PDA

View Full Version : Ike

Childbride
September 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM
i just talked to kinfolk.

i was worried, b/c where gram lives, there's a highway that frontages the ranch. with a creek. and it floods. i was worried that my 89 year old gram would be cut off from food, water, etc.

they are expecting up to 25 inches of rain there. kin promised to get her early and camp her, but i have kin on the coast, too... including the by-proxy.

to all of our texas fretters, may you and yours be safe.

k

warren0728
September 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
take care you texas fretters....stay safe....sending mojo your direction!

ww

Katastrophe
September 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Headed down to Corpus Christi tomorrow to evacuate an old family friend. We're far enough inland that we'll get some rain and heavy storms, but should be okay.

Be safe, fellow Fretters.

piebaldpython
September 10th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hey Texans,
Time to batten down the hatches and get all of y'all inland and safe. I'll be praying for you. I feel for y'all as I myself just weathered TS FAY while in Florida and then HANNA this past weekend up in Philly. I have had just about enough of these STORMS

CB; best of luck to GRAM and the by-proxy.

sumitomo
September 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
25 inches WOW!!! I will pray hard for ya'll down there hang on and be safe.Sumi:D

street music
September 11th, 2008, 04:43 AM
All of you in Texas , GET OUT NOW! You best move up our way, you can leave BUSH there if you wish.

evenkeel
September 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM
CB, Shiner and all the Texas fretters. Stay safe. Ike looks big and ugly. Heading out of town seems a pretty safe bet.

Hope all ends up well.

Bloozcat
September 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm hoping and praying for the best for Texas...

We sweated it out for a week, but were spared. So we know the anxiety...

warren0728
September 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
good luck....we got our local city newsletter today and it says we got 19.5 inches of rain with fay....hope you guys get a lot less than that!

ww

just strum
September 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hang tight and let us know when all has subsided.

Did Shiner buy enough beer to hold him over?

Seriously, you two take care.

luvmyshiner
September 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Did Shiner buy enough beer to hold him over?

Do you have to ask?:beer:

street music
September 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Shiner, you be sure that you pack CB carefully we don't want anything to happen to her and make sure that the kids know that you want beer to rationed out very carefully , and those guitars can still be shipped out to us tomorrow morning.

luvmyshiner
September 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Heh, heh, you got it Street. CB's by-proxy:D lives in Houston, but he's flying out tomorrow morning to surprise his mother for her 50th birthday, so he should be ok. We're expecting a lot of rain, which we really need, but hopefully nothing really damaging. I guess it means I'll just have to spend the weekend inside playing guitar.:thwap: I hate it when that happens.:bravo:

sumitomo
September 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Sounds like the cow will be a pissin' on the flat rock.Sumi:D

Childbride
September 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
there's a co-worker of mine that amped me... he used to live in houston and was giving me ike reports twice a day.

i am normally relatively calm in a crisis.

i go back to my normal.

by-proxy is only worried about property damage and his flight back in.

ike hasn't gotten past a 2.

gram is safe.

should just be a wind/rainfest, and we need the rain.

my big happy is that texas didn't do what they did when rita hit in 05 and scream 'ALL Y'ALL LEAVE NOW' and lock up the highways with people stuck like sitting ducks. they've only evacuated the counties with the lowest sea levels.

although the by-proxy commented tonight he had to spend 45 min trying to google a gas station that still had gas... :thwap:

PAPPY
September 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
As of right now if Ike stays even close to the predicted course I doubt that we will even get a rain here. I sure hope I'm wrong as we are certainly dry here, so dry in fact that I was running my beagles the other day and a mesquite tree started chasing my male beagle. The ranchers here are really hurting for stock water so maybe we will get some running water.

luvmyshiner
September 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
. . . so dry in fact that I was running my beagles the other day and a mesquite tree started chasing my male beagle.

