PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Guitar Modification That Improved My Tone

Tim
June 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
This post and a huge thank you go out to Bloozcat who provided some behind the scene information, websites, and schematics to me via Private Messages (PM). Thanks Bloozcat for all the advice you gave both through the forum posts and PMs.

After reading Bloozcat’s posts on potentiometers and capacitors, I decided to change out the ones that came with my Squire Tele Custom Deluxe. The present volume and tone caps produced scratchy noise when adjusted during a note or chord strike. They were also vary lose internally when turned. I also noticed that I lost volume when turning down the neck pickup tone control. I suspected incorrect wiring.

About 10 days ago I order 6 pots and several caps with different values (.010, .015, .022, .047 mfd). These parts where ordered from the distributors suggested by Bloozcat.

On Sunday I performed the modifications on my Tele Custom Deluxe. I replaced the 4 each 500 ohm stock potentiometers with the new ones that I ordered. I ordered 6 as Bloozcat recommended. That was an excellent suggestion as 2 of the pots fell below the 350 ohms. These were well below the tolerance range. The other 4 pots read anywhere from 500 to 520 ohms.

I wired the guitar according to the schematic Bloozcat sent me. This was a modified Les Paul 50s schematic. The complete modification took me about 1 hour, including reassembling the guitar and installing new strings. The sound and tone from the guitar are now excellent. It is just what I was looking for. The pots are nice and tight with no static when adjusted while a chord is being played. The volume does not drop off when the neck pickup tone control is turned down.

I do have one problem with this new wiring schematic. As long as the guitar volume is set at 7 or below, the tone is great. When the guitar volume is turned to 8 or higher the tone goes to 100% treble. All bass seems to disappear. This may just be my imagination. I never was bale to obtain a clean warn tone at this volume before. Time and my ears should determine if this is a true problem.

I choose the modified LP 50s wiring schematic because it allows independent volume and tone control while in the middle position. I will experiment with changing the caps at the next string change to try different tones by frequency bleed off. I also want to add a common braided ground that will be routed and soldered on top of each pot for a complete grounding resolution.

When time allows I may perform this same modification on my Strat copy. As it has been mentioned several times before, the Fret Net has great members that are always willing to help other Freters with information, suggestions or lessons learn from past experiments. Some even go out of their way to actually meet, jam, or help purchase new equipment. We should be proud of our forum.