PDA

View Full Version : Strat suggestions?

thearabianmage
September 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hey y'all,

Again, thanks to all who commented their opinions on the Ash Strat, it's best to avoid a potential disaster. I've E-Mailed the dude and told him I won't carry on any further with the deal.

So now I need to find a new contender from Fender. ( :thwap: )

I don't know much about Strats, so I would really appreciate any advice, what-so-ever, on this topic :D

There are a few things I want in the guitar:

£400 preferred budget (will go higher, just depends) so around the $800-$900 mark.

It's got to have a maple neck (all of my guitars have rosewood/ebony - I want a Maple now!)

2-point synch trem - for better tremolo action (I am under the impression that 2-point trems (with knife edges) work better for heavy usage than vintage 6-point trems. If I am wrong: please, correct me)

What are preferred Strats by the various Fretters? Why? What would you recommend?

I don't have much experience with different radius necks, nor do I with various single-coil pups, so I'm fairly open to any suggestions as long as they are justified.

Thanks a lot!!

Joe

golfcartconspiracy
September 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
The American standard series might be a little pricey, but they are nice guitars with 2-point trems, and you can get them with maple necks...

Spudman
September 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
In that price range you can find some great barely used American Strats. That's what I'd look for. Mostly I see them around $700-$850 with case. Happy hunting and patience is key.

Robert
September 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I dig my Deluxe Players Strat - Mexican made with noiseless pickups. Loads of video examples on www.dolphinstreet.com :)

markb
September 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Used US std. Why people pay £1500 for inferior 70s strats when the better modern equivalent sells for around a monkey I don't know. You may have to settle for one with some "relicing" on that budget.

ZMAN
September 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I would be looking for one of the high end MIMs, with the 9.5 radius. The Deluxe player is a good bet but it has a 12 inch radius Robert has changed the neck on his to a 9.5. Then again if you mainly play Gibson style guitars the transition won't be that bad.
I am not sure what the used Fender MIA market is like in GBritain so maybe your budget is too low for that.
Are you planning on using the Trem alot? I have all mine screwed right down and don't use it. I find it much easier to use finger vibrato and bending instead.
A Jimi Vaughan or even a 60th Anniversary in Blizzard Pearl would also be a great guitar. If you have been following the latest Squiers you will know that the Classic Vibe 50s and 60s Strats, and the Squier Deluxes come highly recommended.
There are many options and the possibilites for customizing them are endless.
Also be aware that there are several types of Maple board. The gloss neck, Satin neck and be aware that some guitars come with a maple fretboard attached similar to a rosewood board on a maple neck. These will also have no Skunk stripe. The ones with the stripe in maple will just have the frets attached to the neck.
The stripe is used to imbed the truss rod and with an actuall fret board the rod is put in before the board is attached. I hope that is not too basic for you a lot of guys don't know that when they go looking for a Strat.

marnold
September 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
These aren't really what you asked for, but these are what you want.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=518871

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2008, 08:29 AM
These aren't really what you asked for, but these are what you want.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=518871

I like the styling of that black Ibanez. :dude: Very metal.

tung

ShortBuSX
September 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
A Jimi Vaughan or even a 60th Anniversary

Thats what Id do!

sunvalleylaw
September 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I was going to say JV or 60th myself. You can get a JV new, and can find unused, or nearly new 60ths on the internet. I love my 60th. I know Justa and StingX love their JV's, and the primary difference is color and neck shape. (60th + modern C)(JV = V shape, both are 9.5s). I love the satiny honey maple neck on mine. I think, but am not sure, that the JV bridge pickup may be slightly hotter than the 60th, but both come withe tex mex pups that are full and warm with good bright tones. I think there is a wiring mod on the JV too, as opposed to the 60th, which is wired in a standard way.