:rotflmao: I'd pay money to see that Pappy.:D

Childbride
September 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
you want some more mesquite trees? i have a fortune in that. geezly crow, if they made guitars out of mesquite, i'd be rich. :D

Pappy, i don't think it's going to be nearly as bad if goes easterly like they say. but i hope that we get some rain, and that people at large don't get hit badly.

we all need some rain.

luvmyshiner
September 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hmmm, I don't know what Mesquite is like as a tone wood, but I do know it can make some beautiful pieces to work with. It might be interesting to see how a guit would turn out.

Childbride
September 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM
:D honey, i can hook you up. :rotflmao:

Katastrophe
September 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Took care of evacuating my friend (actually, my Godfather) yesterday. Unfortunately, Ike's move north put him making landfall near Houston. My Mom and Stepdad, along with other step-relatives, live there.

I'm worried. Mom, Stepdad, Stepbrother, his significant other and their newborn baby are going to weather the storm at their house. They are on the high side of the neighborhood, but the other side floods easily and they might not be able to get out if necessary. Then there is the little matter of the 20 or so pine trees that surround their house that are very tall, and old.

Bloozcat
September 12th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Anyone anywhere near the coastal areas around Galveston Bay should have already evacuated. Due to the size of this storm it's going to be a prolonged wind event with an even worse storm surge.

The NHC is predicting a storm surge as high as a 25' in Galveston Bay. Ike is currently a cat 2 hurricane with 105 mph winds, but some strengthening is still expected before landfall (possibly to a cat 3 - 115-125 mph). And speaking of landfall, hurricane winds currently extend out 120 miles from the center. That means that winds of at least 74 mph can be expected 120 miles from the center. Tropical storm force winds extend out 275 miles from the center, meaning that winds of at least 39 mph can be expected out to 275 miles. As of 6:00 am Central Time this morning, tide levels are already running 3' above normal at Galveston and North Getty. Tide levels will continue to rise as the hurricane approaches. I don't know what the tides are, but I can only hope that low tide is around 2:00 am Central time when the hurricane is predicted to hit.

This is one scary hurricane that's headed straight for a very vulnerable area. I surely hope all our Texas friends and their families have gotten out of Dodge already and are safely to higher ground. Thoughts and prayers will continue...it's in God's hands now...

street music
September 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I wish all the residents in Texas a safe weekend from this storm, we need the remaining rain sent up the way of Kentucky. Hang on down there and play lots of guitar Shiner and CB.

PAPPY
September 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Shiner, take a look at this

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/archives/fylde_magician.shtml

I saw and heard a fiddle a while back made out of mesquite and was impressed.

luvmyshiner
September 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Man, that is pretty Pappy.

Childbride
September 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Kat... i send prayers for your family's safety. i have some friends hunkerin' down in houston, and they've promised to keep me posted about their well-being.

prayers to all our texas brethren on the coast, for that matter. i just saw a model of what a 20' surge would do to galveston [cover it darned near completely] and if the surge goes up the bayous and channels in houston, things are going to be pretty bad.

this is us for the weekend:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Waco&state=TX&site=FWD&textField1=31.569&textField2=-97.1832&e=0

but i'm not worried about us [edit: at all]. i'm worried for south of us.

bigoldron
September 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I hope everyone's safe, especially our Fretters from that area. The bad thing so far is that everyone around here is panicking about the possibility of a gas shortage, so they're buying it up. Several merchants have already run out and the price jumped from 3.649 to almost $5/gallon. This is (to me) absolutely ridiculous, because many places are not being affected at this time.

luvmyshiner
September 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I gotta agree with ya Ron. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've got gas right now that I would be more than happy to sell for less then $1.00 a gallon. . . If anyone could figure out how to use it.:thwap:

street music
September 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hopefully you Texans have survived the worst of it, and Shiner I'm sure that there is the knowledge is out there to use your gas to power something besides a guitar, it just wouldn't make them any money. I advise you to let CB get a copyright on it for future times.

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Watching on TV and reading the web. I'm sure at least some of you are without power. I'm not sure if any of you headed further west to stay out of the path, but 600 miles wide makes it difficult to do.

Thoughts are with all of you today and the days to come.

