PDA

View Full Version : Weekend

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Had a wild weekend by my standards.

Friday my kids went down to Universal Studios Orlando for a concert, with their church group. Since I would have to pick them up at 2:30 am, and Mrs. K was going to happy hour with some friends, I figured I might as well go out. After dropping off my daughter at the church I came home, had some dinner and a few beers, sat down in a chair, and fell asleep, figuring the missus would be back by 6 pm, maybe 8 at the latest.

Woke up, 11 pm! Called to make sure Mrs. K was OK (just out yakking with her fellow teachers still), threw on some clothes and drove downtown. Being the night before the UF-Miami game, it was pretty crazy. Parked 5 or 6 blocks from my destination and hoofed it to avoid getting screwed at the pay parking lot.

The aforementioned destination was a benefit for an old acquaintance of mine, Rob MacGregor, a local musician and studio owner, who’d got on the wrong end of a drunk driver’s car. I’ve gigged with him several times in the past (including one of his band Grain’s last shows being my annual birthday gig) and recorded a couple albums for my local piss-ant bands at his studios. He’s recorded all the Gainesville indie/punk “names” like Hot Water Music, Against Me, and Less Than Jake too.

I had a great time, here’s a pic of MacGregor playing harp with the band, called the Righteous Kind, a couple of whom are also buddies of mine, that’s his walker (ouch) in the foreground:

http://a241.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_0fc52149c77ec1b9046003f282fdc418.jpg

One of the first people I ran into their was my friend Marjorie from my neighborhood, out on a date, she introduces me as Brian “Krashpad” Kruger, haha, here’s those 2:

http://a412.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/104/l_50877658251802d5a533a4efab793763.jpg

Then I ran into my friend Rebekah, out on a "sort of first date" with another buddy of mine, Rob Harris. That was a little awkward, because she came up and started talking to me for quite awhile. But she's really yummy (if I were single...) so I was charming, let her sip my extra beer (it was packed so I'd bought 2 pints at once just to avoid the bar line!) and put in a good word for Harris. Here's that lot:

http://a814.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_5b490d955d58aef1a407e4f4bd169545.jpg

The band photog also managed to take perhaps the most unflattering pic of me ever taken, but what the hell:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9532/krashpadpint35706362effjx5.jpg

So anyhow, the band finishes up and I drive over to the church to wait on the kids. While I'm in the parking a lot all kinds of people are walking through, going between an apartment complex on one side and a house party on the other. This couple goes by, and the girl, a gorgeous blonde, comes running up and says "Wait, I have to tie something on you!"

I'm thinking "What does that even mean?" as she proceeeds to take 3 brown paper towel squares, still linked, off a roll under her arm, rolls them up and ties them around my head in a head band. She then says " Don't take this off, if you go downtown you'll see everyone is wearing these!" Well, I had just come from downtown, and had not seen one person impersonating a Micosukee tribesman with a paper towel headband. She then explained gleefully "It's for charity!"

And off they went. Such is Gainesville on the night before a big Gator football game.

My kids arrived shortly thereafter, and of course I still had the headband on, because, after all, it WAS for charity. They had a great laugh when I told them the story of how the headband came to be on me, and we finally rolled in to Casa Krashpad at 3 a.m.

On Saturday we slept in, then I got up and mowed the front lawn. Got cleaned up and took the kids back to church for parking lot detail. The church sells spaces in their lot every home game and makes a lot of money for the youth group. Was there from 3:30 in the afternoon to 8:30, then went home and watched the game on TV.

Sunday I stayed home and did a little writing for work, watched some NFL games, and recuperated.

You?

Brian Krashpad
September 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Too long, did not read?

It has pretty pictures (well the one of me is horrendous, but the others are OK).

No one else had any weekend adventures? :confused:

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Looks like you had a good time Brian. Nice headband!

I was hurting my body running a marathon in Regina, Saskatchewan. How's that for an adventure! Body will now ache for days... very rewarding.

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
We were around the house, kids soccer, a bike ride, a family barbecue. Fun and very nice, but nothing to post pics about. Looks like you had a great time. Nights like that are few and far between for me anymore, but they are sure fun when they happen.

Brian Krashpad
September 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Looks like you had a good time Brian. Nice headband!

I was hurting my body running a marathon in Regina, Saskatchewan. How's that for an adventure! Body will now ache for days... very rewarding.

I bet it is. Too much adventure for me. If I attempted running at this point I'd be toast.

