PDA

View Full Version : September 9 Birthdays - Two Music Legends

R_of_G
September 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
1927 - Elvin Jones

Among the greatest drummers in the history of music. Elvin played with Bird, Miles, Mingus, and is probably most known for his work with Coltrane. Later in his life he also did an album with Bill Frisell and Dave Holland. Elvin's influence on drummers is incredible, and transcends the jazz scene as rock drummers like Ginger Baker and Mitch Mitchell cite Elvin as a major influence on their styles.

1941 - Otis Redding

For my money, there has never been and likely never will be a male singer with the force of Otis Redding. The man absolutely embodied soul. His work is among the most enduring in American music.

evenkeel
September 9th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Otis is definately one of the really great American voices. The local Public Broadcasting Station just ran a special on Redding. As usual with PBS, very well done.

R_of_G
September 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM
His set at the Monterey Pop Festival was probably the single greatest male vocal performance in the history of music. I know that's only my opinion, but I'm right. :)

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I dig Elvin Jones - saw him live 15 years ago and that was cool.

R_of_G
September 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm quite jealous that you got to see Elvin!

The mere fact that he was able to keep time for Coltrane should be illustrative of just how great a drummer Elvin really was.