PDA

View Full Version : New Vox Valvetronix Series on the way

Lev
September 12th, 2008, 06:05 AM
looks like a replacement for the AD**VT's with 22 amps, 66 presets, 8 user presets. Looks a lot more versatile than the old AD**VT's/

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixVT/vt15-30-50-100.asp

Jimi75
September 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Line 6's flextone got worse after they reworked it. I cross my fingers that Vox does better, now that I am so impressed with the quality of these amphs.

:AOK:

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Line 6's flextone got worse after they reworked it. I cross my fingers that Vox does better, now that I am so impressed with the quality of these amphs.

:AOK:

OK, I give. Why do most people on this site spell it amphs.? :confused: I must have missed that thread.

tung

Robert
September 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Tung, read this http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403

marnold
September 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Looks like it could be pretty cool and address some issues with the original AD**VT series, especially the number of user presets. I like the fact that reverb is always available regardless of the other effect settings. My concern without seeing the whole control layout is that it could become more confusing than it already is.

stingx
September 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I'll be all over the Black Diamond.

Mr Grumpy
September 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Looks like I'll be GASssing for the 50VT now. thanks for that ;)

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Cool Beans!

Is the new Express Train model based on a Trainwreck?

I'll have to take a peek at the manual to figure out how the models knob:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixVT/images/vt30_amp_knob.jpg

works with two models for each bullet. It must be that button in the upper green.

I'll bet that A:Green is the upper model & B Red is the lower one.

R_of_G
September 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
OK, I give. Why do most people on this site spell it amphs.? :confused: I must have missed that thread.

tung

I asked the exact same question today. Great minds think alike.

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I asked the exact same question today. Great minds think alike.

I saw that. Thanks for asking, it cleared that up for me :rotflmao:

tung

markb
September 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Cool Beans!

Is the new Express Train model based on a Trainwreck?

I'll have to take a peek at the manual to figure out how the models knob:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixVT/images/vt30_amp_knob.jpg

works with two models for each bullet. It must be that button in the upper green.

I'll bet that A:Green is the upper model & B Red is the lower one.

Express Train model description from the manual, interesting.

"This models a wood-finished 30W boutique amp head that cost more than $25,000. It
delivers sparkling glassy clean tones, and raising the gain will produce overdrive
sounds that are startlingly sweet in a musical way."

It also has tweed Deluxe and Twin models for a bit more Fendery nuance and (hurrah) they've separated the reverb from the other effects.

TS808
September 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I've really got to liking my Vox AD50VT 212 the longer I've owned it. These are impressive, and look like a step up from the previous versions, but again, the same speakers. Why not upgrade the speaker to a Neo? Also, why did they keep the same cheese grater grilles?? I like the fact too that these amps (oops, I mean amphs!) offer more presets? Also, I wish they would add the effects loop to the 50 watter too!

Other than that, looks really cool. The Black Diamond will be the flagship model apparently, at a screaming 200 watts.

TS808
September 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Do I see a "super 4x10" model on there? Super Reverb!

marnold
September 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hey, I _like_ the cheese grater! Not only is cheese a cherished way of life up here in artery-clogged Wisconsin, it keeps the speaker nice and safe from the feet of small children.

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hey, I _like_ the cheese grater! Not only is cheese a cherished way of life up here in artery-clogged Wisconsin, it keeps the speaker nice and safe from the feet of small children.
Yup, I'm a cheesegrater fan as well.

I think the VOX diamond grill cloth is ugly.

just strum
September 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
The 15 and 30 are suppose to be available end of October and the 30 has a MSRP of $375.00. What is the adjustment on amps for street value?

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
The 15 and 30 are suppose to be available end of October and the 30 has a MSRP of $375.00. What is the adjustment on amps for street value? According to Musician's Friend the old model AD30VT has an MSRP of $350.00 & now sells for $249.00. So I'd say that that the VT30 might sell for $274.00.