I would be looking for one of the high end MIMs, with the 9.5 radius. The Deluxe player is a good bet but it has a 12 inch radius Robert has changed the neck on his to a 9.5. Then again if you mainly play Gibson style guitars the transition won't be that bad.
I am not sure what the used Fender MIA market is like in GBritain so maybe your budget is too low for that.
Are you planning on using the Trem alot? I have all mine screwed right down and don't use it. I find it much easier to use finger vibrato and bending instead.
A Jimi Vaughan or even a 60th Anniversary in Blizzard Pearl would also be a great guitar. If you have been following the latest Squiers you will know that the Classic Vibe 50s and 60s Strats, and the Squier Deluxes come highly recommended.
There are many options and the possibilites for customizing them are endless.
Also be aware that there are several types of Maple board. The gloss neck, Satin neck and be aware that some guitars come with a maple fretboard attached similar to a rosewood board on a maple neck. These will also have no Skunk stripe. The ones with the stripe in maple will just have the frets attached to the neck.
The stripe is used to imbed the truss rod and with an actuall fret board the rod is put in before the board is attached. I hope that is not too basic for you a lot of guys don't know that when they go looking for a Strat.

Tibernius
September 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
There are a few things I want in the guitar:

£400 preferred budget (will go higher, just depends) so around the $800-$900 mark.

It's got to have a maple neck (all of my guitars have rosewood/ebony - I want a Maple now!)

2-point synch trem - for better tremolo action (I am under the impression that 2-point trems (with knife edges) work better for heavy usage than vintage 6-point trems. If I am wrong: please, correct me)

How about a partsocaster? For around £400 you could get the parts from, for example, Warmoth (http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/strat.cfm?fuseaction=strat_standard) and have complete control over the pickups, electronics, trem, etc.

thearabianmage
September 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for the suggestions and great advice!!

Sorry for the late reply, I've just moved to London. City life!

I'll have a little noodle-around when I get the chance and see what some of these ideas turn up!

Cheers!

SuperSwede
September 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
See if you can find a nice japanese strat, they are usually very good (especially the 50´s reissues)

stingx
September 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I seriously recommend getting a used AmStd. I bought my '97 Lone Star for $500 with original case and case candy. Love that guitar. I have seen plenty of nice used AmStds of various models on CL and Ebay going for cheap. Look around.

cherokee747
September 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM
+1 on the American Standard.Couldn't be happier with the tone and and the neck.It sounds good through all my amps,Bassman,Plexi,Valveking.

birv2
September 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
+1 on the Jimmie Vaughan. You didn't say what kind of music you play. The stock Tex-Mex pickups are pretty versatile though.

It's a great playing and sounding guitar for the money. All the guitarists I know who pick mine up have a hard time putting it down.:D

TS808
September 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
If you're set on the two-point trem, then the American Standard strat is the way to go. Either that, or a used G&L Legacy or G&L S-500.

I'd also recommend the Jimmie Vaughan strat...the quality is excellent and the price is unbeatable. Not everyone likes the "V" neck on the JV strat; it's a matter of personal preference.

Brian Krashpad
September 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Used US std. Why people pay £1500 for inferior 70s strats when the better modern equivalent sells for around a monkey I don't know. You may have to settle for one with some "relicing" on that budget.

A monkey?

I'm guessing this means a thousand quid?

My Limeyspeak sometimes ain't wot it should be. :D

markb
September 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
A monkey?

I'm guessing this means a thousand quid?

My Limeyspeak sometimes ain't wot it should be. :D

A monkey = £500. A ton = £100. Thus £50,000 = a ton of monkeys. Thanks to Steve Bell.

A pony = £25. If something is described as "a bit pony" it has a different meaning entirely ;)

Brian Krashpad
September 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
A monkey = £500. A ton = £100. Thus £50,000 = a ton of monkeys. Thanks to Steve Bell.

A pony = £25. If something is described as "a bit pony" it has a different meaning entirely ;)

Cor.

Am afraid to ask.

marnold
September 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
It is true America and Britain (and by extension the Commonwealth) are two nations divided by a common language.