PDA

View Full Version : 60th anniversary strat

tunghaichuan
September 11th, 2008, 06:46 AM
A guy I know is selling a 60th anniversay strat. He wants $400 for it.

Any comments on the strat itself? Is that a good price?

I believe this guitar is MIM?

I know a few of you have this guitar so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

tung

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I have the MIM Std. 60th. It is blizzard pearl, like in my avatar. The american version was sunburst, I believe. I really like mine. I thought it was nicer than the other MIM's I was looking at when I purchased, and liked the pups better. They are tex/mex, and I really like the sound. The neck is really nice too. The quality seemed to me to be a step above the other MIM's in the store, as if the workers were taking pride in the model. Now, YMMV, and there are a lot of nice MIM's out there. This was just what I was finding when I was shopping, and I was a brand new guitar player then.

I think you may be able to find them for $350 if you look and are patient, based on what ShortBuSX has said, but you would have to consider shipping, and if that brings it within $10 and you can look at, play and like the one that you know of, that could be the way to buy.

Here is a link to my initial thoughts on mine.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1707

tunghaichuan
September 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks Steve,

I knew you had one (from your avatar) and was hoping that you'd chime in. Thanks for the referral to the other thread, this guitar looks cool. I'll have to go check it out.

tung

I have the MIM Std. 60th. It is blizzard pearl, like in my avatar. The american version was sunburst, I believe. I really like mine. I thought it was nicer than the other MIM's I was looking at when I purchased, and liked the pups better. They are tex/mex, and I really like the sound. The neck is really nice too. The quality seemed to me to be a step above the other MIM's in the store, as if the workers were taking pride in the model. Now, YMMV, and there are a lot of nice MIM's out there. This was just what I was finding when I was shopping, and I was a brand new guitar player then.

I think you may be able to find them for $350 if you look and are patient, based on what ShortBuSX has said, but you would have to consider shipping, and if that brings it within $10 and you can look at, play and like the one that you know of, that could be the way to buy.

Here is a link to my initial thoughts on mine.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1707

Spudman
September 11th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I've played several of the 60th Strats and every one of them was a keeper. If that one is in great shape, has the gig bag and trem bar then it is worth that price. They aren't going to go down in value. That is one MIM that holds it's value well. It's a high quality guitar.

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Here are a couple of old clips. Hopefully I have improved since then, but maybe gives you an idea of the sound.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5359&page=2 (Bminor Blues collab, my take is post # 25)

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5557 (Black Magic Woman collab)

ZMAN
September 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I have one also and it is a very nice guitar. The Tex Mex pickups are quite responsive. The guitar is basically a Jimi Vaughan with a C shaped neck, and a 3 ply guard. Mine has a highly flamed neck and I love the vintage tint on the neck. If the guitar is in good shape I would jump all over the 400 dollar price tag. It came with a deluxe 60th Ann. Gig bag as well.

just strum
September 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM
A guy I know is selling a 60th anniversay strat. He wants $400 for it.

Any comments on the strat itself? Is that a good price?

I believe this guitar is MIM?

I know a few of you have this guitar so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

tung

Offer him $325. If you like it, go up to $360 (gradually) if he balks at $325.

IMHO

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Offer him $325. If you like it, go up to $360 (gradually) if he balks at $325.

IMHO

I just contacted the guy who owns the guitar. He is kind of a new friend of mine.

He put the guitar up on Ebay and is firm on $360. The guitar does have a rail pickup in the bridge, Duncan I think.

I'm not sure I can scrape the cash together, so I'm just going to see what the guitar does on Ebay.

tung

ShortBuSX
September 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Id talk him down like a collector would: Oh 60th Aniv? Wow! Do you have hang tags? Reciepts and such? Ewww, you modified the electronics(pickups)? Geeee, I dunno man...Im thinkin $325

Keep looking for things to knock him down with.

Ebay and shipping isnt that much fun...$325 saves you all that hassle...
Act like youre doing him a favor.:AOK:

ZMAN
September 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I love these threads. They let me rediscover my guitars. I broke out the 60th last night and player her for a while. Other than being pretty heavy it sounded and played beautifully. I had forgotten about how flamed the neck was and how sweet those tex mex sounded.

ctguy1955
November 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've played several of the 60th Strats and every one of them was a keeper. If that one is in great shape, has the gig bag and trem bar then it is worth that price. They aren't going to go down in value. That is one MIM that holds it's value well. It's a high quality guitar.

The guy who sold me mine was the original buyer and her did not play
guitar and it sat around for 4 years without being played. I paid 400 plus
20 for gas for him to bring it to my house, as my truck was in the shop
having its engine rebuilt. I fell in love with just the picture of it on
craigslist, but when I saw it in person......WOW!!!

This was in such MINT condition and so well made......I felt like I stole it
and here people are saying 325........... I guess it depends on how "used" something is. Mine did not come with a special gig bag, just a normal one.
That is kinda strange......but oh well, Im never going to sell it and its a keeper.http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_120094ce9fc9a5aeee.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1831)

sunvalleylaw
November 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hey Mike! I don't know what everyone else thinks, but if you found an almost new one that you love, who cares if it wasn't $50 or so cheaper? If you found a keeper for 4 bills, one that you love, good on ya! I think I paid $450 for mine, and I would not have wanted to trade the $125 I might have saved for the four years of joy I have had playing it. Mine was nearly new from a good player, and was as you say, mint. I have not regretted that purchase at all. :dance

ctguy1955
November 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I was wondering what you think about different necks?
Ive only played my 9.5 radius Medium Jumbo frets with
a maple neck and Frets........Are other boards going to
feel that much different? I like the looks of the maple
in that its light, instead of dark, but wondered if the feel
is going to be the same? What should I use on my
60th Ann guitars boards.....Lemon oil ???????

Thanks for info !!!!!!!!!

Mike

sunvalleylaw
November 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Hey Mike. I am not the most experienced guy here, but i have owned a couple/few guitars now. I really, really love the 9.5 neck on my strat. It is probably my favorite of the electric guitars I have played.

Except when I am in the mood for something really easy and buttery, then I love the neck radius and material on my Hagstrom, which has a composite proprietary material that mimics ebony, and is smooth as silk to play over. That material, along with the shorter scale length, makes it that much easier to play in terms of tension. But sometimes the strat feels more comfortable to play, so it just depends. I have a rosewood board on my Martin, and i like that too.

So yes, other necks feel different, but I think you adjust to what you are playing. The exception for me I think is the really vintage 7.5 radius tele type necks. Those things are hard to play for me. Or on the other extreme, a super duper flat, action absolutely on the ground, shredder neck. Those feel weird to me too. But again, those are my hands and what they like. I think if you stay in a moderate range, one adjusts pretty easily.

As far as upkeep on your maple necked strat, really they need very little. I would not over oil them with lemon oil or other conditioner. That is more for rosewood boards. Even with rosewood, I am not one to over do it. Some guys use gun stock oil or the like too on their rosewood, and all sorts of conditioners are made. But the semi-gloss maple necks don't really need much. Just clean it once in a while with a soft cloth, and if you want, give it a little oil once in a long while. As it is sealed with the semi-gloss, the oil will not really absorb, so you don't want to do that a whole lot or it will just gum up. EDIT: I have never oiled mine, and it does not seem like it needs it.

markb
November 28th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Maple boards are lacquered. The oil would just run off. They don't need any treatment.