Anyone lusting for an AD series amph should keep their eyes peeled for a blowout.

TS808
September 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Yup, I'm a cheesegrater fan as well.

I think the VOX diamond grill cloth is ugly.

I painted my cheese grater flat black.

Duff
September 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM
That Black Diamond is supposed to be a really awesome amp and this whole series of amps has been highly protected behind a heavy curtain of secrecy.

Supposedly the industry is very highly competitive with survival being something that is very important and the development of a new amph from the ground up is not a light endeavor. I'm sure they constantly reverse engineer each other's stuff regularly.

I'd buy a blow out Cheese Grater 50 or 50 two twelve or 100, definitely, if the price was right, which it probably will be. I love my little DA5 and it isn't even a valvetronix.

I did some repairs on my DA5 the other night. The power plug jack was not working. I took it apart, the cabinet, and spotted some broken solder joints at the power plug jack and heated it up and added a small amount of new solder. The I notices some semi microscopic breaks in the trace right at the same spot and heated them up gently with a pencil fifteen watt weller iron. Added a small amt of solder and it works great. I almost always use flux. Flux will greatly, greatly help you with your soldering jobs if you are just learning how to solder.

Flux is a paste that when brushed on the joint to be soldered burns off rapidly when you hit the area with a hot soldering iron. It burns off impurities, oil, etc., and prepares the solder joint to accept solder for optimum adherence, then you apply some very thin solder and it flows and sticks well instead of beading up and rolling off.

Also, flux core solder, a good thing, is NOT a substitute for using brush on paste flux.

I have been soldering before I knew how to read and I'm still not a master. If you can solder, you can fix a lot of things and put in new pups, etc.

I'd love one of those Black Diamonds but will settle for a blow out chromie 50 or preferably 100. Should have gotten a AD60VTX back when I was looking at them. I guess these are what the Black Diamond is replacing due to design improvements suggested from various quarters.

Duff

Duff
September 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Check this dude out. This is the one that has been behind the curtain of security and is supposed to be the long awaited replacement for the discontinued AD60 and 120VTX. Should have an all tube power section with a lot of other things, as you can see, plus a large price tag.

Quote from the Vox link page below. This is supposedly a very important design change suggested by a prominent amp expert and possibly taken seriously by Vox, in conjunction, of course, with their crew of expert professionals:

"...the 12AX7 vacuum tube typically used in a preamp is operated as the power amp. Since the 12AX7 is a dual triode tube, it allows the push-pull circuit seen in many guitar amps to be created using just one vacuum tube. However even if this small vacuum tube is operated as a power amp, it will naturally produce only a very small output. Thus, it is connected to the VariAmp power circuit which merely increases the output power in a very clean way, and a special circuit that applies the varying impedance of the driven speaker to the vacuum tube. The result is that using just a small 12AX7 vacuum tube that can be easily obtained anywhere, we can obtain the same response and playing feel of an all-tube amp."

The old valvetronix amps, AD30VT, etc., had only a tube preamp and this was thought in some circles to be a good idea but that the tube would have had a better effect if linked to the power amp section, for tone,etc.

This new design, therefore, is seen by some to be a MAJOR design improvement and suggests that this amp will be awesome and very sought after, despite its reputably high price tag.

Sure looks like a great item.

Maybe I'll be able to get an AD100VT soon.

I hope this info is found helpful to some of us that are both familiar with this issue as well as those that have not heard about this important aspect of modeling amp design.

Link to the full description page: http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/blackdiamond.asp

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/9-12-08/DiamondBlackMain.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
September 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Check this dude out. This is the one that has been behind the curtain of security and is supposed to be the long awaited replacement for the discontinued AD60 and 120VTX. Should have an all tube power section with a lot of other things, as you can see, plus a large price tag.

