PDA

View Full Version : Why "amph" and not "amp"?

R_of_G
September 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm a curious person and I can't help myself but ask questions like this one. I notice that in discussions here about amplifiers many/most people abbreviate the word to "amph". I'm curious about why "amph" instead of "amp" as there is not an "h" in the word amplifier.

I even just noticed as I was typing this post that "amph" gets underlined in red by the spell-checker but "amp" does not.

I'm not picking on anyone, nor does it even matter to me because I know what people mean when they write "amph" but I was curious as to why an abbreviation would add a letter not in the word being abbreviated.

wingsdad
September 12th, 2008, 08:32 AM
For the full story, tune in to this broadcast:

It's All Here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403)

Spudman
September 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
You have a bit of catching up to do.:D

street music
September 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I guess that I do too.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Classic Fret lore.

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I'm a curious person and I can't help myself but ask questions like this one. I notice that in discussions here about amplifiers many/most people abbreviate the word to "amph". I'm curious about why "amph" instead of "amp" as there is not an "h" in the word amplifier.
Partly so Fretters like you will ask the question & then someone (thanks Wingsdad!) will post the answer & the rest of us get to blow coffee through our noses in rollicking laughter again.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::D:rotflmao::rotflmao:

Thanks R of G!

R_of_G
September 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Glad I could help out Tot. Thanks for the explanation guys. I'm glad there was one. Made for interesting reading.

bigoldron
September 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Glad I could help out Tot. Thanks for the explanation guys. I'm glad there was one. Made for interesting reading.

I'm glad too. The "amph" has been bugging me for a while, but I was afraid to ask. The scary thing is that these people tend to breed... :whatever: :crazyguy:

wingsdad
September 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
... The "amph" has been bugging me for a while, but I was afraid to ask.
As curious as I was as to why in 46 years of playing guitar I :thwap: never heard of an 'amph' until I landed here, I, too, was afraid to ask. It took about 6 months before someone else finally did and that ground-breaking thread was pointed out. :rotflmao: Phew...

...The scary thing is that these people tend to breed...
The scarier thing is that some people rely on Harmony Central Reviews as Gospel to make purchase decisions. :whatever:

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Before I read the explanation early on, I just figured it was one of those European spellings.

tot_Ou_tard
September 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Before I read the explanation early on, I just figured it was one of those European spellings.
You mean like schtraat & tieli?

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 07:01 AM
You mean like schtraat & tieli?
:rotflmao:

bigoldron
September 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Gee, I kinda thought maybe it was Canadien, eh? :D