PDA

View Full Version : Weber Mini-Mass

tunghaichuan
September 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Got one of these today from an add on Craigslist:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/m_mass-front.jpg

The one I got appears to be an older version. It has a sloped front and lacks the three-position treble switch, which it could really use. At high attenuation settings it sounds like a blanket thrown over the amp. Still, I only paid $30 for it, so I think I got a good deal. My Valve Junior sounds pretty good through it.

tung

ShortBuSX
September 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I wanna get one for my Deville, but I gotta get one of the 100 watt versions...Id also like the speaker motor type as opposed to the resistor type, but if I found a great deal on one like you did then I probably wouldnt be so picky.

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I wanna get one for my Deville, but I gotta get one of the 100 watt versions...Id also like the speaker motor type as opposed to the resistor type, but if I found a great deal on one like you did then I probably wouldnt be so picky.

I opened min up the other day. It is the speaker motor type, so I lucked out. The rheostat is kinda flakey but I emailed Weber to see if I could buy a replacement and he said he's just send me one. That is customer service. :AOK:

Mine is the 25 watt version. Weber recommends double the power rating if you intend to crank the amp, so you'd need the 100w version to work with your Deville as you correctly surmised.

tung

ShortBuSX
September 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Mine is the 25 watt version. Weber recommends double the power rating if you intend to crank the amp, so you'd need the 100w version to work with your Deville as you correctly surmised.

Yeah, I been studyin it beforehand...that price tags the only thing keeping me away at this point, but Im leaning more towards a used Blues Jr, unless if I can find a deal on a Weber. But at $170 for the Mass Lite and $225 for the Mass...a Blues Jr is sounding like a wiser investment.

duhvoodooman
September 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I've been looking for a Micro-MASS on eBay for awhile, but they always end up going for $60 or more including shipping, and you can get a new one for $70. I want the little 15W size to use on my Blues Jr & Valve Jr. Guess I'll buy a new one sooner or later.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Dude what happened with the Maxon deal man! ;)

Good score. I love Craigslist.

tunghaichuan
September 13th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Dude what happened with the Maxon deal man! ;)

I decided to pass. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on a distortion pedal. I guess I'm just a cheap b*stard at heart :rotflmao:

I'm saving my pennies for a Gretsch Electromatic 5222 amp now.

Good score. I love Craigslist.

When it works, it works well. I hate it when I take the time to email the poster and never hear back. I'd call, but most don't leave phone numbers :whatever:

tung

tunghaichuan
September 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Update:

I got the new rheostat from Ted Weber the other day. I emailed him and asked to buy a new one as the one in my Mini Mass was getting flakey.

He sent me a 50w, 50 ohm version to replace the 25w, 25 ohm unit that came stock. The new one is physically larger than the old one, but it just barely fits.

I got the new one installed, and it works and sounds great. There is still the issue of muted treble response with the volume all the way down on the Mass, but I found a fix that Ted, himself, posted on another forum.

Kudos to Ted and WeberVST, great customer service. And on a unit that he made no money on.

As luck would have it, I also found a reverse-engineered schematic for the Mass unit so I may have to try to build one from scratch.

tung