PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic guitar radii

tot_Ou_tard
September 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM
The radius of the fretboard of an electric guitar ranges from about 7" to 16" & people exclaim about how flat the fretboard is if it is over 12".

What is the typical radius of an acoustic guitar fretboard.

Poking around a bit it seems like 12" - 20", but I have no experience with acoustics.

spt
September 8th, 2008, 10:09 PM
12" (Gibson) and 16" (Martin) are the 2 most common, but there are a few others, including compound radii.

tot_Ou_tard
September 9th, 2008, 04:46 AM
12" (Gibson) and 16" (Martin) are the 2 most common, but there are a few others, including compound radii.
How about Taylor?

Why is it that acoustic guitars have flatter fret boards?

Not that I would mind, both of my guitars (electrics) have a 12" radius & they suit me fine.

spt
September 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
How about Taylor? Couldn't tell you, I'm not familiar with Taylors.

Why is it that acoustic guitars have flatter fret boards? So much of it is tradition... Classical guitars have totally flat fretboards, 2" wide, presumably for easier fingering. Doesn't work for my smaller hands (and less than perfect technique) though...

Not that I would mind, both of my guitars (electrics) have a 12" radius & they suit me fine. A lot of Fenders do have a 12" radius but a lot have quite extreme radii. Presumably for comfort and ease of play (read fast).
I do find radiused fretboards more comfortable than flat ones and it makes for a smaller neck ("round" vs "square") but I have no trouble adjusting to the "flatter" 16" radius.
The most comfortable I've found is the compound radii fretboards. Why doesn't every make do it? Beats me... It would just require a different jig (if hand made) or a different programming (if CNC made).