PDA

View Full Version : GFS Tremolo On An SX SST

Bloozcat
September 9th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Just a heads up to any out there who own an SX SST Strat clone. If you're considering the new GFS "Made in Mexico" Import Strat upgrade trem w/steel block, be advised that it's not a drop in fit for the SX. The trem rout will have to be opened up to accomodate the GFS replacement trem unit. About 3/16" of wood needs to be removed from one end of the rout, preferably with a router, to get the proper fit with a uniform 1/8" or so clearance around the trem block. I did mine this past Saturday. It wasn't a big deal to do, but some may not have the tools to do it or may not want to mess with a mod like this. If you have a Dremel tool and some half round and rat tail files, you could probably accomplish this as well.

About the tremolo itself: The quality is decent, but not on the same level as the Wilkinson unit w/steel block that GFS also offers. If one is considering one of these "Made in Mexico" replacement tremolos in an American size unit, spend the extra $5.00 and get the Wilkinson. It's more than worth it IMHO. Given that the SX guitar that I put the new trem in only cost me $110.00, the new GFS replacement trem is perfectly suitable. The stamped saddles are a bit thin, but still functional...and that's the only real deficiency I find in the trem. Although I did not try to match the steel trem block in the new GFS unit to the bridge plate on the stock SX trem, it did appear that they match up. I wasn't expecting this, after hearing some complaints about the GFS steel replacement block not matching up with the holes on some import trem bridge plates.

I think this trem would make a good upgrade to a Mexican Strat, and if the bridge plate/trem arm hole match, the steel block alone from GFS would be even better...as in cheaper.

One last thing: To the eye, the trem block on the stock SX tremolo looks very similar to the small, thin, cast block on the MIM Strats. I was surprised that rather than being cast (pot) metal like the MIM, the trem block in the SX is actually STEEL...albeit a smaller, lower mass steel block. I pulled the trem block off the stock bridge plate and suspended it from a thin piece of wire for the "ping" test. When I tapped the block with a ball pean hammer, I did get a "ping" tone, although it did not ring as loudly or resonantly as with a full size, full mass, steel block. I don't know the content of the steel alloy that is in the SX block...it could have some lead in it which would dampen the "ping" some. Still, the fact that the stock trem block is actually steel, might give some second thoughts about replacing it. The SX SST is, after all, only a $110.00 guitar (and I've even seen some selling for as low as $89.95 recently).

Anyway, info that I hope some can use...:)

Duff
September 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Great info for anyone like me that was thinking of getting one of these.

I have the stock SST trem bridge and loosened up a little all the middle four screws and left the outer two not too snug and I think this allows the trem to work smoother, more like a two point one.

I put stainless steel GFS bridge saddles on my SST and Wilkinson locking tuners and that really changed the sound. I mean really improved it to my ear. I want to switch out the nut to a better one and that would probably also help but the groove the nut is in could easily be damaged, as in the top thin part chipping off during the removal process and that would not look good, so for now I'm going with what I have until I visit a really good guitar tech in Harrisburg that I'm thinking of going to for some other warranty work very shortly.

Great review and important info.

Duffy