PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Boss told me I need a new laptop. :bravo: I got 2 recommendations from one of our IT guys here at work. They're both Dells as we get them through our GSA purchasing. One model is the Dell Latitude Energy Star D830. The other is the Dell Precision M4300 Vista. I don't know crap about laptops. I need one that has lots of HD space and of course one with a fast processor and very powerful graphics card as I deal with huge CAD/GIS files. I have the specs on both books and I'm researching further but I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with either of these puppies.

stingx
September 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Boss told me I need a new laptop. :bravo: I got 2 recommendations from one of our IT guys here at work. They're both Dells as we get them through our GSA purchasing. One model is the Dell Latitude Energy Star D830. The other is the Dell Precision M4300 Vista. I don't know crap about laptops. I need one that has lots of HD space and of course one with a fast processor and very powerful graphics card as I deal with huge CAD/GIS files. I have the specs on both books and I'm researching further but I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with either of these puppies.

Just get something with a 250GB or greater hard drive and at least a core duo proc and you'll be fine.

Robert
September 12th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Have you ever heard the term MacBook Pro? It's the answer to all the problems in the world. :D :D :D

R_of_G
September 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Have you ever heard the term MacBook Pro? It's the answer to all the problems in the world. :D :D :D

Quoted for truth.:AOK:

SuperSwede
September 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Quoted for truth.:AOK:

Quote quoted for truth :AOK:

warren0728
September 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Quote quoted for truth :AOK:
what they said...quoted i....just sayin' :pancake:

ww

markb
September 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
What Robert said.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Macs aren't approved for city government use. I specifically asked about the two PC books above. Rob give me some mod authority in here so I can these delete unhelpful posts.

...oh and I need it in the For Sale section too thanks.

:D

marnold
September 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Just a practical question: is there ANY laptop graphics solution that is powerful enough for serious CAD work?

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Our CAD files are fairly large in size as are my GIS shapefiles and ArcGIS project files but even my old Dell Inspiron handles them ok. Even handles Corel and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator files well enough. I just need a faster one with a good video graphics card. I went ahead and had our IT dude order the Precision 4300. Duo Core processor (nod to Stingx), 2.40 Ghtz and 4 meg of ram. Video card is the Nvidia Quadro FX 360M. As long as I don't drop it it should be ok.

Tibernius
September 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I went ahead and had our IT dude order the Precision 4300. Duo Core processor (nod to Stingx), 2.40 Ghtz and 4 meg of ram. Video card is the Nvidia Quadro FX 360M. As long as I don't drop it it should be ok.

4MB of RAM? :rotflmao: I think you mean 4GB!

Robert
September 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Tone, we just specifically like to bug you a little, that's all. :D
No, you're not getting such authority, because then we couldn't bug you like this. :D

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
4MB of RAM? :rotflmao: I think you mean 4GB!

I totally mistyped the word "are" too so I'm not surprised I mistyped 4MB LMAO.

Funny you say that Robert because the IT guys love picking on me too. They said it's "cause they liked me". I'm glad someone does! :beer:

SuperSwede
September 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Funny you say that Robert because the IT guys love picking on me too. They said it's "cause they liked me". I'm glad someone does! :beer:

Heh we love you dude... *group hug everyone*

oldguy
September 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with either of these puppies.

[Hug] I use a Panasonic Toughbook running Carlson software for GPS and the CAD program I run as well. Sorry that doesn't help, but at least my unhelpful post comes wrapped in a hug................[Hug}:rotflmao:

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM

You're getting slow, you let someone respond before you. I didn't even have to open up this thread to know what its content would be.

Here is a computer generated big MAC

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/AndyFlessasMaya4.jpg

Tone, I have a Latitude 820 and have been using it now for about two years. No problems to date, except I keep receiving unsolicited promotions for MAC computers. Doesn't happen all the time, only when I'm on thefret.

Tone2TheBone
September 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
You're getting slow, you let someone respond before you. I didn't even have to open up this thread to know what its content would be.

Here is a computer generated big MAC

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/AndyFlessasMaya4.jpg

Tone, I have a Latitude 820 and have been using it now for about two years. No problems to date, except I keep receiving unsolicited promotions for MAC computers. Doesn't happen all the time, only when I'm on thefret.

hahaha Now that's a Mac that I like! ;) Thank you for your approval Strum.

Thanks for the support Swede and Glenn!