Childbride
September 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
the storm lit my back up so i got up early. raining here, and windy, but we'll be totally fine.

my heart bleeds for galveston and houston.

Katastrophe
September 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Mine too. Mom and the rest are going through the worst part of the storm right now, but are otherwise okay. Trees and limbs down in the neighborhood, but the house is holding up well.

Been watching a news feed from Houston this morning. Wow. Lots of damage. I hope everyone gets out safely.

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I was watching Houston local TV for awhile and it looks a an "A" kicker.

street music
September 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
They have already called for help with putting power lines back up and clearing the right of ways. I sure wish everyone well, if I was still working as a lineman I'm sure that I would be on the way by now but since I'm not the younger guys will have to go help.Good luck to all, Glad to hear from those who made it through safely.

PAPPY
September 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
All we got was a light wind and a few clouds and a little cooler temps but no rain at all. I talked with my nephew early this morning who lives on the west side of Houston and he said it wasn't to bad on his side of town. Rain and heavy winds but not much damage at all, in fact his wife and kids slept through the whole thing. He stayed awake and kept an eye on things,as if that made a difference, and said he was surprised that the winds weren't as bad as he thought it would be and not much stuff flying through the air on his side of town. It didn't do any good but I eat his tail out for the second time for deciding to stick it out through the whole thing. Danged boy put a few more grey hairs on my head. From what I have seen on the news so far it wasn't near as bad as I expected it would be.Thank God.

luvmyshiner
September 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
We've had light rain all day and some winds, but nothing near the 35-45 mph winds they predicted. Nonetheless, I was prepared for a weekend of massive guitar playing and large amounts of alcohol, and damn it, hurricane or no hurricane I won't be deterred from my mission.:beer: :beer:

piebaldpython
September 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm happy to hear that most of our Texas Fretters are doing OK through the storm
Hey Shiner; make sure that you save some beer, you know, so you can drown your sorrows on Monday nite. :D While IKE might not have done much butt-kicking in Dallas, the IGGLES most certainly WILL!!! Game on Shiner!!! :beer: lolol

luvmyshiner
September 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Pie, Pie, Pie . . . dude, seriously, put the crack pipe down and slowly . . . walk . . . away.:D

Won't need the beer on Monday. I'll get a buzz off of the serious butt whuppin' my boy Romo's gonna bring.:beer:

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Pie, Pie, Pie . . . dude, seriously, put the crack pipe down and slowly . . . walk . . . away.:D

Won't need the beer on Monday. I'll get a buzz off of the serious butt whuppin' my boy Romo's gonna bring.:beer:

I think Pie is happy you guys didn't lose electricity. The thought of you missing the game would probably crush him.

I'm just glad after all this you, Texans can think about something besides the weather. Personally I don't like either team, so I'm hoping for some sort of football death match.

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Boy, that Ike really picks up ground speed in the next 24 hours. It hit Texas at a snails pace (under 18mph) and will hit ground speed of 32mph in the next 12 hours, 47mph ground speed in 24 hours and be in our area late tomorrow night or Monday morning. So if it's moving at 47mph and it's wind speed of 35mph, does that mean we get hit with a 82 mph storm? (using the windchill theory crap the weather people use). I'm surprised at how quickly it will get up here.

Katastrophe
September 14th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Well, got the final update from Mom yesterday... Everyone's okay. A big pine tree fell across roof of the house, but it held, damaging only a small part above the front door.

Other people in the neighborhood weren't so lucky. Lots of damage and some trees in the middle of some folks' houses.

As for us, just some light wind and clouds, but no rain at all.