Good onya though.

warren0728
September 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
No one else had any weekend adventures? :confused:
kids were at their moms....i cleaned the house saturday and watched the gator game....that's about the extent of it.... :thwap:

ww

tunghaichuan
September 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I envy you, I had to work all weekend. :D Although Mrs. Tung was at her sister's house most of the weekend baby sitting our 14-year-old nephew. It was a nice break for me. :rotflmao:

tung

t_ross33
September 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Saturday was Day 1 of my University of Saskatchwan Songwriting 1 (http://www.uscad.usask.ca/songwriting) course. Trying to kick-start my long dormant lyric writing :D Should be pretty cool. I'm really jazzed about working with some very prominent local artists. Collaborating with my classmates will be cool - 1 fellow is wanting to write lyrics to traditional Irish bagpipe tunes he plays with his daughter (who plays violin as I understand it). Very alternative. Most of the class is in the "Americana" "Singer-songwriter" "Country-ish" head space - so that should be cool. I'll be sure to post something if we get anything worthwhile on tape ;)

Sunday = sleepy-day. Mowed my front lawn. Looked at my back yard, sighed and put the lawn mower away :rotflmao:

Oh, Sunday I watched the Saskatchewan Roughriders come from a 20 pt deficit in the 3rd quarter to win by a field goal at 00:00 in the 4th! GO GREEN! :AOK: Puts the Roughies at a league-leading 8-2 :beer:

player
September 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
In Tiny town here we have Civil War days coming up Fri - Sun,12,13,14 re-enactments and all.going to have a good time dancing with the Ladies during the ''military ball'' - just one of many events.will pay for it later but not as much as Robert is me thinks

tunghaichuan
September 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Saturday was Day 1 of my University of Saskatchwan Songwriting 1 (http://www.uscad.usask.ca/songwriting) course. Trying to kick-start my long dormant lyric writing :D Should be pretty cool. I'm really jazzed about working with some very prominent local artists. Collaborating with my classmates will be cool - 1 fellow is wanting to write lyrics to traditional Irish bagpipe tunes he plays with his daughter (who plays violin as I understand it). Very alternative. Most of the class is in the "Americana" "Singer-songwriter" "Country-ish" head space - so that should be cool. I'll be sure to post something if we get anything worthwhile on tape ;)

That sounds very cool. Keep us posted.

tung

Algonquin
September 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
No one else had any weekend adventures? :confused:I had the good fortune to be invited on a canoe trip in Northern Ontario with the goal of hiking to the top of Ontario's highest Peak, Ishpatina Ridge. Only accessible by canoe and portage, it was a pretty decent weekend. Mind you it was cold and rainy, but I enjoyed it none the less... :)

Brian Krashpad
September 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM

tung

+1!

Also, player should get pics of the Civl War thingie.

sunvalleylaw
September 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM

tung

DITTO!! I am very interested in how it goes. :)

street music
September 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Krash, looks like you had a great time. I just layed around and rested from a big night at our local High School football game , while my wife was recouping from a minor operation. Then Sunday I played a little golf and then played guitar that night. Since then it's been a crazy time of dealing with managers of the acts that I have playing at our festival next month.

Childbride
September 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
our wild weekend comes shortly.

Ike is going to wreak havoc.

we're projected to be in the thick of it day 2.

and i worry for not only the by-proxy, but kinfolk along the coast.

just strum
September 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM
our wild weekend comes shortly.

Ike is going to wreak havoc.

we're projected to be in the thick of it day 2.

and i worry for not only the by-proxy, but kinfolk along the coast.

I hope you and the entire family will be safe. Pack up the guitars and send them up to Ohio - Oh, you and Shiner are welcome too.

CB - side note - I will get the card out this weekend.

Childbride
September 10th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I hope you and the entire family will be safe. Pack up the guitars and send them up to Ohio - Oh, you and Shiner are welcome too.

CB - side note - I will get the card out this weekend.

[grin] family reunion with the EA20? :D :beer:

i think the projection is winds of up to 50 mph and [edit: potential for] flooding when it gets to us. and we need to be here in case byproxy or others need camp, but i thank you. :)

and as to the other, i owe you one, friend. ;)

just strum
September 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Opps, sorry Brian, I never commented on your thread. The whole weekend sounds like a great time. I hope your friend heals completely.

I'm going to take an opportunity for a public service announcement. We all joke about drinking (even me and I don't drink), but getting behind the wheel after drinking is just plain stupid. I've never knew anyone that was impacted by the incident of being hit by a drunk driver, but I have talked to a number people that have or had family members that met an untimely end.

Please, for your own sake and those that share the road - don't drink and drive.

