;) :AOK:

Spudman
September 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
And the wah goes first...very good. Are the red and black tipped switches true bypass then? ;)

No. They are gastric bypass. I found that trying to press all three made me sick to my stomach as they were so I changed them to gastric bypass. I had to solder in a few extra staples to make them work.:D

Looking very good, Spuds! 'Specially that yellow one.... ;) :AOK:

Yes it is a pretty good one. Loud as can be though. It's a monster.

Tone2TheBone
September 11th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Have you eliminated noise coming from the effect chain...and if so how are you accomplishing this? I know you've been gigging lately and I would expect that loud gigging amps make noise, especially with pedals. How are you addressing the hiss/noise issue?

Spudman
September 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Have you eliminated noise coming from the effect chain...and if so how are you accomplishing this? I know you've been gigging lately and I would expect that loud gigging amps make noise, especially with pedals. How are you addressing the hiss/noise issue?

So far it is pretty quiet. There really isn't much to make noise. The Tonebone HB and the ZYS are the only things that can but only while they are on. Everything else gets taken out by the Loop Selector.

I did do one thing and change the order of EX7>Hot British>ZYS to Hot British>EX7>ZYS. There must be a buffer thing going on because it sounded more brittle the first way and the new way is noticeably warmer.

I'll know more on Sunday when I gig but around the house at louder than comfortable levels it's quiet as far as hiss or hum go.

wingsdad
September 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Looks like your AB is the same as the Boss one used with the Loopstation, hmmmm. ...

If you mean the AB200 in the upper left, it's yet another of Behringer's reverse-engineered clones, that occasionally have gotten them on the wrong end of lawsuits.

I have one of these and it's amazingly versatile depending on how you hook it up. Anything from using it as Loop Selector on a pedalboard (works great with a Boss ME-50) to signal splitter apps, since you can have A&B on simultaneously, like sending your guitar signal to 2 amps (for either stereo, or just to switch between amps).

I picked mine up used for $15 because the guy who traded it in couldn't get it to work. He should have put the 9V battery in.