PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, a wee bit west of Boston...

poodlesrule
September 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Well, I have asked a few questions here, and even corresponded with a few of ya, so it's time to introduce myself:

Old dude, pretty much starting playing from scratch, dreaming of someday playing (and singing?) "Stormy Monday" decently...!

West of Boston is home, but I am a metric import!

Musical history: no actual playing, I was just fortunate to have a schoolmate who introduced me to blues and rock, and was able to see a bunch of blues guys live, mostly in Montreux, Switzerland -- Albert King still stands so tall in my memory! Later in the U.S. I managed to catch some jazz greats in Boston clubs --anybody remember Jonathan Swift...now an upscale clothing shop... sad! Actually then I was mixing jazz with dancing and spent a bunch of time in dance clubs, some fun to be had... cool chicks, drinking, mixing with odd characters..! Adept female dancers can be excellent rhythm teachers... hmm

Well, still shopping for equipment, but I really s*ck at buying anything, even though I need to treat myself as I am five years out of working on a major disease, a long road...
In that spirit, I almost bought an Ibanez Artcore, but am attracted to the warmth of P90s
Just got a Vox Pathfinder -- in UPS truck, somewhere...

Oh yeah, I brew beer (stout!), have friends in vintage motorcyle racing, and treasure my beloved VFR...!

Carry on!

warren0728
September 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
welcome poodlesrule....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

just strum
September 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I was wondering when you would get around to posting in this section.

Official welcome.

evenkeel
September 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the gang. Eons ago Cambridge, Mass. was home and for a brief period so was Hopkinton.

mrmudcat
September 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
WELCOME:bravo:

Robert
September 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Welcome! Do you run the marathon? I ran it this year!

luvmyshiner
September 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Welcome aboard Poodles!

duhvoodooman
September 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Glad to see you making it "official" with an introduction, Poodles.

My daughter just started college in Boston, so I'll be traveling back & forth your way. I'm over near Albany NY.

Been to any Johnny A shows? Man, I love that cat's playin'! :AOK: :bravo: :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Nice to meet you Poodlesrule! (though I own a Vizsla). Glad to know a bit more about you. I would love to visit Boston someday.

SuperSwede
September 12th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Welcome Poodlesrule!

poodlesrule
September 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Nice to meet you Poodlesrule! (though I own a Vizsla).

Cockapoo actually...!

would love to visit Boston someday.

Sure, but if you can, rent a car and travel south to Cape Cod, and north and west to Western Mass., Southern NH - southern VT. Neat little towns... a lot to see and enjoy!

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Nice intro. How's your stout recipe?

ZMAN
September 12th, 2008, 05:30 AM
My daughter lives up in Maine and I will be driving by in a couple of weeks.
Went to Boston in the spring to go to a Red Sox game. Spent several mights in Camden, and over on Beacon hill and the Waterfront district, a really nice place. Took a duckboat tour as well.
I would go for a good Strat, they have been discussed lately alot here, there are many great Squiers. Also a Les Paul style guitar. You will notice I didn't say Gibson. If you can afford one get the Gibby if not there are some killer budget brands out there as well.

poodlesrule
September 12th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Nice intro. How's your stout recipe?

It is not mine, came from a beermaking forum I am on. It is an all-grain recipe, attempting to replicate Guiness ("the way it used" to be said the creator).
First batch came out very nice, except for the 1/3 I decided to add coffee to... too strong!

... If P90's were beer, would they be a stout?:D

Jimi75
September 12th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Welcome to the forum! You will love this place.

By the way, I worked closely with the poeple organizing the Montreux Jazz Festival as we supplied a bunch of equipment for the musicians. I was invited there two times and saw Diana Krall in 2000 and Chick Corea in 2001 - a great and special place ain't it?

:AOK:

oldguy
September 12th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Welcome to TheFret! :)

Algonquin
September 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the Fret.
Cheers :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
... If P90's were beer, would they be a stout?:D
OK d00d, you've now banished me to several weeks of beer tasting & pup fiddling.

I'll let you know when I'm done.

poodlesrule
September 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Welcome! Do you run the marathon? I ran it this year!

I thought about you as I rode over the finish line marking, while looking for parking yesterday...!
The line is still there, and thick; used to be gone within weeks...

scgmhawk
September 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Welcome poodle. And here's a home brew cheers! :beer:

Brian Krashpad
September 14th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Mmm, stout!

Welcome!