PDA

View Full Version : unsure which upgrade to go for?

Mr Grumpy
September 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM
As I am suffering from something of a personal economic slowdown (along with most working folks around the world it would seem ) my GAS has had to be severely curtailed. Apart form haunting ebay looking for lonely and unloved pedals, I am thinking of the upgrade route but am not sure whether to upgrade my vox AD30 speaker to a Celestion G10 OR to get a set of GFS pickups for my Peavey tele. In truth I dont use the vox much at volume and tend to favour my toneport into phones or PC speakers at the minute but maybe a speaker upgrade would make me feel better about getting louder? Im also hoping to get out jamming at a local pubs jam night, using the house amps/pa. The GFS setup I am looking at is a bit quirky (I like quirky things) and is a HB-sized Filtertron 'Liverpool' at the bridge with a lipstick tube at mid and neck. Any advice on either course of action would be welcome, guys.

Father Christmas should be bringing me a Dano coolcat Distortion and one of the above......:rockon:

tunghaichuan
September 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
One thing to consider is that since your Vox is a modeling amp the speaker in it is probably very neutral, i.e., not colored (coloured? :D ). If you were to upgrade it, I would go with a neutral speaker but higher rated in the wattage department. If you use a speaker meant to go with a non-modeling amp, it may be too colored. OTOH, it may sound really good.

Since you favor your Peavey, you might get more mileage out of a new set of pickups. FWIW, IMHO, etc.

tung

As I am suffering from something of a personal economic slowdown (along with most working folks around the world it would seem ) my GAS has had to be severely curtailed. Apart form haunting ebay looking for lonely and unloved pedals, I am thinking of the upgrade route but am not sure whether to upgrade my vox AD30 speaker to a Celestion G10 OR to get a set of GFS pickups for my Peavey tele. In truth I dont use the vox much at volume and tend to favour my toneport into phones or PC speakers at the minute but maybe a speaker upgrade would make me feel better about getting louder? Im also hoping to get out jamming at a local pubs jam night, using the house amps/pa. The GFS setup I am looking at is a bit quirky (I like quirky things) and is a HB-sized Filtertron 'Liverpool' at the bridge with a lipstick tube at mid and neck. Any advice on either course of action would be welcome, guys.

Father Christmas should be bringing me a Dano coolcat Distortion and one of the above......:rockon:

marnold
September 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Another thought:
Some clever person here suggested checking out the Jensen Mod speakers. They're much cheaper than a Celestion and are supposed to be very neutral. Maybe this way you could do both!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-MOD1050-50W-10-Replacement-Speaker-?sku=665017

Earle G
January 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Considering all your this and thats I would stick with what you have and
fix or tweek it for the time being.