PDA

View Full Version : I quit my band this past weekend...

Katastrophe
September 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Work and family obligations made it nearly impossible to get enough practice time in on my own.

So, not wanting to be the reason why the band sucked, I quit. I met with the band members and explained what was going on. Each said that they understood my position and respected that I told them face to face that I was out. I was told by the singer and the soundguy that I was more than welcome to sit in at gigs, and that they would consider taking me back when things settled down a bit, if they hadn't filled my spot.

Also, my role kept changing. I was brought in as a guitar player, then bass player, back to guitar, then guitar and bass, then lead guitar, then acoustic rhythm. It got a bit confusing trying to learn all these different parts, especially when some of the parts kept changing.

So, now I'm bandless.

Spudman
September 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Want to move where there isn't any bugs or humidity? :)

That's a brave and noble thing you did. It's going to be hard to get your fix I know but just think of it as temporary, a detour for a bit if you will. Just don't dwell on what you're missing but instead focus on what else requires your attention. It will all work out.

Did I mention the fishing is excellent? ;)

aeolian
September 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I don't play out in a band, but I get together with some people most weekends to play a couple three hours for fun. Even then I find that it is hard to find enough time during the week to learn a couple of new songs to try on the weekend. And some weekends it can feel like a chore to show up and play.

We still have fun though, we all get to pick songs we like to learn. A few of my choices over the last few weeks are: "Mother Mary" by Foxboro Hot Tubs (Green Day), "Hey Bulldog" by the Beatles, "Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes" by Elvis Costello.

Katastrophe
September 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Want to move where there isn't any bugs or humidity? :)

Did I mention the fishing is excellent? ;)

Dude, that would be awesome! From the pics you've sent, the country up there is beautiful. Unfortunately, we're stuck here in barbeque land for a little while longer.

Care to move down where there's plenty of good barbeque and 100 degree summers that last 6 months long?;)

Aeolian, it's cool that you have a group to play with for fun. It's a great outlet, isn't it?

Spudman
September 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Care to move down where there's plenty of good barbeque and 100 degree summers that last 6 months long?;)

Hmmmm...how's the skiing?

Jimi75
September 10th, 2008, 02:55 AM
My respect to you, because you left before your personal situation caused trouble for the band. Very fair - I was in the same boat some weeks ago, if you remember.

I think you should see it as a positive experience that you filled so many positions in the band and I am sure it left some impact on you as a musician.

Always put your family 1st.

I am quite convinced that one day in the near future the circumstances will allow you to join a band again and maybe that is your old band again!

Jimi

warren0728
September 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Always put your family 1st.
+1000....i'm not in a band but everything i do is based on what's best for my kids (that's why i quit my real job before my son was born and started my own business working out of my house so i could also be a stay-at-home dad!) 12 years later my business is still going and i'm still at home waiting for my kids on the days they come to my house!

my point is that karma is a powerful thing and if you make decisions based on what's best for your family (and not just what would make you the happiest) you will repaid many times over....

good job....

ww

Katastrophe
September 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hmmmm...how's the skiing?

On the water, it's great. Plenty of lakes close by (within an hour).:D

The other stuff people ski on, we tend to keep in our freezer for keepin' sweet tea cold, or for icing down the cooler full of col' beers.:beer:

Warren, Jimi, thanks for the encouragement. I felt like it was the right thing to do, and at the right time, since the band didn't have any gigs lined up yet.