And Shiner, I'm sure Romo will put a whuppin' on the (what the hell is an "Iggle," piebaldpython?:poke: :confused: ) Eagles, as long as his girlfriend doesn't distract him...:thwap:

evenkeel
September 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Hey CB, Shiner and all the Texas fretters. Glad you came thru Ike ok. Back to serious trash talking with pie so things must be good. :D

piebaldpython
September 14th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Y'all are darn right I'm happy that Shiner didn't lose electricity. I want him to SUFFER!! :D I'm doubly glad that the game in on Monday nite and not Sunday nite because he has to SOBER up for court on Monday. I don't want Shiner TOO drunk to care while watching the game. :D

Hey Strum, I understand your not liking the Cowboys; but not the IGGLES??? Come on dude, we (Philly and Cleveland) are both known as working class towns with a rabid (:rotflmao: ) fan base; how can YOU not love us? ahahha
BTW, went out to dinner last nite and got to see Ohio State get destroyed. Oh, the carnage!!!

KAT......an IGGLE is the written version of the way many Philly-ites pronounce EAGLES. :rotflmao: As to the Romo Jinx; a/k/a Jessica Simpson...no need to worry about her as you can believe that IGGLES-nation fans would make sure she is AT the game. When she's there, he sucks and that's all that matters. :rotflmao:

BTW, the Vegas oddsmakers have made the Cowboys 7 pt favorites!!

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 06:50 AM
BTW, went out to dinner last nite and got to see Ohio State get destroyed. Oh, the carnage!!!

I watched about 3 minutes of the 3rd qtr and then switched over to PBS for something a little more exciting and watched "The Migration of the Earth Worm".

bigoldron
September 14th, 2008, 07:10 AM
We didn't get hit by Ike - directly, that is. But, oh boy did we feel it at the pump. It started Thursday afternoon when gas jumped 11 cents in a couple of hours - went from 3.649 to 3.759. I had gone out of town for a couple of hours and came back and the gas stations had people lined up to get gas.

When I asked what was going on, I was told that there would be major shortages because of Ike. Everyone was in a panic. In fact, most everybody ran out and were getting trucks in late Thursday and all day Friday.

Many stations were limiting people to 10 gallons and finally gas jumped up OVER $5 per gallon. By yesterday, it had calmed a little and most of the stations around here dropped down to $4.50 a gallon, but some were still up around $5.

I think this is totally STUPID. From what I'm hearing, there's plenty of fuel on the way (already in the pipeline before Ike got here) plus we get a lot of our gas from Jacksonville, Florida. So, a panic to buy was IMO unnecessary.

What really ticks me off is that the d$%# gas distributors and gas stations are using this as an excuse to jack the prices up to a ridiculous level. Oil was $100/barrel on Friday, the lowest it's been in a while. Which is also ridiculous, because for no reason other than these d%#@ speculators have artificially jacked oil prices up over the last couple of years just so that they can make a buck off of us.

Makes you want to buy a mule... :reallymad:

street music
September 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Ron, have you checked the price of horse and mule feed? No really it sucks that BUSH and his buddies are sittin up there getting richer by the minute while the working class is growing poorer by the minute. Our governor put a lock on fuel in Kentucky on Friday evening when all the crazy stuff started most are at $4.00 a gallon for regular. I bet with all the beer shortage that Shiner caused it will go up to $30.00 a case. What about the Straving pigmys
in New Guniea Shiner? Did you send them ay beer?

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Ike is making its arrival in Ohio and I'm surprised it still has some punch.

Weather Advisory: South winds will increase during the mid and late afternoon as the remnants of Ike move toward the lower Great Lakes. Wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph are possible by late afternoon or evening. The strongest winds will likely occur during showers and thunderstorms this evening.

We've had a few days of a slow steady rain, so the ground is soft. I imagine some trees could possibly come down, just hope the bigger ones on the west side of the house stay where they are at. It's 2:30 here and the trees are already starting to sway. Looking out back at the state park, it looks like the trees are dancing.

Certainly nothing like you people got in Texas, but I'm still surprised at the speed of arrival and the remaining power.

bigoldron
September 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
What about the Straving pigmys in New Guniea Shiner? Did you send them ay beer?

Sorry, Street. Can't say as I've ever straved a pygmy before... :rotflmao:

I may get a couple of goats instead of a mule. They can at least keep the grass down and pull a cart too... :whatever:

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Wow, Ike is still packing a serious punch up here in Ohio. Trees in town are coming down, traffic lights are all out, and the one tree next to the house is smacking up against the house and gutters as I type.

