PDA

View Full Version : Really cool vintage looking SX

Duff
September 13th, 2008, 01:13 AM
In my neglect to post pictures for a long time, I'm making up for lost time.

These pics are of the SX Gibson LP Jr. copy, supposedly, w two P90's. It has a beautiful vintage burst look and in the daylight pictures you can appreciate it best. This is a solid mahogany body with a mahogany set neck and an outstanding finish. I don't know how true it is to the original Gibson item but it must have substantial differences in order to avoid a lawsuit.

It plays sooooo nice. I'm playing it tonight and played it last night and this morning thru my Blackheart 3/5 watt head into the Epi 1 by 12 V JR cab and it sounds really really nice.

These were only on the rondo site for a few days before they disappeared. I got it about six months ago. I think it briefly reappeared for only a brief time. Definitely an "he who hesitates is lost" item; probably not unlike that mahogany P90 strat currently on the site for 109. I doubt if that lasts. How many mahogany strats do you usually see at rondo? Ash is big but not mahogany.

For 139 I think this guitar is an unbeievable deal. It is a specially sweet guitar in my opinion. I'm really glad I was able to pick it up. It is not, however, hum cancelling in the middle switch position like my Squire Tele Custom II is.

I see that Guitar Gal aparently got a Squire Tele Custom II. If so, how do you like it. I love mine and it is all black. It sounds so chimey and really growls thru that little Vox DA5 that I notice you also got. Some great choices in my opinion. Let me know what you think.

Here are some pics of the SX LP Jr:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010039.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010038.jpg

Tone2TheBone
September 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Nice looking guitar. Is that fretboard ebony? It looks like it.

warren0728
September 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
nice....how do the p90s sound....

ww

Duff
September 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM
The P90's sound super great but not noise cancelling in the middle position. The guitar is really nice.

As for the neck I'm not sure if it is ebony or not but it does not turn my fingers black, so that's an indication that it isn't dye. I paid 139 new for it from Rondo so I don't know if it's ebony and can't remember the exact statistics.

Duff

warren0728
September 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
The P90's sound super great but not noise cancelling in the middle position. The guitar is really nice.
that's surprising....maybe it is wired wrong...my prs is noise canceling in the middle position and i thought that was kinda standard...but then what do i know.... :whatever:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
September 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Why do you say supposedly with 2 P90s? Looks like 2 P90s to me.

Duff
September 16th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I say "supposedly", loosely; refering to the idea that the guitar is probably supposedly supposed to look like a Gibson LP Jr back when they made them with two P90's. Evidently most LP Jr P90's had only one P90, but I am not an expert or historian with any expertise in the exact style of the Gibson LP Jr with P90's or the pickup configuration.

Tot Ou Tard, do you think it looks reasonably true to the form of a Gibson LP Jr with two P90's? I would totally agree with you that there is no doubt that the pups are most definitely P90's, of course, needlesstosay.

I do, however, think it is a really nice looking, feeling, playing and sounding guitar for 139. The picture does not do justice to the beautiful antique burst finish but is not a bad picture either. All mahogany even the set neck.

Some P90 equiped guitars are not noise cancelling in the middle position. My Squire Tele Custom II with two P90's is hum cancelling to some degree in the middle position.

This SX sounds great in all three positions though but does hum as you would expect with a P90 equipped guitar.

Do you think it's a nice looking guitar? I do, obviously. The set neck allows the hammer ons and so forth to be transmitted right down to the pickups with great signal strength. Nuances played on the neck, I notice, seem to get thru to the amp with greater volume and clarity with set neck guitars; and my neck thru the body bass has the greatest sensitivity of this type and greatest sustain as well.

I can't remember if the board is ebony. Does anyone remember or know?

Duffy

Brian Krashpad
September 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
First, my neck was hurtin from lookin at those, here:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9146/p1010038ku6.jpg

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/396/p1010039hk7.jpg

:D

I say "supposedly", loosely; refering to the idea that the guitar is probably supposedly supposed to look like a Gibson LP Jr back when they made them with two P90's. Evidently most LP Jr P90's had only one P90, but I am not an expert or historian with any expertise in the exact style of the Gibson LP Jr with P90's or the pickup configuration.

Tot Ou Tard, do you think it looks reasonably true to the form of a Gibson LP Jr with two P90's? I would totally agree with you that there is no doubt that the pups are most definitely P90's, of course, needless to say.

The SX "Junior" is basically a dead ringer for an LP Special, the horn is somewhat sharper, and of course the headstock is changed. Here's a couple pics of the LP Special I used to own:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6585/bigjunieuy7.jpg

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5448/moefest04allsmallfp8.jpg

I'm not sure why, but everyone seems to confuse LP Juniors and Specials (I once had a letter to Guitar Player Magazine published correcting them on it! :D ). It's really quite simple, all Juniors have one P-90, a dogear near the bridge. All Specials have 2 soapbar P-90's. Both the Junior and the Special came in both singlecut and doublecut versions.

Of course, it doesn't help when another manufacturer like SX makes a Special copy and calls it a Junior instead! Gibson itself muddied the waters a few years back when it's official model name for an LP Special with P-100's (a stacked humbucker inside a soapbar cover) was a "Junior Special," which is possibly the most nonsensical model name I've ever heard (fortunately these guitars actually simply said "Les Paul Special" on the headstock, and most people referred to them as "P-100 LP Specials," or something similarly more accurate).

Some P90 equiped guitars are not noise cancelling in the middle position. My Squire Tele Custom II with two P90's is hum cancelling to some degree in the middle position.

This is correct. If the magnets in both P-90's are the same, there will be no hum-cancelling. In order for humbucking to occur in the middle position, one P-90 must be "reverse-wound/reverse polarity" (usually stated "rw/rp" for short) from the other. Some manufacturers, possibly most in modern times, do this. I have 5 P-90 guitars, and, oddly, the most expensive one (Hamer Special) with the most expensive pickups (Seymour Duncan P-90's) is the only one that does not have rw/rp P-90's!

hagarfreak33
September 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
nice looking guitar