Quote from the Vox link page below. This is supposedly a very important design change suggested by a prominent amp expert and possibly taken seriously by Vox, in conjunction, of course, with their crew of expert professionals:

"...the 12AX7 vacuum tube typically used in a preamp is operated as the power amp. Since the 12AX7 is a dual triode tube, it allows the push-pull circuit seen in many guitar amps to be created using just one vacuum tube. However even if this small vacuum tube is operated as a power amp, it will naturally produce only a very small output. Thus, it is connected to the VariAmp power circuit which merely increases the output power in a very clean way, and a special circuit that applies the varying impedance of the driven speaker to the vacuum tube. The result is that using just a small 12AX7 vacuum tube that can be easily obtained anywhere, we can obtain the same response and playing feel of an all-tube amp."

The old valvetronix amps, AD30VT, etc., had only a tube preamp and this was thought in some circles to be a good idea but that the tube would have had a better effect if linked to the power amp section, for tone,etc.

This new design, therefore, is seen by some to be a MAJOR design improvement and suggests that this amp will be awesome and very sought after, despite its reputably high price tag. I think that you are a bit confused Duff. That is the way all Valvetronix amps have always worked.

The 12AX7 has always come after the all-digital preamp & is used as a very small class A (one triode) or Class A/B (both triodes) power amp. This 12AX7 power is followed by a very clean solid state amp (VariAmp) with an adjustable wattage to bring the volume up to the spec'd wattage. I believe that the speaker impedance feedback mentioned above comes from a dummy speaker load located before the VariAmp. This is also why the adjusting the wattage on the back works so well.

You are simply turning down the clean solid-state power amp & are thus not affecting the tone or feel at all--save for the fact that the brain perceives timbre differently at different volumes.

For the latter problem you'd need to mod your brain.

tunghaichuan
September 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I wonder why Vox went with a 12AX7 for this design? The 12AX7 can work as a power tube, but isn't really suited to it. A better choice would have been the 12AU7. Even though it is a "preamp tube" (technically a small signal dual triode) it is a better current amplifier, which is what power amp tubes are. In fact, the 12AU7 is used in the 1.5w Firefly which Shiner and Vood have built.

The only thing I can think of is that the 12AX7 is still made by a bunch of manufacturers. I don't know if the 12AU7 is still in production, and even if it is, it probably is not made in the quantities that the 12AX7 is.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
September 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I wonder why Vox went with a 12AX7 for this design? The 12AX7 can work as a power tube, but isn't really suited to it. A better choice would have been the 12AU7. Even though it is a "preamp tube" (technically a small signal dual triode) it is a better current amplifier, which is what power amp tubes are. In fact, the 12AU7 is used in the 1.5w Firefly which Shiner and Vood have built.

The only thing I can think of is that the 12AX7 is still made by a bunch of manufacturers. I don't know if the 12AU7 is still in production, and even if it is, it probably is not made in the quantities that the 12AX7 is.

tung
I'll try a 12AU7 in my Tonelab. I'll use the tube trim mode to make sure the output is what the AD converter that comes after the tube expects.

tunghaichuan
September 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I'll try a 12AU7 in my Tonelab. I'll use the tube trim mode to make sure the output is what the AD converter that comes after the tube expects.

:eek: Not to be a nervous nelly, but I wouldn't do that. The plate and cathode resistors are optimized for the 12AX7 so a 12AU7 might do funny things if put into the socket. The wattage ratings of the resistors is important too. They are most likely 1/4 watt, maybe even 1/8th watt rated. The 12AU7 might draw more current and burn them out.

If you still want to try it, I would email Vox's tech support and ask them if it would work and will not harm anything.

One of the biggest misconceptions about the 12**7 family of tubes is that some are low gain versions of the others. Not true. They all kind of look alike, and share the same pinout and are vacuum tubes, but that's where the similarities end. They all have different electrical characteristics and have different intended purposes.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
September 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
:eek: Not to be a nervous nelly, but I wouldn't do that. The plate and cathode resistors are optimized for the 12AX7 so a 12AU7 might do funny things if put into the socket. The wattage ratings of the resistors is important too. They are most likely 1/4 watt, maybe even 1/8th watt rated. The 12AU7 might draw more current and burn them out.