My son was coming home from work about an hour ago and there are trees down on the road at the back of our property. A neighbor just came home and said all the lights are out and there is debris blowing all over town. They increased the possible wind gust to 65 mph.

I can't imagine how it must have been in Texas.

luvmyshiner
September 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Damn, y'all must have weak trees Strummy.:D Honestly, it wasn't that bad here. But the boy's flight into Houston was canceled today. He's hoping to make it back tomorrow.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Well, in the 16 years we've lived in this house, we just lost our first tree. One of the trees next to the house lost about half of the tree as part of the trunk split. The tree is about 20 feet from the house, but luckily it somehow fell in the opposite direction of the wind.

I have a huge Walnut tree on the same side of the house that is really bending, fortunately it isn't real close and probably wouldn't hit the house if it comes down.

This is suppose to last until 2:00AM and the lights continue to flicker. Should be an interesting night.

Childbride
September 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Well, in the 16 years we've lived in this house, we just lost our first tree. One of the trees next to the house lost about half of the tree as part of the trunk split. The tree is about 20 feet from the house, but luckily it somehow fell in the opposite direction of the wind.

I have a huge Walnut tree on the same side of the house that is really bending, fortunately it isn't real close and probably wouldn't hit the house if it comes down.

This is suppose to last until 2:00AM and the lights continue to flicker. Should be an interesting night.

y'all need some mesquite. [grin] strummy, talked to Dugly/AnnA. they made it ok, but AnnA had some property damage. there's issues with power, phone lines, flooding. they have curfews right now.

he's a fast moving storm, and hope that he's out of your way in a hurry.

hate that you lost a tree/trees. may you and yours be safe,
k

street music
September 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I just back in from helping our guys get the power restored to several areas. WE have had several trees uprooted. Kodiak had some minor damageat his home , in the Louisville area they have a lot of power outages and damage. IKE saved something for the rest of us. RON, I directed the pygmy joke towards Shiner. You have to watch a lot of redneck comedy to really know the meaning of it.

Katastrophe
September 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Stay inside and be careful, brother. Hope the storm blows over quickly.

Bloozcat
September 15th, 2008, 06:50 AM
It's sad to look at the pictures of the devastation in Galveston, and all around the bay. The storm is just the event that everyone on the outside watches. The real sorrow comes during the long clean-up and rebuilding that will take many, many months. A lot of lives, and a lot of memories have been wiped out.

Utility trucks from here in Florida have already left to help out, along with many volunteers. From the Carolinas down around Florida, accross the southern Gulf states down to the Tex-Mex border, we all know what Texas is feeling now.

The state of Florida is investigating some gas stations for price gouging. I watched 2-3 local gas stations raise there prices litterally overnight from $3.62 a gallon to $3.85 a gallon. They did this without receiving any new gas shippments at a higher wholesale cost to them. That means that the same gas that was selling for $3.62 a gallon one day went up $.23 a gallon overnight without anything but greed driving it. The Governor has issued a public statement that said Florida's supply of gas had not been interupted by the hurricane, which means that if there are any price increases to come in the aftermath of the hurricane, our current supply of gasoline should not reflect that yet.

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2008, 07:15 AM
My wife and I were watching some coverage this morning and were just amazed at the impact on peoples' lives. Even if one is spared true tragedy and loss of a loved one, the impact on work, finances, etc. is devastating. My prayers go out to all affected.

wingsdad
September 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Good to hear damage was minimal for our Texan fretters...

A small team of volunteers from our local chapter of the American Red Cross is on its way to help, and more are headed out from others around SoCal, just as they did with Katrina.

Just like firefighters and other first responders come here to help us out when our annual wildfire season hits SoCal in October (we're ripe right now...that 25" of rain sounded mighty good...that's about 5 years' worth in this desert...had about 5" year-to-date), or when a fairly big quake (vs. the usual daily 2.0-3.0 tremblor) shakes us up a bit.