PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have a loose tremolo arm?

Duff
September 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I just did it again.

Set up one of my guitars that someone must have jacked up. Bridge plate was about a quarter inch above the top of the guitar on a strat. I think someone wanted to do some serious whammying.

After setting it up it plays great. Sx SST 62 CAR, beautiful tone with stock pups and a neck you don't hardly ever see.

Anyway, the trem arm was flopping all around and really loose when you used it; could feel it taking up the slack before doing its thing on every push or pull.

So I used a trick I discovered. I put an adequate amount of pipe thread teflon tape around the threads on the trem arm and turned it into the bolt hole. Nice firm fit, not too tight, no flopping and you can put it anywhere you want 360 degrees and it will stay there.

Teflon dental floss works almost as good.

I hope this helps some people with floppy trem arms with the screw in type mounting method. You'll like it.

Duff

markb
September 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Works for me too. You need to replace it periodically but once it's bedded into the threads it'll do the trick for months. The proper way to do it is to have a spring under the arm that takes up the slack in threads but they always fall out and get lost.

Spudman
September 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
The proper way to do it is to have a spring under the arm that takes up the slack in threads but they always fall out and get lost.

Good tip. Thank you very much.:AOK:

markb
September 9th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Good tip. Thank you very much.:AOK:

Do read the second half of the sentence :) . The plumber's tape tends to hang around a lot longer.