A message from the newly established Fretters Against Drunk Drivers FADD

luvmyshiner
September 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I don't drink and drive (anymore), but I have been known to drink and drool on occasion.:drool:

piebaldpython
September 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
IKE will just be a little tune-up for when the really big storm hits Dallas; when the IGGLES nation descends upon and invades Dallas. Yes, the Lunatic Green Fringe is ready to take NO prisoners on Monday nite. Cheesesteaks, pretzels and Tastykakes for anyone wearing IGGLES GREEN. ahaaahhahha

Seriously though; this storm (Ike) has BAD potential. Any chance that the NFL will up and cancel or move the game?????

Rocket
September 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Any chance that the NFL will up and cancel or move the game?????
Ughhh!... or hopefully just skip it?
(freakin' jocks!) (http://www.nfltalk.com/)

just strum
September 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Ughhh!... or hopefully just skip it?
(freakin' jocks!) (http://www.nfltalk.com/)

Is that one of the other forums you belong to?

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Very interesting story Brian...how come no photos of the headband?

Brian Krashpad
September 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Very interesting story Brian...how come no photos of the headband?

No camera. The other pics from the club were taken by the band's photographer. Contrary to popular belief, I don't bring a camera with me at all times. :D I save that for special occasions like gigs or when Warren visits.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_35488f8bb12e47d.jpg

Actually, at this point I don't remember whether that was taken on my camera or Warren's.

Brian Krashpad
September 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'll give a mid-weekend report on this weekend. Friday night I went with my son Jack (11) on a Boy Scout "camp-in" (camping indoors). First we brought our gear over to the church's youth lodge we'd be staying in. Then we caravaned over to the Univ. of Florida astronomy dep't and got a talk on astronomy and got to look through their telescopes. Looked at the moon, and Jupiter and it's moons, and a couple stars.

Then back to the lodge where we set up our sleeping bags and such and the kids played (pool, foosball, ping-pong, air hockey, etc.) for an hour or so before lights out.

Got up at 6:30. The Scouts went and cooked a pancake breakfast for the church's mens group, while I went home, showered, and switched cars with my wife. I went and got an oil change and went back to the lodge for lunch. Then we all caravaned over to Santa Fe College (big local community college) and went to their planetarium, which has a $500,000 star projector. The projector is cool, it can show the sky in any given location for thousands of years in the past, present or future.

http://www.sfcc.edu/planetarium/img/kikabuildingmug.jpg

http://www.sfcc.edu/planetarium/img/kikainterior.jpg

http://www.sfcc.edu/planetarium/img/kikacontrols.jpg

Then we all drove back to the lodge and broke camp and went home. I got a batch of leftover pancakes and put them in the freezer bags for my vegetarian daughter to eat for breakfast this week.

The afternoon was filled with house cleanup for the kids and I, as well as some laundry. After my wife got home from work (she teaches a college course on every other Saturday) I went grocery shopping (and got some flowers for Mrs. Krashpad), and on my return after dinner I made up some spicy baked beans for a church potluck today. I found vegetarian beans so there'll be at least one dish my daughter can eat.

In the evening I played a board/card game called "Heroscape" with my son while my daughter went to a dance with her Morman girl friend (note two words, not that there's anything wrong with that). Then we watched some TV and went to bed.

The beans're in the oven now and starting to smell good. I just made the "recipe" up on the spot: beans, dried onion flakes, cajun spice mix, some Crystal red pepper sauce (like Tabasco only not as strong), hickory BBQ sauce, honey, brown sugar. My wife was rolling her eyes the whole time but had to admit they tasted great.

Next up: church, then potluck going-away lunch for church youth leader. Quite possibly the first time a vegetarian dish has been served at a Lutheran potluck, haha!

Probably some more house/yard work this afternoon.

Let's hear some more reports! How's it hangin' peeps?

t_ross33
September 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Saturday morning, Jay Semko (jaysemko.co (http://www.jaysemko.com)m; thenorthernpikes (http://www.thepikes.com)) dropped in to my Songwriting 1 class to talk to us about the biz, collaborating etc. Very cool, down-to-earth kinda guy and very supportive.

Saturday afternoon the class was divided into groups of 3. We were all given a working title and had about 2 hours to craft a song. I think my group did pretty well given the time constraint. No screaming solos, but a pretty good first-kick at it. Not a masterpiece, but it has a pretty good foundatoin of a decent song.

Lookit me, I got my first co-write :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I rode my bike up a mountain, mowed the lawn, had fish and chips with clams at the restaurant in the bar that Bruce Willis owns and taught my kids a little about pool, practiced with a friend for playing at a block party with some of the fellas, watched a lot of TaeKwonDo (Kid 1), Soccer (kids 1 and 2), and generally enjoyed a nice, clear, warm fall weekend.'

Trev, that is awesome about the class. It sounds very fun!