PDA

View Full Version : iPhone is here, initial impressions

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
My old Palm Treo was failing slowly, and it was time to re-boot. Because my office is all Mac based, the iPhone seemed a good fit with the ability to access my calendar, contacts, email, etc. instantly and have it be seamless with the apps I use on my computer.

I got it yesterday, and have to say I really like it so far. Negatives first, I will want a different set of headphones. The sound quality for listening to music is greats, but the mic for my voice on phone calls is not as clear as I would like. Easy fix. More concerning, you can't get phone insurance. I do active things. I immediately bought a hard case to protect it. I still will be very careful. I hope some insurance comes out sometime soon. The glass is beautiful, but smudgy right away as you would expect. I am going to get the semi-gloss plastic protector and install it. I saw it on someone else's phone and it looks good, and smudges less. The smudges are not a big deal if you clean your screen a lot, but I don't want to have to do that.

Good: The email, web, camera, phone, etc. seems to work very well so far. The music works great, and it was really fun to watch my favorite Neil Young "Old Man" vid on my iPhone. I also have all of Robert's lessons on the phone as podcasts.

Cool surprises: This thing is an excellent tool for a guitarist/musician. You can download "apps" for low or no cost to act as a tuner, a metronome, a beat per minute trainer, a pitch trainer, and there are others available. (things like a theory app, drum kits and machines, light shows, concert info, tons of stuff). I got a $9.99 Guitar tool kit that combines a decent tuner using the phone mic, along with a fret board that you can use to play guitar tones, a good metronome, and a chord app with 1600 or more chords. Also, you can get the Pandora app and listen to pandora wherever you have coverage, as part of the unlimited web access fee. AND I got "Cowbell Plus" which turns your phone into a Cowbell, plus about 30 other hand held rhythm instruments. You always need more cowbell. :AOK:

I will give more impressions as I go. I can say I like it so far!

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Cool! I am on yer iPhone! Can never get enough of me can ye? :D

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
LOL! Of course not. Plus now I can practice with your lessons out in my living room or even out on the deck, and not be stuck in front of a whole computer, or even deal with a lap top. It is a nice tool.

Robert
September 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm all over you like a rash, it sounds like! :D Where ever you go with the iPhone, Robert follows.... hey that sounds like a Chuck Norris quote!

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ooo. That sounds a little creepy now. Keep your runner sweat to yourself. LOL!

warren0728
September 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM
i've been really thinking about an iphone....i wish the gps had turn by turn spoken directions....all the blackberrys and such do....i also wish it had a service plan like sprints...my buddy pays $99/month for unlimited everything including minutes, web, text messaging, gps and more....att&t (my current provider) would cost around $140/month (i think) for the same type of plan for the iphone....

ww

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I have not tried the GPS, and have in fact never used GPS. A new firmware update is coming out in a day or so, so we will see what that addresses. Shucks, 700 min is plenty for me and my wife to share. We never go beyond that, and the data is unlimited, so practically for me, it works out the same as your buddy's plan for me. It is $60/month for the minutes and $30/month for the unlimited data and visual voicemail (texts are extra, but I don't text). Minutes roll over, and mobile to mobile free and all that.
i've been really thinking about an iphone....i wish the gps had turn by turn spoken directions....all the blackberrys and such do....i also wish it had a service plan like sprints...my buddy pays $99/month for unlimited everything including minutes, web, text messaging, gps and more....att&t (my current provider) would cost around $140/month (i think) for the same type of plan for the iphone....

ww

warren0728
September 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I have not tried the GPS, and have in fact never used GPS. A new firmware update is coming out in a day or so, so we will see what that addresses. Shucks, 700 min is plenty for me and my wife to share. We never go beyond that, and the data is unlimited, so practically for me, it works out the same as your buddy's plan for me. It is $60/month for the minutes and $30/month for the unlimited data and visual voicemail (texts are extra, but I don't text). Minutes roll over, and mobile to mobile free and all that.
i always wanted a gps (would come in handy when seeing clients i haven't been to before) and i my cell phone is also my business phone so i use over 1000 minutes a month....i don't do much texting but have on occasion have had clients text me when a call wasn't possible....so my friends plan would definitely be cheaper for me.... having said that i've been with at&t/cingular for over 10 years and am happy with their service and coverage....hence my delima (plus i too have an all mac workspace and like the iphone as a product) :thwap: :whatever:

ww

ted s
September 9th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Sounds cool Steve, I gotta get the cowbell app for my touch.
There is a slick free app called remote that will let you control your Mac iTunes with the iPhone/touch via wifi.

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM
If I find a work around on the GPS, I will let you know. The other known weakness, lack of voice activation, has a shareware solution as I understand. I may look into both and report back what I find. On balance, the package is way better for me than what I had for my small biz needs. (I use my cell when I have to, if I am at court, etc., but clients are asked to call my land line unless it is a true emergency, and to break that rule at their peril. I check my work voicemail very regularly and return calls promptly). Plus, the fun stuff is awesome!

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Sounds cool Steve, I gotta get the cowbell app for my touch.
There is a slick free app called remote that will let you control your Mac iTunes with the iPhone/touch via wifi.

I will check out that app. There are two cowbell apps. One for .99 that is just cowbell I think, and the one for 1.99 that has all sorts of stuff. I paid the extra buck for the jingle bells alone! Ok, I like the woodblock and egg shakers too. ;) :D

EDIT: Have to say also, this Pandora app is really cool. Just about does away with any need for XM, as long as you can get data coverage.

warren0728
September 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM
If I find a work around on the GPS, I will let you know. The other known weakness, lack of voice activation, has a shareware solution as I understand.
i heard that a 3rd party solution may be in the works for the gps....i will probably get one....i do like them and all my friends that have them love them....

ww