If you still want to try it, I would email Vox's tech support and ask them if it would work and will not harm anything.
tungThanks for the warning! I would've just tried it for a lark. I don't think it would've made any difference anyway.

Robert
September 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I am very interested in trying out the VT amps. They seem to be costing slightly more than the ADxxVT amps, but probably quite a bit better, considering the speaker simulator in the line-out and more/better amp models and effects.

Duff
September 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I guess I was wrong.

I thought the tube was in the preamp section on the Chromies and not used as a power amp. Thought I read some criticism of that set up and that the tube should have been in the power section.

My apology for throwing in some inaccurate info regarding those amps.

I still want to get one of the old style ones if they blow them out.

Duff

tot_Ou_tard
September 14th, 2008, 07:13 AM
No problem Duff!

Express Train model description from the manual, interesting.

"This models a wood-finished 30W boutique amp head that cost more than $25,000. It
delivers sparkling glassy clean tones, and raising the gain will produce overdrive
sounds that are startlingly sweet in a musical way."
Then it is indeed modeled on a Trainwreck

Trainwreck Circuits
Ken Fischer created Trainwreck Circuits in 1981. These amps are considered in the elite league of amps, as well as being a pioneer for the boutique market. He worked for Ampeg in the 1960’s, and later for Sundown Amps in the late 1970’s. These amps have unique circuits based on El-84 and EL-34 Power tubes. They’re considered by many to be the ultimate lead guitar amp. Unable to make amps due to poor health, Fischer still creates amp designs. Komet and Kendrick are 2 companies he designed circuits for, but is not involved in the actual production. These are good amps, but not considered by most collectors and players to be in the same league as his personally made amps. Each amp is individually given a female name in lieu of a serial number. Every cabinet is made with exotic woods and given a clear lacquer finish. They’re custom voiced for the original purchaser, thus making each amp unique. His amps generally bring 15 to 20,000 dollars in the used market. Some have gone even higher due to the rarity. Few people have attempted to make actual copies of his amps, leaving Fischer’s amps in a class all by themselves.

http://www.soniccontrol.com/guitar/images/040805/trainwreck-amanda.jpg

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2008, 07:40 AM
RIP, Ken Fischer.

Ken died almost two years ago on December 23, 2006.

He was one of the giants of the amp building industry.

Lots of YouTube videos featuring Trainwreck Amps:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trainwreck+amps&search_type=&aq=f

There are lots of cloners, DIYers, and imitators, but no one has come close to capturing the tone that a real trainwreck can deliver.

tung

No problem Duff!

Then it is indeed modeled on a Trainwreck

Trainwreck Circuits
Ken Fischer created Trainwreck Circuits in 1981. These amps are considered in the elite league of amps, as well as being a pioneer for the boutique market. He worked for Ampeg in the 1960’s, and later for Sundown Amps in the late 1970’s. These amps have unique circuits based on El-84 and EL-34 Power tubes. They’re considered by many to be the ultimate lead guitar amp. Unable to make amps due to poor health, Fischer still creates amp designs. Komet and Kendrick are 2 companies he designed circuits for, but is not involved in the actual production. These are good amps, but not considered by most collectors and players to be in the same league as his personally made amps. Each amp is individually given a female name in lieu of a serial number. Every cabinet is made with exotic woods and given a clear lacquer finish. They’re custom voiced for the original purchaser, thus making each amp unique. His amps generally bring 15 to 20,000 dollars in the used market. Some have gone even higher due to the rarity. Few people have attempted to make actual copies of his amps, leaving Fischer’s amps in a class all by themselves.

http://www.soniccontrol.com/guitar/images/040805/trainwreck-amanda.jpg