PDA

View Full Version : Local Luthier

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM
This guy is actually my boss's husband:

http://www.germanguitars.com/

Videos:

http://luthierssoundstage.com/FeaturedLuthier.htm?LuthierNbr=0003

He makes archtop jazz guitars. I really should check out his guitars and shop. From his web site, it looks like he does stellar work.

tung

warren0728
September 8th, 2008, 07:51 AM
those are some sweet looking guitars! :drool:

maybe he will give you the "bosses husband" discount! :AOK:

ww

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
those are some sweet looking guitars! :drool:

maybe he will give you the "bosses husband" discount! :AOK:

ww

I should ask, but I probably still wouldn't be able to afford one. :rotflmao:

tung

luvmyshiner
September 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Tung, those are some beautiful guitars! I'm a big fan of the archtop.

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Tung, those are some beautiful guitars! I'm a big fan of the archtop.

Yeah, that guy is really talented. I can appreciate the effort it takes to learn and play in that style of music. I just don't have the discipline to pull it off. I do like drooling over the gutiars, though.

In one of the videos Greg discussed finishing his guitars with high tech UV finishes. I think I may contact him to see how much it would cost to finish a strat body.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
September 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Very sweet indeed.

He builds fanned fret designs. Would make Charlie Hunter proud.

Has anyone played a guitar with fanned frets?

Cool Yosemite Sam facial hair as well

http://www.germanguitars.com/res/Greg_sm.jpg

He even has a mustachioed logo

http://www.germanguitars.com/res/gg.gif

Very Cool Beans.

tunghaichuan
September 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
My boss was working late tonight, I talked to her about her husband and I wrangled and invite to check out Greg's guitars, shop and works. I'm really stoked. :AOK:

I'll report back when I have had a chance to talk to Greg.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
September 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Extra Cool Beans!

Maybe he'll give you a sample.

Katastrophe
September 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Sweet, I'll bet that's going to be fun!

There's no way I'd ever be able to afford a guitar like the ones that he makes. Beautiful examples of fine craftsmanship.

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Update:

I just got back from a tour of Greg German's workshop. He was very gracious to allow me an hour of his time to tour his workshop. He has about 1,000 square feet in his basement.

All I can say is: awesome :master: :AOK:

Greg does incredible work, his guitars are really spectacular.

He started off by showing me his CNC machine. He uses it to carve many of the parts of his guitars. The heart of the machine is a 3-4HP Porter Cable router controlled by a computer.

One cool feature he offers is the fanned fretboard a la Novak The frets are not parallel, so the bass strings have a longer scale length than the treble strings. Very cool. He has Kent Armstrong custom wind pickups for his guitars as regular pickups will not work on a fanned fretboard.

He showed me his spray booth, which is in his garage. The finish is a thick, viscous clear poly urethane which he sprays on with HPLV(?) equipment and takes about 5 seconds to cure under a 1,000W UV bulb. He has to wear a face shield and protective coat to keep from getting a sunburn.

I'm thinking of having him spray a strat body for me.

Greg was a medical ilustrator, and so uses computer programs to render his guitars before he ever touches a piece of wood. He showed me the some of the files he uses.

If I could have afforded one, I would have bought a guitar on the spot.

Greg also has built tube amps, he played a very good sounding bassman clone. He has also built a couple of Matchless Hotbox copies.

tung

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I want a bassman clone, or a bassman. Also, I like the looks of that DB-7.

just strum
September 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I want a bassman clone, or a bassman. Also, I like the looks of that DB-7.

Hey, you are suppose to be in that "content" period.

Tung, that had to be a great hour of eduction.

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Tung, that had to be a great hour of eduction.

Yeah, I'm seriously jonsing for a Novak fanned fret instrument now. Those are very cool.

tung

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hey, you are suppose to be in that "content" period.

Oh, I am. But I can still look. :D

thearabianmage
September 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM
The finish is a thick, viscous clear poly urethane which he sprays on with HPLV(?) equipment

Just to clarify this - HPLV = High Pressure Low Volume - this refers to the way the paint leaves the spray-gun as it has to be very controlled for finer finishes.

Beautiful guitars, and funky fanned frets. Never tried them, but they seem to be becoming a tad less rare these days.

Nice one!

----edit----
And his Beard'n'Tache is legendary!!! :rotflmao:

tunghaichuan
September 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Just to clarify this - HPLV = High Pressure Low Volume - this refers to the way the paint leaves the spray-gun as it has to be very controlled for finer finishes.

Beautiful guitars, and funky fanned frets. Never tried them, but they seem to be becoming a tad less rare these days.

Thanks for the assist, 'Mage. I couldn't remember what it stood for or if I even had it right. :D

tung

Rocket
September 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Novax.

tunghaichuan
September 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Novax.

Yeah, the name of the system is Novax. The luthier who came up with it is named Ralph Novak. Kind of confusing. :confused:

http://www.novaxguitars.com/

tung

thearabianmage
September 27th, 2008, 06:34 AM
One thing I'm curious about with fanned frets is how it changes the feel and playability of chords, etc.

Saying that, those Novak guitars look. . . :drool: . . . Lush!

tunghaichuan
September 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
One thing I'm curious about with fanned frets is how it changes the feel and playability of chords, etc.

Saying that, those Novak guitars look. . . :drool: . . . Lush!

I didn't play one of those guitars, there was no way I was going to put a scratch on a $3K+ instrument. :eek:

From what I understand, initially it is an adjustment, but once you get used to it, it is just like playing any other guitar.

tung